U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 878,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openg30 View Post
LI Native here. 8 years to retirement. Loving all the tips and info.
Dreaming of living in Northern NY. Have a small place in Fulton County on Caroga Lake. Don't know that I would live there. Pretty rural and isolated. Gloversville is very run down.
I like the fact that I'm not alone in my desires. You guys are giving me hope!
Yeah G-ville and Caroga Lake would be the last places I'd want to retire to. If you want a smaller, safer community, Johnstown could work. It's near Caroga Lake.

If you want a slightly larger, safer community try Scotia. Plenty of affordable homes to buy under $200K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM

30 posts, read 22,670 times
Tough to say.
I will be of retirement age at the same time my youngest will be graduating high school.
I would like open space, my wife would like walking / biking to town.
I'm a garage putterer, shes a store browser. We both enjoy dinner and a drink in a nice pub.
Schools wont be a concern.
We've got time to look still.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM

1,395 posts, read 878,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openg30 View Post
Tough to say.
I will be of retirement age at the same time my youngest will be graduating high school.
I would like open space, my wife would like walking / biking to town.
I'm a garage putterer, shes a store browser. We both enjoy dinner and a drink in a nice pub.
Schools wont be a concern.
We've got time to look still.
Plenty of places in the Capital Region work for your situation, but it all depends on budget. Rexford, the outskirts of Scotia, outskirts of Amsterdam, and outskirts of Johnstown immediately came to mind.

Had a friend in HS whose parents lived in an old farm house off route 67 outside Johnstown. If you head east from their house, you're right on Main Street in Johnstown in less than like 5-10 minutes. Never any traffic on that road. Very quiet with lots of open land out that way yet you're close to all the small shops stuff like that in Johnstown. Cost of living over there is dirt cheap.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:27 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,827,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Hubbie and I are in our mid 60's. Hubbie still works and loves it. I retired but I'm considering going back to work. We currently live in upstate NY, have our large house/ farm for sale because we want to downsize. We don't want to move South altho we did check out Florida, but we really didn't like that either.

We really do not want to move again after retirement. So when we do sell our farm, since we will be working we need to stay within commuting distance of Albany.

Question: Has anyone retired to the "Capital area" of NY? We are looking for a nice town to retire too (eventually). When we sell our farm, we want to downsize, and then stay put when we retire, so we want to make this move count.

We are willing to be within a 50 mile radius of Albany (Hubbie already travels 57 miles each way).

I know the areas pretty good but spending the day someplace is not the same as living there. I was thinking of the Saratoga Springs area but it would be more expensive than other places.

Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.
Move somewhere warmer.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:41 AM

40 posts, read 24,679 times
How tough are the winters in Albany? looks like they get less snow and not as severe temps as Cental and Western NY.?

Old 11-23-2019, 02:07 PM

793 posts, read 329,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBottomBlues View Post
How tough are the winters in Albany? looks like they get less snow and not as severe temps as Cental and Western NY.?
I think it is very similar, though western NY sometimes gets hammered by lake effect snow (as in several feet of snow). My complaint is the length of winter.

Every time these questions come up I always recommend Saratoga Springs. Personally, I think it may be one of the best places in Upstate. There are some really beautiful towns with vibrant culture down the Hudson Valley corridor as well, like New Paltz and Woodstock, to name a couple. Art, music, theater, artisan shops galore, awesome food. Up in Saratoga there is SPAC and the horse track venues. Lots of places to hike, bike, camp, boat, swim, golf, hunt, etc. Albany and surrounding towns or cities are what I would characterize as more typical, with malls and suburbs. The farther north you go the more rural. Beyond Saratoga it gets more rural. Up 87 you will come to the Adirondacks. If you haven’t been to Lake Placid or the North Creek area I highly recommend visiting. The Saranac area has majestic ponds and lakes. If you live in Saratoga Springs all that is a drive up the Northway (87). One other note: In central NY is the Finger Lake region. This is another beautiful locale loaded with wineries, lakes, and forests.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 6,821 times
Personally, I wouldn't live in Saratoga. It's nice, and it's great to visit. But it's too expensive and too crowded with tourists in the summer. I'd much rather live in Ballston Lake, Ballston Spa, Scotia, etc., and hop over to Saratoga for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or