U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2008, 05:18 PM

110 posts, read 301,344 times
Default Albany city profile

I would like to hear your opinions of the Upstate city to kind of get an idea of what to look for when I visit in the Spring or Summer. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Does anyone know about this city?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:37 PM

18 posts, read 41,452 times
a small city with a big city vibe. you'll enjoy it. lots of great architecture and an urban fabric rivalling cities many times its size.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 AM

^ Thanks.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 PM

What cities compare to Albany, if there are any? I have driven through Albany before on my way to Montreal, but never stopped there and checked it out.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM

266 posts, read 538,699 times
I really don't have a very good answer for you, hopefully someone who knows Albany better will respond. I'll give you my limited knowledge.

I go to Albany mainly on the weekend during the day to visit the State Museum, or for tours of various historic homes/bldgs. I've gone to Albany for the Tulip festival, Lark Fest, Veteran's Day parade, 4th of July fireworks, shows at the Egg, the drive thru Washington Park for the holiday light display & years ago for 1st Night. I've also had nice dinners in Albany.

I will admit that I don't spend a lot of time there, normally for something special I drive into town and drive out. I like to simply walk around and look at the architecture.

I guess to me it seems like theres a lot going on. When I first moved back to the area I also looked at alot of house. My favorite areas were Central Sq. & on Lake Ave at the opposite end of Wash. Park.

Sorry I can't help more.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:36 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,846,082 times
wheelingman, the response by j12308 was really quite good - looks like he(she?) knows the area pretty well after all!

I've lived & worked in the capital district for over 20 years; I think you'll like it as long as you don't listen to all the downstaters that say "it's not NYC". Don't get me wrong - not all of them say that, , but I do hear it a lot. (IMO, it sort of reminds me of a pocket of Brooklyn with some Long Island suburbia thrown in the mix - but anyway!)

The traffic has it's moments as there are only 3 main arteries into & out of the city limits. But even that is tolerable. The people are very friendly although you may not think so at first. There are so many colleges & universities in the area that tend to bring a diverse population of age, ethnicities, etc., along for the ride.

The architecture is quite impressive - some buildings are over 300 years old...a nice contrast to the "contemporary" design of the Empire State Plaza. There are some very good cooking schools nearby: CIA in Hyde Park 90 minutes south & SCC 20 minutes west. This has been great for the area as many chefs stay & set up shop here. LOTS of terrific restaurants.

Do you like music? Lots of live venues with good variety, and a pretty decent performing arts scene as well. Summertime has lots of free concerts going on all over; the Corning Preserve on the Hudson River, the shows at the Plaza & in local pocket parks scattered t/o downtown.

Washington Park was designed by the same fellow who designed Central Park in NYC, & it shows! I'm embarrassed I forget his name . They have the Tulip Fest every Mother's Day weekend & the Lobster Fest every Father's day weekend. A good excuse to get out!

The "problem" with Albany is that it is relatively quiet unless you take advantage of the events mentioned above. Sadly the downtown isn't a bustling metro area for leisure activity. Check the Times Union 'Preview' insert on thursdays - it lists upcoming events & entertainment. Even better is the Metroland, a local weekly.

A very nice thing about Albany is it's proximity to close-in areas like the Adirondaks, Thatcher State Park, the Stockade in Schenectady, antiques in Troy, Saratoga Springs, etc. Plus you are only 3-4 hours in any direction from a large city - NYC, Montreal, Boston, & Rochester/Syracuse. Pretty countryside in the Hudson Valley & the Catskills - get out & check out all the little towns!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 PM

^ That is the exact type of profile I wanted. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:23 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,846,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
^ That is the exact type of profile I wanted. Thanks.
Happy to help! I'm adding to that post that I think the upstate road and power line crews are EXCEPTIONAL! We just had a major ice storm last week - I was out of power for four & a half days. The line crews were everywhere 24/7, working hard & freezing their gonads off, but they got it done. I grew up in Colorado & there is an amazing difference between how NY clears the snowy streets - , vs. CO -

Also, you should check out the picture thread - there's a few Albany area pics incl. Cohoes Falls. Someday I'm going to learn how to upload photos to the internet....but not today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area