Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM

103 posts, read 572,272 times

Advertisements

What would approximate taxes on a modest 3 BR, 2 bath house in a nice suburb with good schools be, is there too much of a variation to answer that question? Just curious...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 PM

207 posts, read 643,192 times
You can see the per-community property tax rates (including school tax) for NY here:

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/...2007table2.pdf

As a very general rule, rates tend to be about 2.5% to 3% of the appraised home value (so say $7500 for a $250K house). Rates do vary quite a bit, but once you pick a few school districts, you can look up the local property tax rates in that table.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Thank you! Wow, I have to say I'm a little surprised at how high the taxes are... I thought Westchester County, where I live, always took the cake on property taxes. Do the high property taxes in the Albany area mean that all the union workers are really highly paid/have great benefits/both, or what is it? I think that's a lot of what goes on here.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorainTarrytown View Post
Do the high property taxes in the Albany area mean that all the union workers are really highly paid/have great benefits/both, or what is it? I think that's a lot of what goes on here.
Yes, they are shockingly high. I think the two biggest problems are that the counties have to cover part of Medicare expenses (25%?) and that there have been many retiree benefits promised over the years. In an area with a declining tax base, old promises become increasingly burdensome.

Ironically enough, the nicest areas tend to have the lowest property taxes around here because they are newer and lack the legacy retiree benefit costs. Schenectady on the other hand is an awful place and it has the highest property taxes in the state (over 5%). They are still paying for their employees from when the area was booming with twice its current population in the 50s.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertntony View Post
You can see the per-community property tax rates (including school tax) for NY here:

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/...2007table2.pdf

As a very general rule, rates tend to be about 2.5% to 3% of the appraised home value (so say $7500 for a $250K house). Rates do vary quite a bit, but once you pick a few school districts, you can look up the local property tax rates in that table.
That $7.5K isn't accurate everywhere! My house is assessed for $180K and I pay over $6 in taxes every year with a STAR reduction that looks to be out the window so I'll be screwed! Without the STAR reduction, my taxes would be another $2700. I live in Albany county in a city, but not Albany.

What town/city/village are you looking at? We have property and school taxes as well as county tax. Make sure you find out what all of them are. You may want to be sitting down when you calculate it all out!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That $7.5K isn't accurate everywhere! My house is assessed for $180K and I pay over $6 in taxes every year with a STAR reduction that looks to be out the window so I'll be screwed!
Yeah, I think you'd be looking at about $9k/year in Schenectady. I have been surprised how many people I have met here that have always lived in the area and don't think that the property tax rates are unusual. They are astronomical.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM

Ahh, benefits that were promised in the past... Not planning a move just yet, but maybe in the future. Definitely something to bear in mind if we do move. Thanks, everyone!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM

688 posts, read 1,247,354 times
I have been shocked as well at the tax rate. AND, that is JUST property taxes. You must pay School Taxes in addition (something I had never even heard of before moving here...in my past experience, School Taxes were paid out of the Property Tax fund).

I read an explanation for the high tax rate just recently which made sense to me. Let me share it with you, please.

Albany (Capitol District) hosts a very large number of non-profit organizations. Non-profit organizations do not pay taxes. Someone must make up the difference. Thus, for-profit businesses and ordinary wage earners and all the others that are NOT tax exempt pay more percentage-wise to keep the boat afloat. Aha!

Make sense?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:57 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Albany (Capitol District) hosts a very large number of non-profit organizations. Non-profit organizations do not pay taxes. Someone must make up the difference. Thus, for-profit businesses and ordinary wage earners and all the others that are NOT tax exempt pay more percentage-wise to keep the boat afloat. Aha!

Make sense?
That's a CROCK! That's someone's p*$$ poor attempt to give an excuse. The excuse is the politicians in Albany.

Live in Albany and you'll see how the state doesn't run and is so freaking dysfunctional. It's pathetic!

Our moronic governor has cried poor mouth for months and this new budget is joke. It's 9% higher than last year. We have LESS money! So why is the budget increasing?

There's a reason the state has been losing a significant portion of the population every year. My family will be exiting next year. We stayed waiting out the economy, but we can't wait any longer. This state is sucking us down. I was born and raised here and have no NY pride. I'm embarrassed to say I'm from here! I refuse to be a deckhand on the Titanic.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post

Make sense?
Sounds bogus to me.

NY politicians are completely incapable of balancing a budget with anything but tax increases, so that's all we ever get. Despite the dire state budget this year, I believe that the newly proposed budget only involved eliminating a couple hundred state worker jobs. This despite the fact that NY has far too many state employees given its population (as compared to the state employee per capita rate of other states). As a point of comparision, California has proposed eliminating about 20000 state jobs to balance their budget (in addition to substantial tax increases).

I'm sure that some public employee areas are short on people, but just look up the TimesUnion article about the state worker that gets paid 90k+ a year and has not had a single thing to do in years. He said that he listens to his iPod and counts cars pass on the interstate while at work. Oh, and he was complaining about it, because he didn't think it was "fair" that he was bored. I don't think it's fair that he has a taxpayer supported job.

(As an aside, the property tax rates that I referred to above include school tax, but they are still way too high.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area