Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times

Advertisements

I am from NY...and love NY and miss it. I lived in downtown Troy...and in Albany on central ave. This was back in the 90"s. I had some great friends there...had some great times. I remember going to fenders nightclub to go dancing and had so much fun. My friend owned a few cigarette stores right in downtown Troy...and we used to hang out there a lot and shoot the breeze. So I was exposed to some hardcore rough folks and incidents there in downtown Troy back then. I loved the area but was also witnessing a rapid fire change especially in Troy. Troy was getting downright deadly and wild. Seems like the area was getting overcome with inner city violent thugs from downstate. The crack heads and hookers were everywhere back then. The inner city thugs were seemingly running Troy. All the rural, country girls who grew up in the area....seemingly were all were pregnant from the thugs. I never saw more drug dealers walking around pushing babies in walkers...anywhere else in my life. Me and my friends couldn't understand why these girls were so naïve and willing to have children with these thugs. It was a downright zany atmosphere back then. The shootings..stabbings...the dope dealers all over downtown at all hours. Is Troy still hell on earth to this day? I was sad to leave but simply didn't want to live around such madness and insanity any longer. But there great aspects of Troy and the capital district. I sometimes wonder if I should head back there and give it a go. So what is Troy like these days?

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-02-2019 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
You mean this newer version of Troy?: https://theurbanphoenix.com/2015/08/...h-in-totality/

I don't know if this is allowed, but this interesting thread can give you an idea of the changes and what improvements need to be made: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums...e-new-brooklyn

Old 07-03-2019, 01:07 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
Troy doesn't seem as bad as how you described it in your original post, but it definitely still has its problems.

The city has come a long way with its downtown revitalization, but any further south than that, I wouldn't want to live there. Lansingburgh is misery as well.

It's unfortunate, because it could be such a beautiful place. Just not a whole lot of money there like what Saratoga Springs has.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
^ I thought that Lansingburgh varies in terms of the further out, the better.

Info: https://statisticalatlas.com/neighbo...burgh/Overview

Can check other neighborhoods here, OP: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/N.../Troy/Overview

Troy, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Old 07-03-2019, 03:07 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^ I thought that Lansingburgh varies in terms of the further out, the better.
Yeah the areas that aren't set up like regular city blocks are, for the most part, fine. Just outdated and kind of ugly. But when you're anywhere on the grid of the area, which is the majority of it, it's not exactly a place I'd want to stay at long-term. Or even short-term lol.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:56 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
I can't imagine that even in the best economy in decades much has turned around for Troy or Schenectady. Imagine how much worse it will be when a recession hits.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 AM

146 posts, read 114,378 times
Police handled an armed robbery tonight in Troy. An hour later they were up in the Burgh after someone fired off 6+ rounds into somebody's 2nd floor apartment from the street. It's the same thing every night.

A buddy of mine was a cop there for a while. It's not a nice place.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,522 times
I'm curious to know where you moved to escape Troy? I remember also that when I was on a bowling league and had to drive to Uncle Sams lanes that you didn't want to really drive through Troy because there was just nothing there. Now I am renting closer to Troy to be closer to Troy because it has a ton of walkable stores and shops. The bars are pretty decent offering pub and social bars to a few to dance. There are still sketchy areas of course of the days past, but they are being pushed out further with river street being built up.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 11,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You mean this newer version of Troy?: https://theurbanphoenix.com/2015/08/...h-in-totality/

I don't know if this is allowed, but this interesting thread can give you an idea of the changes and what improvements need to be made: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums...e-new-brooklyn
Thank you for this Post!

I am moving to the area in January and was wondering about the area in general (where to live, schools, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area