U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:13 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,041,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about taking Route 5 into Albany through the South Colonie area?
Yes, that is an alternative route, but it also gets clogged up just as bad as I90 does during rush hour. Especially if you work in downtown Albany and commute back home to Schenectady every day, that would suck. In the snow the thruway is fairly clear. Central Ave/route 5 is another story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:54 AM

63,253 posts, read 88,759,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Yes, that is an alternative route, but it also gets clogged up just as bad as I90 does during rush hour. Especially if you work in downtown Albany and commute back home to Schenectady every day, that would suck. In the snow the thruway is fairly clear. Central Ave/route 5 is another story.
It seems like it would be better for those that work at UAlbany, if someone lives in Woodlawn or Upper Union in Schenectady. Some may just work in/near Schenectady at Union College, SCCC, GE or KAPL.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:58 PM

133 posts, read 79,798 times
Quote:
As far as Schenectady is concerned, the neighborhoods near Ellis Hospital are nice until you get towards Union College. Van Vranken Ave and down that way are not really desirable areas. The Stockade neighborhood is probably the best place to live in Schenectady. If you need to live close to Schenectady and don't want to take the 90 toll road every day to get to the city, definitely consider Scotia. It's just across the river and very safe. Lots of families. Mohawk Ave has everything you'll need.

Colonie, Latham, and Guilderland are great for the most part if you want something more suburban.

Neighborhoods in Albany that are safe and nice to live in include:

New Scotland
Whitehall - Basically just a lot of long-term, older residents. Mostly single family housing.
Buckingham Lake area

Downtown Troy has made lots of progress in recent years. It's actually a nice place to live if you don't mind lack of off-street parking. I have some friends who live on the east side of the city on Linden Ave.. Not too bad over there.

Delmar, just south of Albany is quick to downtown Albany and very safe. Kind of expensive though. It's much less urban.
I don't have a ton to add that has not already been said in this thread, but I do want to mention that the Whitehall Road area near Delaware Ave has gone downhill. A lot of those long-term older residents you speak of sold homes when the new Middle School was built. The further away from the middle school you go, then Whitehall is back to being how it always used to be.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:11 PM

2,303 posts, read 1,931,579 times
Stick to Southern Saratoga County - Halfmoon and Clifton Park and Ballston Spa. Safest area by far.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
I don't have a ton to add that has not already been said in this thread, but I do want to mention that the Whitehall Road area near Delaware Ave has gone downhill. A lot of those long-term older residents you speak of sold homes when the new Middle School was built. The further away from the middle school you go, then Whitehall is back to being how it always used to be.
Interesting, I never knew that. I'll have to keep that in mind when recommending that neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I never knew that. I'll have to keep that in mind when recommending that neighborhood.
I’m curious as to what “downhill” means, as there are middle class, but high to pluralistically more Black neighborhoods in that area. Census Block Group 002000-1 in Albany County, New York

Census Block Group 002000-3 in Albany County, New York

Census Block Group 002000-2 in Albany County, New York

Census Block Group 002000-4 in Albany County, New York

Census tract: Census Tract 002000 in Albany County, New York

Zip code: 12209 Zip Code - USA.com™
12209 Zip Code Population and Races - USA.com™
12209 Zip Code Income and Careers - USA.com™

According to that source, the Black median household income is the highest of any group in that area and all other groups are middle class: Census Tract 002000 in Albany County, New York Income and Careers Same for the zip code, except for a low Asian MHHI.

I’m also curious if Medical students from the nearby Med Center/School may rent in that area and actually skew the poverty percentage and income information, as they are included in household information.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-10-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 06:56 AM

4,950 posts, read 2,073,739 times
Quote:

What also sucks about Schenectady is that in order to get to the Albany area, you have to take the thruway, which is a toll road. Since that's where the majority of the jobs are in the region, you're basically stuck paying insane property taxes along with an annoying, costly commute every day.
You don't "have to." When I was living in Sch'dy and working in Menands I took Troy-Schenectady Road all the way down to Delatour (right before you go down 19th St hill into Watervliet) and cut over onto 155. Last time I checked Menands was right above Albany. I didn't have much choice in that because I had been burned out of a Troy apartment building, so I had to suck it up until I could afford to move closer, which I did. I'm now on 7th Ave just off of 19th in Watervliet. 10-minute commute to work.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 945 times
I’m moving to Albany from Florida and not sure when I can find a decent place in a crime free environment. I would prefer a place that is not far from the state capital ( NYStateAssembly and legislative building areas). I can definitely use some ideas from anyone .
Thank you in advance

Old 10-13-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianee1990ab View Post
I’m moving to Albany from Florida and not sure when I can find a decent place in a crime free environment. I would prefer a place that is not far from the state capital ( NYStateAssembly and legislative building areas). I can definitely use some ideas from anyone .
Thank you in advance
What are you looking for in a neighborhood/community?

Old 10-15-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianee1990ab View Post
Thank you in advance
You buying or renting? What's your budget? Does walkability matter to you? How far of a commute would you like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or