U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-18-2008, 05:04 PM
 
4,128 posts, read 7,823,159 times
Reputation: 4516

Advertisements

Does anyone know why there isn't a Costco in upstate? There are BJ's (not impressed) and Sam's (okay) but since we moved up here I am having Costco withdrawal. Costco quality is superior to anything we've found in the area. We drive to NJ every 3 months and stock up.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2008, 03:56 AM
 
135 posts, read 349,266 times
Reputation: 101
I agree. My hubby thinks bj's is just as good but I really really miss costco. And Trader Joe's. I don't have the time to make a trip to NJ just for costco but I wish I could!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2008, 07:27 AM
 
4,128 posts, read 7,823,159 times
Reputation: 4516
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post
I agree. My hubby thinks bj's is just as good but I really really miss costco. And Trader Joe's. I don't have the time to make a trip to NJ just for costco but I wish I could!
We have to go to NJ for medical and husband does some consulting in NJ, so we always stock up. The fresh produce and meat/poultry of BJs can't compare to Costco, plus the prices are higher at BJs. There was an article on the news about a guy in Albany that has started a drive to get a Trader Joe's in the area. Maybe we should do the same for Costco. They would do extremely well up here, with upstaters and Vermonters.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 01:50 AM
 
4 posts, read 13,267 times
Reputation: 11
I have similar concern; we are so used of quality stuff from Costco.

Albany people should write to Costco
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 PM
 
266 posts, read 582,014 times
Reputation: 226
I wasn't impressed w/BJ's either. I didn't renew my membership when I realized even the generic prices on diapers was cheaper at Walmart. They never had the items I wanted for name brand stuff, the meat prices were outrageous compared to my local meat market. I'm curious about Costco now!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 AM
 
4,128 posts, read 7,823,159 times
Reputation: 4516
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
I wasn't impressed w/BJ's either. I didn't renew my membership when I realized even the generic prices on diapers was cheaper at Walmart. They never had the items I wanted for name brand stuff, the meat prices were outrageous compared to my local meat market. I'm curious about Costco now!
We have been going to the Costco in E. Springfield, MA and there is another one about ten miles south in CT.

Their meat is superior to anything I have been able to find in the area. Worth the trip to stock up for a couple of months.

Costco opens stores all over the globe, but seems to ignore upstate NY area. I wrote an email but just received a blanket reply.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Status: "Chance of snow this weekend..." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
3,552 posts, read 3,777,624 times
Reputation: 2196
Costco wins hands down in my area and we have BJ's & Sams. There is one in Nanuet NY down the Thruway. It appears that they haven't entered the NY market beyond the NYC area. Maybe the labor costs are an issue? Would the workers be unionized?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
 
4,128 posts, read 7,823,159 times
Reputation: 4516
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Costco wins hands down in my area and we have BJ's & Sams. There is one in Nanuet NY down the Thruway. It appears that they haven't entered the NY market beyond the NYC area. Maybe the labor costs are an issue? Would the workers be unionized?
I don't honestly understand why they haven't opened one at least in Albany, which is an hour south of us. My daughter lives in southern VT and they have NOTHING so like many VTers they drive over to Saratoga to shop once a month. There is a BJ's in Saratoga (15 minute drive)and a Sam's Club in Latham, which is a 45 minute drive.

Labor cost up here are low and I don't believe unions are an issue. If they opened one between here and VT they would do very well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Status: "Chance of snow this weekend..." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
3,552 posts, read 3,777,624 times
Reputation: 2196
I know there is one outside Burlington VT but thats not practical to drive to perhaps in time. They have a heavy presence in the south and have appeared to move north only in the last couple of years. I'm waiting on Ikea, I can't stand going to DC to shop there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
 
4,128 posts, read 7,823,159 times
Reputation: 4516
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I know there is one outside Burlington VT but thats not practical to drive to perhaps in time. They have a heavy presence in the south and have appeared to move north only in the last couple of years. I'm waiting on Ikea, I can't stand going to DC to shop there.
Burlington Costco is 3 hour drive and the Costco in MA is 2 hours. We were out in Idaho this spring and there were several Costco stores within 10-15 miles. I don't get it. Not all the areas were highly populated. No Ikea up here!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top