U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 8,873 times

Advertisements

Guys/Gals,

I will be moving down to Albany in June and need advise on areas which are safe and close to hospitals, public transportation, shopping and schools. I will be moving with my wife and three kids.

I am also open to Rotterdam/Schentady/Niskuya areas

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,873 times
Anybody out there.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,738 times
Default advice

you should look in the south colonie area. If buying a house it is lower on taxes than the surrounding areas. If renting, there are several homes, townhouses, etc available in this area. Close to everything you need, and is one of the safest areas. School system is one of the best in south colonie.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 AM

257 posts, read 899,762 times
Albany med? Do you like urban neighborhoods or more suburban? Anywhere IN the actual city of Albany is pretty close to a busline.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM

266 posts, read 582,014 times
Guilderland, North Colonie, Niskayuna all have good reputations as far as schools go. I am more familiar w/Nisky/Sch'dy area; grew up in Nisky, currently live in Sch'dy. If you have a job in a certain area that might help narrow it down. The hospitals here in Sch'dy are all being restructured at the moment. St. Clares, Ellis, Bellevue. There are buses, plenty of shopping, here in this area. I enjoy living in Sch'dy, regardless of the bad rap it gets. If you have specific questions about this area, feel free to ask.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:00 PM

96 posts, read 280,337 times
Default Greenbush schools???

How do Greenbush schools compare with Bethlehem for an academic high school student? I really like the housing values better in GB but have heard such great things about Beth. Any insights appreciated!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:52 AM

106 posts, read 265,294 times
Notice how all these ppl said places other then Albany!? Stay out of Albany! Rents are ridiculously high, streets are in horrilbe condition. And the best part .. the city government is so concerned with the night life of downtown Albany that the rest of the city suffers. Yes .. even the good sections that are sliding down hill in a hurry!

Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,661,864 times
I really disagree MrBiggz... Yes, it's true that the non-downtown parts of the city mostly have old, retired, foreign couples living in them, but that's an attitude problem more than anything. People want to send their kids to suburban schools. Nevermind that Guilderland and Bethlehem are so boring that both high schools have huge drug problems, their schools are excellent so people move there and bore their kids to death.

Albany High has its problems, but is pretty terrific academically compared to most city high schools. If people could get past this mental block, the non-downtown parts of Albany would not be bleeding population. The Buckingham Lake neighborhood is breathtaking and classic Americana, as is the neighborhood around Albany Acadaemy. I would live there 10000x before I'd live in some subdivision in boring Bethlehem (oh wait, I do live in a boring subdivision in Bethlehem... when does the fall semester start so I can leave?)

Old 05-19-2008, 06:35 AM

106 posts, read 265,294 times
juppiter,

I never said anything about the schools. Don't have kids and other than the obvious there's alot to be said about the schools and parents but that's another discussion for another board.

Simply put, Albany, rent is out of control, over sub-divided, out of town landlords, poor street, apathetic city government.

If I had my pick Colonie,S. Colonie, Latham, Clifton Park, E. Greenbush.

Finish your semiester .. graduate and be smart and get out of New York. I'm working on that plan right now!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,661,864 times
MrBiggz, I would prefer to stay in upstate New York after college, but with the poor job market here and high taxes, it probably will not be possible. I am going into the public administration field, so really Albany would be great for me, but I've just overdosed on it here.... much as I think this region is extremely underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area