Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 7,697 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer in Albany and am thinking of commuting from Saratoga Springs. I would typically start at 2 am so traffic should not be an issue but wasn't sure about winter storms. Is anybody doing this commute or is this crazy?
The opinions of Albany on the forums are kind of frightening. I would consider closer towns mentioned (Niskayuna, Colonie), but at this point not sure. Thanks for any opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Not quite SS, but years ago I did that commute from the north end of Malta. like you I went at odd hours, in my case heading south at 2:00 pm and home around 2:00 am, so minimal traffic.

As far as weather, I'd rather have bad weather and no traffic than bad weather and cars around me acting like pinballs. The main roads are kept clear even when the weather is bad, and you already know that they get to the side roads when they can--regardless of the time of day.

I sometimes took Route 9 instead of the Northway during the Nor'easters so I could stop at a conveneince store or coffee shop if it got really bad and wait it out for an hour or so. Route 9 actually seems to be kept clearer than the Northway for some reason, especially between Latham and exit 9.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:54 AM

585 posts, read 2,222,789 times
If you travel at those hours, your drive will be a piece of cake. They do a really good job keeping the roads clear during the winter, even at night.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
If you travel at those hours, your drive will be a piece of cake. They do a really good job keeping the roads clear during the winter, even at night.
I agree with Rumblebelly. The crews do a great job with the roads up here.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:30 PM

9 posts, read 39,666 times
My husband commutes every day to Niskayuna,( near Albany) and has for 3 years. He usually only has about 4 days in the winter when the weather is really bad. He drives a Honda Civic. I would recommend living within a mile or 2 of 87, don't pick a place that is on a back rd, or hilly as getting to 87 could be the hardest part of the trip as the roads may not be plowed well at those hours. Normal 35 minute trip, plan on 50 minute in winter with new snow. We love living in Saratoga! great town.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 28,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslieshomes View Post
My husband commutes every day to Niskayuna,( near Albany) and has for 3 years. He usually only has about 4 days in the winter when the weather is really bad. He drives a Honda Civic. I would recommend living within a mile or 2 of 87, don't pick a place that is on a back rd, or hilly as getting to 87 could be the hardest part of the trip as the roads may not be plowed well at those hours. Normal 35 minute trip, plan on 50 minute in winter with new snow. We love living in Saratoga! great town.
I realize this is an extremely old thread, but am hoping you will still get this message. My husband is considering employment in Niskayuna and we are also looking to live in Saratoga Springs. Does your husband still commute this distance? How long does it take? What is the traffic like? We are coming from the San Fransisco area, so anything better than that kind of traffic is an improvement!

Do you have children in the Saratoga Springs schools?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezylane View Post
I realize this is an extremely old thread, but am hoping you will still get this message. My husband is considering employment in Niskayuna and we are also looking to live in Saratoga Springs. Does your husband still commute this distance? How long does it take? What is the traffic like? We are coming from the San Fransisco area, so anything better than that kind of traffic is an improvement!

Do you have children in the Saratoga Springs schools?
What about Niskayuna itself? It is arguably the best school district in the metro area and has more dense and somewhat walkable areas near Schenectady. It has a good sized Asian student population, with a few Black students and a couple of Hispanic students. Test Scores for Niskayuna Central School District | GreatSchools

Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 28,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Niskayuna itself? It is arguably the best school district in the metro area and has more dense and somewhat walkable areas near Schenectady. It has a good sized Asian student population, with a few Black students and a couple of Hispanic students. Test Scores for Niskayuna Central School District | GreatSchools
I haven't heard great things about Schenectady. It sounds like Niskayuna is better though? We are looking to buy a home for 350 - 400,000...is that reasonable in Niskayuna? Is it family friendly? Does the town itself have character?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 AM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
In regards to Schenectady, it varies depending upon where you are. Here's a good previous thread on the city: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alban...hborhoods.html

As for Niskayuna, you should be fine within that price range. This should help: RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate |

http://www.niskayuna.org/Public_Documents/index

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2012 at 12:41 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM

267 posts, read 971,298 times
Niskayuna is a great town for families. I especially like "Old Niskayuna". The area is walkable and has older homes w/character. You would have lots of homes to choose from w/your price range. Ask away if you've got more questions. I grew up in Niskayuna, when I moved back to the area we decided we wanted to live in Sch'dy. Both places have their pros & cons. It really depends on what you are specifically looking for in a home, neighborhood, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area