U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 AM

18 posts, read 115,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYERNURSE View Post
You don't like "Cracknectady?" It used to be a bustling, beautiful town. The near death of GE and poverty has taken it's toll. Union College is a great school though.
Yes I heard. It has quite an interesting history. Too bad it turned out the way it did. They say it's on the way to a 'revival' but we'll see how effective they are at cleaning it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM

336 posts, read 598,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyhollow View Post
In my opinion, Schenectady is probably the worst place to raise a family.
Worst? In the world? In New York State? I don't even think it is the worst in the capital district. Troy, Albany, and Sch'dy each have their own bad neighborhoods as well as nice neighborhoods -- as any city does.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:32 PM

18 posts, read 115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
Worst? In the world? In New York State? I don't even think it is the worst in the capital district. Troy, Albany, and Sch'dy each have their own bad neighborhoods as well as nice neighborhoods -- as any city does.
Worst meaning just generally not a good place to raise a family. I've heard many many horror stories.

When I was a kid, I lived on a closed block and everyone roamed the streets like cats and did as they pleased. Everything was safe and wonderful and our parents didn't have to watch us at all times.

In Schenectady children don't/shouldn't have that freedom IMO. I heard about two girls riding their bikes past Vale Cemetery and some guy grabbed one and tried to drag her in.

Now obviously, we all know not to go near that cemetery anyways, but even in the better neighborhoods, there are still shady characters around and if I had children I'd never let them be outside alone there.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM

336 posts, read 598,160 times
I grew up in Schenectady when it was worse than it is now, and believe me I rode my bike all over town with my friends unsupervised and nobody I knew ever had a problem! Vale Cemetery has always had a bad rep, but again it is commonsense. I think I've heard more "horror stories" in the idyllic, fabulous place to raise a family, Boulder, CO (where I am now) than in Schenectady. I just think it is a lot less scary than you are making it out to be.

Not the BEST place to raise a family of course! (Depends on what you want.) But I don't think it deserves such a bad rap.

I admit - if I moved back, I'd move to Saratoga or Ballston Spa. But I love Colorado too much.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
Schenectady, albany ,and Troy rock. Those who disagree are most likely from small towns anyway. Fact is is that these three cities were here before the revolutionary war and yes they are showing age.....but these cities have stood this long and will for a very long time Keep to yourself and dont be a ******* and you will live.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:13 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,661,864 times
Quote:
Worst meaning just generally not a good place to raise a family. I've heard many many horror stories.

When I was a kid, I lived on a closed block and everyone roamed the streets like cats and did as they pleased. Everything was safe and wonderful and our parents didn't have to watch us at all times.

In Schenectady children don't/shouldn't have that freedom IMO. I heard about two girls riding their bikes past Vale Cemetery and some guy grabbed one and tried to drag her in.

Now obviously, we all know not to go near that cemetery anyways, but even in the better neighborhoods, there are still shady characters around and if I had children I'd never let them be outside alone there.
*eyeroll* I come from the burbs. As a matter of fact, I grew up less than 5 minutes from Slingerlands Elementary school. We used to walk to school and have a damn good time doing so. Nowadays when I visit my 'rents I see yuppie parents walking their kids to school. What the heck is gonna happen in the less than 5 minutes it takes to get there?!?! The world hasn't changed, IMO, people just have a stick up their ass.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
Default Response to "LOL SCHENECTADY"

I thought that whole message was completely WRONG.
I've lived here my whole entire life and nothing has EVER been stolen from me, i havent seen one crackhead on my street, ( I live off of Union St. also ) My car is in perfect condition never has been touched once, and EVERYONE speeds at one point in your life, get over it.

Yes, there are bad sections of schenectady just like there is in EVERY CITY. If i moved into your " wealthy area " i could write a whole list on how you all were stuck up, and thought you were better than everyone else because we all cant have money and grow up in a perfect little society.

As long as you hang out with the right people, dont get yourself in trouble you will be FINE. Nothing is wrong with schenectady at all. The people in my neighborhood are great!

Everyone here is friendly. I also own a business on union street and everyone who comes in is very nice. and NO WE HAVE NOT BEEN ROBBED. Dont talk about a place you just moved to badly when you really dont know the half of it please. Thank you

Old 04-10-2009, 03:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,602,080 times
Like any city, Schenectady has its good points and bad points, and I think recently a lot of Schenectady's bad points have been coming to light. Yeah, there are parts of the city that are a little dangerous (like the Vale Cemetery area) and parts that are practically sh*t holes, but there are also a lot of really nice, safe parts too. And if you hate the actual city so much, then why not move someplace else in the surrounding area that might be up to your standards (Nisky, Scotia, Burnt Hills, ect.).

Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 PM

266 posts, read 581,764 times
I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but Schenectady is not all bad at all. I've lived here for several years, have been raising my young children, have sent them to pubic schools and have enjoyed myself in this city! Granted I live in a nice neighborhood, and I know bad things can and do happen all over the place. But really, pompeyhollow you seem a little exteme, doom and gloom if you ask me. The city has its problems, I'm well aware, but I think there are great things about this city. More residents need to focus on the good things. Progress slows because of folks simply complaining about the bad things w/o doing something to make things better. What do you do to make your neighborhood better? Every little bit helps! I've planted trees w/ ReTree Sch'dy, I pick up trash on my block and on the playgrounds that we frequent, I keep an eye on the kids in the neighborhood. I've broken up fights or what looked like bullying. When there are problems I call the police, and they've always come quickly. I know my neighbors, they know my family. Stop complaining and get involved in the place that you live in! Make it a better place!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,062 times
Default TY Princess lol

Welcome to the non white world lol

Quote:
So Schenectady. My, my, my. As someone who grew up in a wealthy part of Northern Virginia, this place scares me to death.

My boyfriend just moved here (off of Union St.) in the beginning of August and I'd love to share some of the high and low points I've experienced for perspective residents who come from safe, upscale, family-oriented places.

Bad:
-Crackheads. Everywhere. Walking/stumbling/biking down all streets, no matter how upscale they are. If they aren't on crack, then they aren't mentally stable in some way. Because of this, children should not play outside of your front yard unsupervised depending upon the neighborhood.

-Thieves. Don't leave ANYTHING visible in your parked cars ever. Hide anything remotely valuable in the glove compartment and lock it. Also never leave anything quite valuable in there at all.

-Crime. Mostly drug related/robbery/assaults. Stick to common sense and you should be fine. Don't go starting bar fights or you could be stabbed. Don't be in the wrong neighborhood ever unless in a locked car and driving.

-Traffic. Lots. And crazy speeders. Don't cross the street without looking both ways slowly.

-Drugs. The slums are everywhere, but sometimes disguised by decent looking neighborhoods. Be careful what street you go down on foot, especially at night.

-Don't go out past midnight unless you're in a highly populated-by-college-kids-and-other-people downtown area.

-If you don't like having a city-feel (huge lack of greenery and nature), don't move here.

-The streets are literally retarded. They are marked with potholes and weird lines. One minute you're in the right line and the next it turns quickly into a turning lane with little warning and people are honking at you.

-I hear the cops were/are corrupt. I'm not sure this problem has been fixed.

Good:
-Amazing food here at great prices. Pinhead Susan's for instance, is a bar/restaurant that has the best buffalo chicken I've ever tasted.

-Cultural. Schenectady has lots of festivals (Greek, Italian, Irish), but they aren't the best IMO.

-Niskyuna is right around the corner, and that has a Target, Borders, Paneras, Marshalls, Five Guys, Etc. aka modern civilization.

-Stockade District is nice too look at, and perhaps worth living in if you have the money. Beware of flooding, though.

-Although this area is ridden with poverty, every other car is a BMW or Mercedes. I've left my BMW parked here and it hasn't been damaged. (depends on the street you leave it on, though)

-Every bar here sells Guinness. 'Nough said.

That's about it.

In my opinion, Schenectady is probably the worst place to raise a family.

I work in the wedding industry for the capitol region and so I've also seen many other towns/cities near Albany. I've also lived in/around Rochester, Syracuse and Buffalo. Based on that, I feel confident saying that Albany has the worst suburbs out of those and Syracuse has the best. Ask me why if you're interested in my reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area