Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:40 AM

385 posts, read 586,400 times

Advertisements

Hi. Is this the best place to post something about Amsterdam, NY?

My question is this. I believe there use to be a place called "Ernie's Charcoal Pit" on outer route 30, and I also believe the building is still there, with the sign or words on the building, does anyone know this to be the case? Is it still there, albeit closed for many years.

I'll be traveling with someone who mentioned he worked there when he was a kid, and I'm sure he'd love to see the place and take photo's (Yeah, he's a a photo nut).

We will be making numerous stops in the area as he was born there but hasn't been back in over 30 years.

He mentioned Bosco's, Botissti's pizza (I'm sure I butchered the spelling), the locks, Lanzi's (which I believe has moved out of town) and other areas he grow up in and around.

I'm thinking of staying at the Amsterdam Castle?

Last edited by slalemand; 02-23-2019 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: added text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 11:53 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,653,482 times
Never heard of Ernie's Charcoal Pit.

Bosco's and Botistti's are good. Everyone likes Russo's too.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 PM

yeah, it was a long time ago. on outer route 30.

What would you say is the difference between the 3, Bosco's, Botisttis and Russo's?

Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 PM

Yeah, turns out it was called "Herm's Charcoal Pit" and the last time I was in the area, the building still had the name on the side of it, but there was no business in the building.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Hi. Is this the best place to post something about Amsterdam, NY?

My question is this. I believe there use to be a place called "Herm's Charcoal Pit" on outer route 30, and I also believe the building is still there, with the sign or words on the building, does anyone know this to be the case? Is it still there, albeit closed for many years.

I'll be traveling with someone who mentioned he worked there when he was a kid, and I'm sure he'd love to see the place and take photo's (Yeah, he's a a photo nut).

We will be making numerous stops in the area as he was born there but hasn't been back in over 30 years.

He mentioned Bosco's, Botissti's pizza (I'm sure I butchered the spelling), the locks, Lanzi's (which I believe has moved out of town) and other areas he grow up in and around.

I'm thinking of staying at the Amsterdam Castle?

Yeah, turns out it was called Herm's Charcoal Pit

Old 04-03-2019, 02:56 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Some development news in regards to the city: https://dailygazette.com/article/201...iting-projects

https://dailygazette.com/article/201...-million-grant

Old 04-04-2019, 02:37 PM

looks like Amsterdam might just be turning around, good for you folks. After they spend all that money downtown, they need to spend just as much up the street, damn near every home in a 10 block square is in bad shape.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:02 PM

These are the projects receiving $10 million of state funding in Amsterdam

Here's how the money will be spent, with titles and descriptions provided by the state:

Create Community and Recreation Centers — $2,500,000

Rehabilitate 149 East Main St. for use as a community center and construct a new adjacent recreation center to activate this underutilized part of downtown and transform East Main Street into a destination in its own right. The complex will include a computer lab, art gallery, shared kitchen, and facilities for reading, music, tutoring, recreation, painting, photography, and cinema.

Renovate and Expand the Amsterdam Free Library — $1,800,000

Renovate and expand the Amsterdam Free Library to create a robust community center in the heart of the downtown district. The expanded library will include a new business incubator, STEM education facility, and multiuse community room complete with stage, screen, and sound and light equipment.

Create a Gateway to the Downtown District — $1,000,000

Create an attractive and defined gateway at the intersection of Church Street and East Main Street to provide a positive first impression of the city, render the intersection pedestrian-friendly, and attract visitors to patronize downtown businesses. The project will include public art, new lighting, landscape improvements, sidewalks and new signage.

Transform the KeyBank Building into a Mixed-Use Anchor — $1,000,000

Rehabilitate and convert the historic former KeyBank building into a mixed-use development, transforming the local landmark into a beacon of revitalization, ensuring around-the-clock street activity on East Main Street, and drawing visitors to the downtown district. The project will include ground-floor commercial use and upper-story residential units overlooking the city's downtown and waterfront.

Establish a Downtown Improvement Fund — $600,000

Establish a matching grant fund for interior and exterior building improvements within the DRI area to stimulate property upgrades and investments. The grant program will promote projects that include mixed uses and that will create jobs and advance community revitalization goals.

Transform a Portion of Highway into a Public Open Space — $547,087

Remove and repurpose the eastbound portion of NYS Route 5 as public open space, providing residents with recreation opportunities and laying the groundwork for the development of the proposed recreation center. DRI funding will be used for temporary barriers, signage, striping, and the removal of asphalt and paving.

Launch a Unified Marketing and Wayfinding Campaign — $500,000

Craft a compelling and site-specific narrative about Amsterdam that draws and directs visitors to downtown destinations. This project includes the development and installation of a vehicular and pedestrian wayfinding system, installation of public art reflective of community identity, and consistent and comprehensive marketing of downtown amenities through a unified branding strategy.

Install Streetscape Improvements on Bridge and Main Streets — $350,000

Transform the city's two primary commercial streets, Bridge Street and East Main Street, into the signature components of a walkable, vibrant downtown environment, drawing residents and tourists to local businesses around the clock. Streetscape improvements include decorative lighting, sidewalk upgrades, landscaping, and street furniture.

Create a Community Dog Park — $323,400

Construct a fenced-in community dog park at 198-100 Erie St. to serve as a mid-block connector from the waterfront to the Empire State Trail, furthering the Southside's transformation into a complete and connected neighborhood. As the first dog park in the city or county, this project is expected to be a local and regional recreation destination.

Transform the Southside into a Vibrant, Walkable Community — $312,785

Implement public realm improvements to encourage pedestrian activity along Bridge Street and connect the Mohawk Valley Gateway Overlook Pedestrian Bridge to Southside's emerging shopping and restaurant scene. The project includes the creation of a boardwalk, and improvements to the sidewalks, streetscape, and civic spaces adjacent to the Chalmers Mills Lofts.

Renovate the Samuel Sweet Canal Store — $275,000

Transform the historic Samuel Sweet Canal Store into a tavern and gift shop to draw tourists and out-of-town patrons to the area and further strengthen the growing food and beverage scene on the Southside. This project will include the conversion of the second floor into a tavern, addition of public sewer and water hookups, installation of a new roof, and construction of a parking lot.

Strengthen the Chuctanunda Creek Trail's Downtown Presence — $288,728

Install enhanced signage, lighting, and safety measures along the downtown stretch of the Chuctanunda Creek Trail to enable the district to serve as a tourist and recreation destination, and to facilitate access to broader trail systems and amenities.

Relocate and Enhance the Amsterdam Skate Park — $93,000

Relocate the Amsterdam Skate Park through the construction of an improved facility adjacent to the proposed community and recreation center at 143 East Main St. The new skate park will provide Amsterdam's young people with a safe and inviting place to socialize and will accommodate and complement the development of the new recreation center.

Construct a Waterfront Entertainment Destination — $60,000

Provide a new dock, boat lifts, and storage to a waterski show business relocating to the Amsterdam waterfront, where it will strengthen the area's tourist attraction in the summer and serve as a catalyst for future investment.

Establish Design Guidelines to Create a Cohesive Downtown — $50,000

Establish design guidelines to ensure new development and renovation projects preserve and enhance the downtown character, creating an aesthetically coordinated district and encouraging future investment. The guidelines will address façade improvements, signage regulations, lighting, landscaping, and beautification projects.

Can view more at this source here: https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n..._news_headline

Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 PM

Won't this be awesome when done … OR maybe they should spend some of this money, fixing up ALL the homes on the hill

Old 07-25-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Won't this be awesome when done … OR maybe they should spend some of this money, fixing up ALL the homes on the hill
Which hill? Even Amsterdam has neighborhoods that vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area