U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 07:55 PM

17 posts, read 13,018 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering relocating to the Albany-Adirondacks areas from the Hudson Valley as a lifelong native who needs a change.
I have a lot of reasons why and am aware things are tough everywhere depending on what you are looking for.
I'm doing my own research on various websites besides posting here so this is not a lazy post.

I will be researching taxes, rents, etc on my own and I don't have a family so my list for a new place is maybe shorter than others and I don't expect to fulfill all my criteria anyway as I can drive to some of the places that aren't all near each other. I will watch this post and share some info as well.

Minimum goals
- Good public library, a location with individual rooms for quiet work even better
- A USPS office with Poboxes
- At least one grocery store in the area
- Climate controlled self-storage facility
- A Park & Ride lot for travel by transit out of the area
- Access to mountains and lakes for hiking
- A gym with showers
In short: a small town/village with basic services and access to nature

I have a wide area I'm looking at if Albany-Troy-Schenectady is center-right than I'm looking at everything in the Western and Northern half circles around Albany including these cities as the "edges":

Albany urban area loose radius
Castleton-on-Hudson and further west
Duanesburg to Amsterdam
Middleburgh to Gloversville

North of Albany/Adirondacks area loose radius
Saratoga Springs to Warrensburg and further west
Ticonderoga to Plattsburgh and further west

This eliminates the big cities and most of the suburbs around them as I'm more interested in the outskirts, small towns/villages, the countryside and wilderness - primarily north of Albany as the Northern Catskills area doesn't have that many lakes that are accessible via trails at least to my knowledge.

A place that is not fancy/upscale/elitist/wealthy but not rundown/trashy/ruined - something "basic" in between those two extremes that is somewhat cared for and has decent basic services such as the library, gym, grocery and postal service would be ideal. Does such a place event exist?

I've read Saratoga Springs is a wealthy area so that's out of my range and interest.
Someone told me Glens Falls was a decent place but it will take more research and eventual travel trips to determine what will work for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 08:21 PM

80,864 posts, read 108,869,139 times
So you are basically considering the entire Capital Region and the Adirondacks as a whole. Is that correct?

It sounds like you've already answered your own question, as Glens Falls would make a lot of sense, given everything written in the original post. It is a small metro area with suburbs. So, you have other communities in that area like Queensbury, Fort Edward, Hudson Falls and South Glens Falls. Queensbury is more standard suburbia, while the others are villages.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with more specific information.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So you are basically considering the entire Capital Region and the Adirondacks as a whole. Is that correct?

It sounds like you've already answered your own question, as Glens Falls would make a lot of sense, given everything written in the original post. It is a small metro area with suburbs. So, you have other communities in that area like Queensbury, Fort Edward, Hudson Falls and South Glens Falls. Queensbury is more standard suburbia, while the others are villages.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with more specific information.

Yes both areas are of interest to me with a priority of being nearer to mountains for hiking but I can drive around if needed.
I am looking at data, maps of neighborhoods such as this one:

[url=https://i.ytimg.com/vi/juf7Zlno06A/maxresdefault.jpg[/url]

(Can't seem to get the above link to post properly)

Old 04-06-2022, 06:38 AM

837 posts, read 270,578 times
Desirable zip codes/housing are very competitive right now.
It’s becoming standard for homes to be in contract within a week with multiple above LP offers.
Same with rentals. Good luck finding a decent one. The urban migration movement is making it very difficult for locals to find housing, especially young folk. It’s just very, very competitive now.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbhmnblues View Post

Yes both areas are of interest to me with a priority of being nearer to mountains for hiking but I can drive around if needed.
I am looking at data, maps of neighborhoods such as this one:

[url=https://i.ytimg.com/vi/juf7Zlno06A/maxresdefault.jpg[/url]

(Can't seem to get the above link to post properly)
To be honest, you probably should be looking in the Western Adirondacks and into say the Watertown area/parts of the Utica-Rome area/Lewis County, etc. Lewis County in particular has relatively low property taxes and while Lowville is a bigger village, you could also look at places like Copenhagen or closer to Carthage.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Desirable zip codes/housing are very competitive right now.
It’s becoming standard for homes to be in contract within a week with multiple above LP offers.
Same with rentals. Good luck finding a decent one. The urban migration movement is making it very difficult for locals to find housing, especially young folk. It’s just very, very competitive now.
Yup I'm aware of this and the suffering going on for the homeless/working/poor/lower and middle class, it's much worse then the 2008 recession and it's worldwide. In the NYC metro area this seems to happen regularly - the 9/11, 2008, and 2020 exoduses are just the most recent examples.

We'll see how much longer this new housing bubble continues but it's probable these migrations will keep happening into the future on a regular basis. Everyday life may still look normal outside in most places but many people have lost homes and jobs again and have had to move in with friends, family, left the country or became homeless and are barely surviving.

Quote:
To be honest, you probably should be looking in the Western Adirondacks and into say the Watertown area/parts of the Utica-Rome area/Lewis County, etc. Lewis County in particular has relatively low property taxes and while Lowville is a bigger village, you could also look at places like Copenhagen or closer to Carthage.
Thanks I will take a look.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:15 AM

A big problem is the city/urban folk not only driving up housing costs but simultaneously pricing out the low-middle income natives, young singles as well as families. The work from home trend has made it very easy to “escape the city”. Also, the housing costs in upstate are a fraction of urban/suburban costs, especially compared to some of the more desirable destination areas(ex:Hamptons)making it very appealing for those who want a second/vacation home but cannot necessarily afford the Hamptons and similar destination zip codes. Air BnB and using homes for summer/weekend rentals is really putting a damper on housing stock sales and rentals. It’s a mess if you are a local trying to find any suitable housing. But this trend is happening nationwide.

Old 04-09-2022, 01:34 PM

Hmmm…

https://nypost.com/2022/04/08/most-m...A69PQ-Munt4ZUU

Wonder if this will have an effect on anything…

Old 04-09-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Hmmm…

https://nypost.com/2022/04/08/most-m...A69PQ-Munt4ZUU

Wonder if this will have an effect on anything…
I don’t know if it will have as much impact in the area of the thread topic, but perhaps in other parts of the state.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I don’t know if it will have as much impact in the area of the thread topic, but perhaps in other parts of the state.
Urban/suburban flight is happening everywhere.
Including not only NYC, but around all the major NY metro areas.
As the influx mega inflated downstate housing costs, folks have been migrating further north to the “cheaper” land, thus driving properties and rentals up in those areas as well. Prices are going through the roof in Putnam, Orange, Ulster, etc…and the same thing has been trending in Delaware, Schoharie, Montgomery, Fulton counties etc…folks hitting some serious sticker shock and ultra competitive housing market. It’s becoming really difficult to buy a home or get a rental. Especially for locals who are competing with wealthier cash buyers from out of the area.

So, not sure if the “come back to the office or else” will have an effect, I guess of course that depends on how much of a thing it becomes. Many of the folks that “escaped” the city/burbs for the safety and peacefulness of the country may be forced to sell and move back if they don’t want to lose their jobs.
Moving forward, if covid cases remain low and work from home is no longer an option for many we’ll have to wait and see what kind of effect that may have.

With the current situation the OP may have a difficult time finding suitable housing. It’s timing and a crapshoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area