Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 PM

688 posts, read 1,246,807 times

Advertisements

So, anyone from Iowa or Nebraska? I saw someone started a thread like this for SoCal, Nice idea! Hope you don't mind if I borrow the idea for Iowa / Nebraska.
Guess I'm a bit homesick for the open horizon ....and highways without toll-booths that "chaa ching" my bank account without mercy and whose curliques are endless and utterly confusing... can someone please explain to me why the people allowed THAT to happen??? ....
I miss driving my fast little car FAST on long stretches of highways (sans speeding tickets)...
and talking on my cell phone (again, sans fines), eating, drinking, and shifting at the same time... well, OK, maybe that was never such a great idea.

I loved the Albany summer, tho, very moderate temps and an easy day trip to the ocean, as opposed to a 2 day drive from Omaha to get to an ocean beach. And you can't beat the proximity to NYC for all the world has to offer. The mountains are pretty amazing, too, and all the pretty, rocky brooks...beautiful area.

Now, if I can just make it through the long winter (I think I can, I know I can,I think I can, I know I can, I think I can, I know I can).

How about it Ioweegens and Nebraskans? Words of Wisdom to share?

Thank for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 08:38 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times
I'm not sure I have much wisdom to share but I can tell you about my experience.

I was born in Kansas and grew up in Nebraska. I spent 10 years in Fort Collins, Colorado before moving here 18 months ago. My wife grew up in the Adirondacks and we decided to move here to be closer to her family. I fell in love with the rolling mountains and the quaint and picturesque farmlands of NY.

That being said, I'm not too thrilled with the Capital area. It might be a great spot in 5-10 years but the urban areas are still a little dumpy....lot's of vacancies, neglected structures, small ghettos, and drug problems (seems like I see it all of the time out here but that's my personal experience). Anyway compared to Omaha or Denver, the Albany metro still needs a lot of work. Saratoga Springs is an exception though, which is why we chose to live closer to the north end of the area.

Like you, I sometimes miss the open sky and broad horizons. My first full years was difficult and the trees made me claustrophobic. Now it doesn't bother me and I really enjoy the woods and curvey drives. I don't miss the straight roads from the midwest though, they are rather dull to drive compared to the scenic roads out here.

I was also amazed how people let the taxes and tolls get out of hand. I reckon you get some extra services but I suspect a lot of it is wasted and some of it slips into corrupt hands.

The winters here aren't bad at all, compared to Iowa and Nebraska. The winter season might be a couple of weeks longer but that's it. Here you don't have the problems of drifting snow and the plows roam the roads like worker bees.

The culture is a little different out here as well. Some folks are a little too honest and are extremely willing to give out advice, even if you don't want it.

Last edited by Rumblebelly; 11-16-2008 at 08:55 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Thanks so much! Any other Midwest transplants?

Rumplebelly, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I read your reply to my post and appreciate your comments.
I so much agree- I love the scenery and the outdoor recreational opportunities, but the urbane areas are definitely dumpy! I was back in Omaha for a visit recently and was amazed at how clean and vibrant it seems after living here for a few months...and yes, why oh why have the people allowed the taxes to get so out of control and what is it with the highway tolls????

Glad to hear that the winters aren't much worse. Must have just seemed that way last winter just 'cause of the move.

I'd like to live further north in the area, Saratoga is quite nice, but the daily traffic in and out of Albany would make me even crazier (if that is possible!).

Anyway- thanks for the post and I'd love to hear from other midwest transplants!!!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
well, I grew up in Colorado but have lived in the Capital Region for 25 years +
But I'm still a Colorado girl at heart. Does that count?

Yes, the TAXES!!!!!!! I am seriously considering & researching a move where taxes won't break me. That's how I found the C-D site. I think that's the one thing all NY state residents can agree on; & it seems no matter who gets my vote, there is never an improvement on taxes. AAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
well, I grew up in Colorado but have lived in the Capital Region for 25 years +
But I'm still a Colorado girl at heart. Does that count?

Yes, the TAXES!!!!!!! I am seriously considering & researching a move where taxes won't break me. That's how I found the C-D site. I think that's the one thing all NY state residents can agree on; & it seems no matter who gets my vote, there is never an improvement on taxes. AAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!!
Hi! Yeah, thanks for the reply! I can't believe this place. tolls and taxes.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Again, looking back thru some old posts...wondering if I can find anyone else with roots in the midwest? I've been here a year and altho I've come to appreciate this area for a variety of reasons, I still miss the west.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 PM

It'll get easier as time goes on. I've been here almost two years now and I'm growing quite fond of it. When I visit Nebraska, it seems really bland compared to NY. Still miss Colorado now and then.

What brought you here? Jobs? Have you found places to hang out?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 AM

Red face Lacking Connections and thanks for asking!

The move was job related. Good professionally, but not so great personally.

No, have not found a place to hang out. Other than regional forays, I Just kinda stay home alot, which is hard, 'cause I really enjoy being with friends and I miss a good night out on the town, ya know, just laughing and being goofy. I go back to Omaha fairly frequently to visit my elderly parents and my amazing daughters; when I'm there I get together with old friends and that is when it really hits me how socially isolated I am here.

Not having kids in school makes it tough to meet people, I think. So many local activities are family and/or school oriented. This move has certainly made me realize how many of my "old" friendships were made thru family-raising connections (kids schools, clubs, etc.) and have continued on even tho most of our kids are beginning college or whatever- just kinda happens naturally- never have had to "work" at making friends....

I travel the region for fun...I enjoy going to "the city"; recently saw the Allman Brothers at The Beacon; I joined MOMA and enjoyed the Van Gough exhibit muchly, etc.

I have enjoyed visiting Block Island and Cape Cod and Portland and Camden. Also Lake Placid and Elk Lake (!)

But I am lonely and feel a strong need for social connections and friendships. I can't socialize with people at work. I keep telling myself to, you know, Join a Club, or something. I know what to do, but I just ain't doin it. Hmmm.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:01 PM

I strongly suggest you join a Meet-up group. Feeling like you belong to a place takes at least a couple of years. To me, Upstate has a very similar vibe to eastern Nebraska. Yeah, some people talk a little different but they are pretty much the same as anywhere else.

I moved here from Fort Collins which is a totally different dynamic. Most of the people living in that area are from somewhere else and actively looking for friends. But here, most people grew up in this area and already have a group of friends to hand out with. That was a hard adjustment for us but when we joined a Meet-up, we found tons of people from other places looking for friends. Some folks are new here, just went through a divorce, or just looking for people that have something in common with. We are members of beer advocates (which has a local meet up group), where just yesterday, we went on a bus tour of two breweries outside of Cooperstown. It was a blast and everyone was really nice.

I understand the feeling of not wanting to hang out with co-workers. I wouldn't let half of my co-workers in my home and I'm actively looking for another job. I've never had a problem like this before but I think it's a very bizarre situation I'm in. We might actually leave this area because of my work situation, and move closer to my wife's family further north in Upstate. However now that I've lived here for a couple of years, there's a part of me that's hesitant to leave. I've met some wonderful people in my community and enjoy my neighbors. There's a lot to do around here and lot's of places to hang out at night. Saratoga Springs has tons of good music and neat bars. So does Albany of course! Honestly, I think Albany has much more of a variety of things to offer. At least it has a music scene.

I hope you can find more connections here. It just takes some time and a little work.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Rumble, what the heck is a meet up group and how do I find it?

Fort Collins is such an awesome place! Been there and I believe it was rated as the #1 place to live in the USA by some survey done by US News or Time? So it must have been a difficult adjustment for you.

I am sorry to hear about your work situation...IMO it is endemic to the area, so I hope it all works out for you. Moving is tuff so hopefully that won't happen for you soon, but if so, where Upstate is your wife's family? And is there a chance of a better job situation for you?

I really appreciate your help here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area