U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 01:00 PM

714 posts, read 605,119 times

Advertisements

Hubbie and I are in our mid 60's. Hubbie still works and loves it. I retired but I'm considering going back to work. We currently live in upstate NY, have our large house/ farm for sale because we want to downsize. We don't want to move South altho we did check out Florida, but we really didn't like that either.

We really do not want to move again after retirement. So when we do sell our farm, since we will be working we need to stay within commuting distance of Albany.

Question: Has anyone retired to the "Capital area" of NY? We are looking for a nice town to retire too (eventually). When we sell our farm, we want to downsize, and then stay put when we retire, so we want to make this move count.

We are willing to be within a 50 mile radius of Albany (Hubbie already travels 57 miles each way).

I know the areas pretty good but spending the day someplace is not the same as living there. I was thinking of the Saratoga Springs area but it would be more expensive than other places.

Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM

52,609 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Hubbie and I are in our mid 60's. Hubbie still works and loves it. I retired but I'm considering going back to work. We currently live in upstate NY, have our large house/ farm for sale because we want to downsize. We don't want to move South altho we did check out Florida, but we really didn't like that either.

We really do not want to move again after retirement. So when we do sell our farm, since we will be working we need to stay within commuting distance of Albany.

Question: Has anyone retired to the "Capital area" of NY? We are looking for a nice town to retire too (eventually). When we sell our farm, we want to downsize, and then stay put when we retire, so we want to make this move count.

We are willing to be within a 50 mile radius of Albany (Hubbie already travels 57 miles each way).

I know the areas pretty good but spending the day someplace is not the same as living there. I was thinking of the Saratoga Springs area but it would be more expensive than other places.

Hopefully others will post more specific information, but what about places like Ballston Spa or Waterford, which are walkable villages in Saratoga County?

Old 04-02-2018, 02:50 PM

979 posts, read 489,835 times
Scotia and Cohoes come to mind if you're looking for smaller towns that are near Albany. They don't have the price tag that Saratoga will have and they're still fairly walkable depending on where you are located.

Even the nicer parts of Colonie would be good. The streets that sit north of Central Ave just as you're heading west out of Albany seem to have a lot of older folks and families. Makes for a safe area. As long as you're further back enough off of Central, you'll never hear the traffic. Some airplane noise, but nothing that's ever truly bothersome.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Q44

786 posts, read 681,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post

I'll write a novella since this is one of my favorite topics.

Wife and I are about 3+ years from retirement and are staying in the Capital region. We've looked at Florida, Maine and North Carolina but between the kids and our lifestyle preferences have decided to stay in NY. We like the 4 seasons and where we're located we have lots of options for activities. We have a large house on a good size piece of property but we're not downsizing, we like this development.

So here are some details. I still work in Albany and live in Northern Columbia county. Think Martin Van Buren . . . It's actually just under 20 miles to work for me, it's a little longer mileage wise but faster if you opt to take I90. My average commute is 25 minutes. My wife works locally, 2 miles from home. The traffic southeast of Albany on this side of the river is significantly lighter than places west and north of the Capital

This area is great if you still want country charm with farmer's markets and still want to see cows and orchards. You can also drive down to NYC or take Amtrak from Hudson, takes just over 2 hours. We moved up here about 15 years ago so this is important to us, but a lot of people just prefer to keep it quiet and do things locally. This spot is just over half an hour to places like Stockbridge and Great Barrington MA. Red Hook and Rhinecliff are not too far and we've gone up to Saratoga several times, take about an hour. Chatham is the next town over and they have a summer stock theater and the County Fair is held there annually around Labor Day weekend. Boston is another weekend option at just about 2 1/2 hours east on the Pike. There's also great hiking and places to walk if you prefer.

For retirees there's good local healthcare and all the hospitals and such are easy to reach in Albany. There's something else I've started noticing now that we're hitting that age and that's the number of retirees in this town and area. When you go to the school for an event, sports, plays and concerts you'll see a lot of grandparents in the audience and yes, they live in the area. I was also working a staggered shift and used to go to work at 10AM. I got very familiar with saying hello to a lot of older people that were out walking, or biking or gardening at that time of day. We got to know the people who owned the house on the road behind us and they were well in to their 80's before he passed and she moved in with family.

There's even little things we notice, like how well the Town of Kinderhook does with getting the roads cleared after it snows - they do a great job. The library is convenient and is part of the Hudson Valley system so they'll get whatever book you want and notify you once it's in. Home prices vary but compared to the towns just outside of Albany or up in Saratoga they're very reasonable and taxes are much lower than those other towns. It's also a very safe, low crime area. Convenient grocery shopping and CVS pharmacy but nowhere near the development of other areas. Also, the stores in the Town of Kinderhook have to meet town codes that require them to fit the aesthetics of the area, i.e. no flat roof, divided pane windows, etc.

That's about it, I'm not a real estate broker, just love the area. We took 6 months to decide on this town when we moved up here and the same reasons we picked it to raise a family are the reasons we're staying here in retirement. Good Luck

Last edited by Q44; 04-02-2018 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-03-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post

Wife and I are about 3+ years from retirement and are staying in the Capital region. We've looked at Florida, Maine and North Carolina but between the kids and our lifestyle preferences have decided to stay in NY. We like the 4 seasons and where we're located we have lots of options for activities. We have a large house on a good size piece of property but we're not downsizing, we like this development.

So here are some details. I still work in Albany and live in Northern Columbia county. Think Martin Van Buren . . . It's actually just under 20 miles to work for me, it's a little longer mileage wise but faster if you opt to take I90. My average commute is 25 minutes. My wife works locally, 2 miles from home. The traffic southeast of Albany on this side of the river is significantly lighter than places west and north of the Capital

This area is great if you still want country charm with farmer's markets and still want to see cows and orchards. You can also drive down to NYC or take Amtrak from Hudson, takes just over 2 hours. We moved up here about 15 years ago so this is important to us, but a lot of people just prefer to keep it quiet and do things locally. This spot is just over half an hour to places like Stockbridge and Great Barrington MA. Red Hook and Rhinecliff are not too far and we've gone up to Saratoga several times, take about an hour. Chatham is the next town over and they have a summer stock theater and the County Fair is held there annually around Labor Day weekend. Boston is another weekend option at just about 2 1/2 hours east on the Pike. There's also great hiking and places to walk if you prefer.

For retirees there's good local healthcare and all the hospitals and such are easy to reach in Albany. There's something else I've started noticing now that we're hitting that age and that's the number of retirees in this town and area. When you go to the school for an event, sports, plays and concerts you'll see a lot of grandparents in the audience and yes, they live in the area. I was also working a staggered shift and used to go to work at 10AM. I got very familiar with saying hello to a lot of older people that were out walking, or biking or gardening at that time of day. We got to know the people who owned the house on the road behind us and they were well in to their 80's before he passed and she moved in with family.

There's even little things we notice, like how well the Town of Kinderhook does with getting the roads cleared after it snows - they do a great job. The library is convenient and is part of the Hudson Valley system so they'll get whatever book you want and notify you once it's in. Home prices vary but compared to the towns just outside of Albany or up in Saratoga they're very reasonable and taxes are much lower than those other towns. It's also a very safe, low crime area. Convenient grocery shopping and CVS pharmacy but nowhere near the development of other areas. Also, the stores in the Town of Kinderhook have to meet town codes that require them to fit the aesthetics of the area, i.e. no flat roof, divided pane windows, etc.

That's about it, I'm not a real estate broker, just love the area. We took 6 months to decide on this town when we moved up here and the same reasons we picked it to raise a family are the reasons we're staying here in retirement. Good Luck

Thanks.

I can feel your passion for the place. Never thought about "that side". Must check into it more.

We would like to stay semi-rural because we have a pet sheep and goat we need to take with us. (at 1 time we had 120 goats, 45 sheep, 30 rabbits, 15 horses, 4 alpacas, 2 llamas, etc. We couldn't go cold turkey when we started rehoming- not selling- them).

We've been to the Kinderhook area a few times: also Chatham, and the Rhinebeck Fair for the sheep and wool show. Also there's a nice farm stand on Rt 9 we've been too. Thanks for the idea.

If anyone else has any ideas, please pass them on.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Just some more info:

Anyone in the Chatham or Valatie area? Going online and they look nice- haven't been to those areas in years.

I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere, but not in a city either. We have a pet sheep and goat that will becoming with us, so we need at least an acre.

We buy only from farm stands/ farmer's markets, including grass fed meats, so a good farm stand/ farmer's market is a must (year round if possible), plus a good library (we use the library now at least twice weekly for movies and books.)

We want to stay under $250k for housing, the more under the better. And we need to be able to make a easy trip to Albany for both work and to visit the large health food store there.

I think every thing else will fall into place.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post

I have been through Columbia County a couple of times to pick up the Taconic heading back to Long Island from Albany. There was one little town which caught my eye -- Claverack. Retirement isn't too far off, and there is no way that we will be able to continue paying LI level taxes and electric. My only concern with moving elsewhere in NYS is that we will still be faced with high (relatively speaking) property taxes.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:08 AM
Q44

786 posts, read 681,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I have been through Columbia County a couple of times to pick up the Taconic heading back to Long Island from Albany. There was one little town which caught my eye -- Claverack. Retirement isn't too far off, and there is no way that we will be able to continue paying LI level taxes and electric. My only concern with moving elsewhere in NYS is that we will still be faced with high (relatively speaking) property taxes.

We're Long Island Transplants. I'm from NYC but my wife is a native LI'er. I moved out to her place years ago. I was offered a transfer to Albany back after 9/11 and decided to take it. Kids were still young and my wife and I both had parent(s) that retired in this area. I know that we doubled the square footage of our property from LI to Columbia County, house size increased from 1900sf to over 3200sf and our taxes went down by about 40%. I think in my original post I mentioned an older couple on the road behind us. They were transplants too. After he passed and she moved in with her daughter and family (also LI transplants) they sold the house. It was a about 1700sf on 3/4 acre and their taxes if I recall were just over $3k per year.

One of the other reasons we liked the area was because the Taconic gave us an alternative to the Thruway for going back to the City or LI. Amtrak in Hudson makes it easy for my car-less daughter in the City to come up for long weekends. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM

30 posts, read 19,229 times
LI Native here. 8 years to retirement. Loving all the tips and info.
Dreaming of living in Northern NY. Have a small place in Fulton County on Caroga Lake. Don't know that I would live there. Pretty rural and isolated. Gloversville is very run down.
I like the fact that I'm not alone in my desires. You guys are giving me hope!

Old 07-22-2018, 04:01 PM

52,609 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openg30 View Post
LI Native here. 8 years to retirement. Loving all the tips and info.
Dreaming of living in Northern NY. Have a small place in Fulton County on Caroga Lake. Don't know that I would live there. Pretty rural and isolated. Gloversville is very run down.
I like the fact that I'm not alone in my desires. You guys are giving me hope!
What kind of community are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or