Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:19 PM

9,294 posts, read 16,576,057 times

Advertisements

Large influx from downstate and adjoining states to Saratoga Springs. Increase in building of condos there also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 08:50 AM

19,580 posts, read 20,395,815 times
I’ve been saying for years ad nauseum...
Saratoga is becoming the upstate version of the Hamptons.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:29 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I’ve been saying for years ad nauseum...
Saratoga is becoming the upstate version of the Hamptons.
Skaneateles SW of Syracuse is relatively like that as well, with multimillion properties on Skaneateles Lake.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Skaneateles SW of Syracuse is relatively like that as well, with multimillion properties on Skaneateles Lake.
Haven’t been over that way in years.
Can’t be as bad as Saratoga, at least as far as the quality of people.
The Saratoga area is being inundated with obnoxious uppity flatlanders.
Which is why many use the “North Hamptons” tag.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:10 AM

81 posts, read 66,128 times
Quote:
Haven’t been over that way in years.
Can’t be as bad as Saratoga, at least as far as the quality of people.
The Saratoga area is being inundated with obnoxious uppity flatlanders.
Which is why many use the “North Hamptons” tag.
Well we already have a Northampton on LI but it uses a Riverhead zipcode so that doesn't encourage people to buy there. I do agree however that Saratoga will become the new Hamptons, there is a lot of young people attracted to that area. And as for hotkarl, when did u know so much about the Albany area?

Old 01-22-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassaucounty28 View Post
Well we already have a Northampton on LI but it uses a Riverhead zipcode so that doesn't encourage people to buy there. I do agree however that Saratoga will become the new Hamptons, there is a lot of young people attracted to that area. And as for hotkarl, when did u know so much about the Albany area?
I’m worldly. Know a lot about a lot of places.
But not Skaneetles. I don’t know a lot about Skaneetles.
See...I can’t even spell it correctly.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:35 AM

954 posts, read 2,484,585 times
...I have family(long term) in Saratoga. The track, bars/restaurants, etc..make for an enjoyable visit during the summer months. That is...if it's June or July. August track season is good for their economy, but the amount of traffic and people can be overwhelming. That doesn't seem to bother those from downstate who come up there with $$$ looking for that trendy older home in the city area. A family member has owned a small/older/updated/ well maintained house..near the horse track and within the city. That house..if plucked out and placed in the village not far from me..Owego..(not our evil twin...Oswego...lol).."might" bring $125K or so if it were on the market here. This family member has gotten cold call visits from realtors ..pretty much guaranteeing $400K+ from interested parties for his place. With that said...there are 3 upstate areas that I believe fall into this trendy(almost as grimacing as the word, "vibe")/desirable/location for a vaca-2nd home..Saratoga..Cooperstown..and Skaneateles.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:20 PM

Cooperstown is *that* desirable? Didn’t know that. I know it’s a popular tourist spot but I always thought it was more of a transient pass thru/see the hall of fame and move on type of destination. It’s kinda out of the way for many flatlanders. They usually like to stay closer to the thruway.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:52 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Cooperstown is *that* desirable? Didn’t know that. I know it’s a popular tourist spot but I always thought it was more of a transient pass thru/see the hall of fame and move on type of destination. It’s kinda out of the way for many flatlanders. They usually like to stay closer to the thruway.
Yes it is. I thought you would be familiar with the village. There are quite a few places like it upstate like the previously mentioned Skaneateles(SW of Syracuse), Clinton(SW of Utica), Sackets Harbor(on Lake Ontario west of Watertown), Aurora(in between Ithaca and Auburn), etc. Some people have discovered some of these quaint types of communities and you can find some relatively affluent people living in those areas.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 PM

2,414 posts, read 1,481,264 times
There are a number of communities down the the 87 thoroughfare all the way to Albany from Saratoga. What is the OP looking for? Albany is only about 35 minutes down the highway. You’ve got Colonie, Latham, Schenectady, Clifton Park, Ballston Spa, Niskayuna, Troy. These are small cities or big towns and suburbia.

You can easily find a property within five miles of Saratoga Springs, the city. It’s generally more rural though. Try Malta, for example.

Saratoga Springs is a gorgeous place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area