Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 PM

20 posts, read 54,626 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have decided to create a shotgun-style mini-wedding for ourselves this Christmas, now that we're expecting a baby. We're both originally from Upstate New York and all of our immediate family is there, so we figured we would do an immediate-family-only type deal (about 10-15 people). We want to spend minimal money. We will dress up, but probably not in wedding garb, just pretty clothes that we like.

Right now we're leaning toward a city hall ceremony, but could be convinced of a Justice of the Peace type deal in a cool setting if it didn't cost too much. We're thinking afterward we could all go to dinner someplace, followed, perhaps, by carriage rides in Washington Park to see the lights displays.

So, my questions:

Which city in the Albany area has the prettiest city hall? Bonus if it's well decorated for Christmas as that will make the pictures nicer.

Where would be a lovely place for dinner following the "ceremony?" Ideally it would have a small private dining room, or we could even rent out the whole thing...but taking reservations for a large party would be fine, too. A fireplace or other type of cozy winter feature would be a bonus.

Is the Lights in the Park display in Washington Park worth it?

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

-Soon to married AND a mama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 06:16 PM

19 posts, read 85,395 times
I will brain storm on this - but wanted to say Congrats! I got married last month by a friend who is also a minister and I am also expecting!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 PM

20 posts, read 54,626 times
Thanks! We've been together for 13 years, so the wedding is really just a formality/practicality at this point (I'm going to jump on his health insurance). It will be nice to grow up and stop saying "my boyfriend," though, especially now that he'll be my baby's father. And we're ecstatic about the baby. Our due date is June 1st.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Lake George Weddings

They handle small weddings in addition to large ones. Located in Lake George.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
PeaG, Congratulations!

There will be a lot of spots for the holidays that will be looking good. Just check with the city offices to confirm days & times - the economy has forced a lot of municipalities to scale back the # of hours they leave the lights going. The state capital in Albany is spitting distance from city hall & lots of people pose for pictures on the front steps - it makes for a striking photo.

Washington Park does look pretty...but the lights in the park are more child-like than they are what I would picture for the background of a wedding event. The Lake House in the park however, does end up looking very festive.

Both Saratoga Springs & Troy really do up their downtown streets for a Victorian Stroll. Lots of fun, free events up & down the streets, the windows look magical, it's like stepping back in time. Plus there are loads of restaurants to choose from.

I agree with the above poster about Lake George - if that's not too far for you to drive, there are some really nice inns where you could have everything under one roof. Also, south of Albany, lots of cool towns like Greenville & Rhinebeck, Millbrook, etc. have neat little Inn/Restaurant spots.

I would go to the IloveNY website - I think it's still around - & see what various venues are offering.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 17,524 times
So, is there a URL we can go and see the pictures. Which city hall did you end up getting married in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area