Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,217 times

Advertisements

I know it sounds kind of vague but as someone who has lived here most of my life and traveling and seeing what I was missing out on I was curious to why people voluntarily left. Also where did you end up deciding to move to? I don't necessarily want statistics of this or that place growing but also what does this area need to do to keep people. I do a lot of research and honestly a lot of my friends and people i know moved away and when they come to visit it often affirms that they made the right decision and none of them went to florida lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 09:20 PM

91,995 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Ironically, it is an area that is adding people, not losing them. Saratoga County is or has been one of, if not THE fastest growing county outside of the NYC area and even ahead of some counties in that area. Other counties in the area have had some growth as well. So, it actually is attracting some people.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 5,217 times
Ok. However per my original question i just wanted to know why some people have left this area. :-)

Old 01-01-2021, 03:28 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,654,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango7185 View Post
I know it sounds kind of vague but as someone who has lived here most of my life and traveling and seeing what I was missing out on I was curious to why people voluntarily left. Also where did you end up deciding to move to? I don't necessarily want statistics of this or that place growing but also what does this area need to do to keep people. I do a lot of research and honestly a lot of my friends and people i know moved away and when they come to visit it often affirms that they made the right decision and none of them went to florida lol.
Mainly couldn't stand the weather and lack of jobs in my field of interest (tech) compared to other metros. Capital Region economy caters mostly to healthcare, higher education, and government.

Can get the same or better bang for your buck in many metros down south, where I went.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:05 AM

389 posts, read 389,583 times
I am from Westchester but I spent my early 20s there for college. They say it's good to go away and good to come home. After being a city kid my whole upbringing I needed a change of scenery. While attending college I found winters to be even colder, since it's further north from the equator. Meeting people from "the country" was fun at the time. I couldn't imagine how people could not get bored easily up there where some towns were so desolate and seemed strange to me. I got along with kids from Upstate but after transfering colleges a few times I found my way back down the Hudson river. I moved back because college was over and I was in a transitional phase in my life from 18-23 so it was the right move going north. I still take trips to various lake towns but since most of my family is from NYC I'm back home now.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:20 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,390,286 times
Closed minded people; not much to do in comparison to other places I had lived in; very boring in general, except for the SUNY party scene and that gets old as you get older; no real educational opportunities for STEM field except for RPI (which is in Troy and need I say more); for a northern climate skiing sucks, all ice; going to Boston or NYC many weekends to escape just emphasizes that you live in the wrong place; also ludicrously high taxes (and also high prices for sizes of towns of similar size.)

Worst was the weather. I came from a much warmer weather zone - had been flatly lied to in the interview and followups in regard to the weather (they said they sugarcoated it because "frankly, if we told you or anyone the truth, we would get no one") because they needed someone desperately.

My advice. Just leave. Just leave. You feel so much better. Of all the places I have ever lived in, I can say this is the only one I disliked - and that is with having great times in Boston and NYC.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:48 AM

44 posts, read 120,967 times
My reason doesn't apply to everyone, but anyone in my situation understands:

- Absolutely horrible gay community. Simply awful. Small, close-minded, creepy.

Albany being too close to NYC (and other big, desirable mega-cities like Boston and Providence to the East, DC and Philly to the South, and Montreal to the North), means the "A-list" gays move there, and don't stay in Albany.

Other reasons:

- No tech jobs (my field). Wages low for the ones that do exist.
- In fact, unless you're a State worker or Albany Medical Center employee, job security is pathetic.
- Winter isn't charming here like it is in NYC. It's just annoying here.
- 300 Dunkin' Donuts but we couldn't let a single Krispy Kreme survive.
- Food options? Hope you enjoy McDonald's and KFC.
- Our claim to fame is "the world's biggest Walmart." That's our culture.

We didn't even really notice the pandemic (just like we didn't really notice the 2008 Great Recession). We were already too sleepy of a metro.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:51 AM

91,995 posts, read 122,107,559 times
^What is going on with the scene on Lark Street in the Center Square neighborhood?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:43 PM

781 posts, read 737,914 times
There were no apropriate jobs for my spouse’s field in the 518.

Never liked the winter, have tried a few milder climates.

The Small-bany vibe can be really suffocating, kind of nice to be anonymous elsewhere.

Mostly I just miss my Albany friends and the local, hole in the wall foods. I don’t really have any close family there anymore either, just distant cousins and that kind of thing.

Have debated coming back, but I don’t think I can handle the winters. I highly doubt we move back.

I am LMAO over the Krispy Kreme comment, I wish that had lasted. Try moving to a part of the country with no Dunkin, that totally sucks.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:23 PM

19 posts, read 15,584 times
In my case, I am in the process of moving because my mother who is 91 years old is going blind and needs someone to take her places and help her with basic housework and other duties. I’m moving to a more rural area out in the country, where there won’t be as many stores or places to eat nearby. I will definitely miss that about Albany, but I won’t miss the overall closed-mindedness around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area