U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
273 posts, read 639,127 times
Reputation: 206

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler8 View Post
what heck were you thinking about moving to florida. COME BACK HOME AND LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST WHERE EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS HERE i live in saratoga springs and its awesome
I would love to. My 2-year countdown clock to retirement has already started. Would love to end up in Lake George or Saratoga area. Still an awesome part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,689 times
Reputation: 10
Dear Ilong: Sounds like you didn't want to move to Florida anyway as the tone of your remarks suggest. With this kind of introduction you are encouraging the type of person who doesn't like Florida living to respond to you in a negative fashion. I read most of the remarks about Florida living on the forum. Some are well intentioned and accurate and some are not. I grew up in NY and moved to Miami Fl in 1965. After teaching there for 30 years my wife and I moved to Venice, Fl. Yes we used to joke about cockroaches being so large you can buy a saddle and ride them. Home depot has lots of spray on products which keep these critters at bay. Not a problem. Humidity is high in the summer which is why many in our neighborhood do their daily walking in the mornings or evenings when the temp is in the high 70's. If you live in extreme South Fl expect to have your house tented for termites at least once during your lifetime. An expensive proposition. If your finances can stand it I suggest you spend 2 weeks in Fl during the summer and 2 weeks here during the winter. Some people just don't like the humidity. We love Fl and would never leave it. Come to Venice and visit the ocean in the evening when there is an offshore breeze. Totally romantic and beautiful. Many people who have winter homes in Venice eventually sell their northern homes and move here permanently because it is so fine. If you are socially outgoing and belong to a church or some kind of organization then there is a place for you in Fl. My hobby is gardening and I can I can pursue my hobby all year long. Communicate with people who like Florida and you will get a different perspective on Florida living. At any rate good luck to you. Morgan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 07:21 PM
 
74 posts, read 296,295 times
Reputation: 36
Default Still thinking about Fl

Okay...it's 3 years later and still thinking about a move to FL. My mom, who is my last family member in NY maybe moving to FL because the taxes on her home are 13,ooo Though I really think Saratoga is great place to raise kids...it's hard to go to ballet recital, preschool graduation, pumpkin carving etc.... without any family here. When does family take over for the location you live? I just had my 3rd child and don't want her to not have a nana. I know Florida is not perfect though I'm not sure I want to be without family for all of lifes precious moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM
 
5,714 posts, read 12,848,978 times
Reputation: 9015
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
Okay...it's 3 years later and still thinking about a move to FL. My mom, who is my last family member in NY maybe moving to FL because the taxes on her home are 13,ooo Though I really think Saratoga is great place to raise kids...it's hard to go to ballet recital, preschool graduation, pumpkin carving etc.... without any family here. When does family take over for the location you live? I just had my 3rd child and don't want her to not have a nana. I know Florida is not perfect though I'm not sure I want to be without family for all of lifes precious moments.
Sounds like you would move to FL for family reasons, which is a good reason, as long as you and/or your spouse can get comparable employment, accept education available in FL which is not on par with what you may be used to, etc. My children live in various states and we visit them frequently, which makes it very special. Unfortunately we are not able or willing to move south, due to intense heat and humidity, so we settle for SKYPE, phone calls and visits. You have to follow your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 PM
 
74 posts, read 296,295 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Sounds like you would move to FL for family reasons, which is a good reason, as long as you and/or your spouse can get comparable employment, accept education available in FL which is not on par with what you may be used to, etc. My children live in various states and we visit them frequently, which makes it very special. Unfortunately we are not able or willing to move south, due to intense heat and humidity, so we settle for SKYPE, phone calls and visits. You have to follow your heart.
Thank you Ellwood...all good advice. I continue to fluctuate on my decisions because I'm not totally sold that FLorida is for me. While visiting in June I thought some areas were nice....but by the end of the week I got annoyed by all of the "gates". Why is everyone in Florida so paranoid? Are there more ax murders there? I can't think of one "gated" area in Saratoga County. In addition, I may have a delusional view of FLorida as always sunny...the heat and humidity was oppressive when we visited. Though I'm not sure if Saratoga winters or Florida summers are better? I guess I need to continue my soul search. Thank you again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 06:20 AM
 
5,714 posts, read 12,848,978 times
Reputation: 9015
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
Thank you Ellwood...all good advice. I continue to fluctuate on my decisions because I'm not totally sold that FLorida is for me. While visiting in June I thought some areas were nice....but by the end of the week I got annoyed by all of the "gates". Why is everyone in Florida so paranoid? Are there more ax murders there? I can't think of one "gated" area in Saratoga County. In addition, I may have a delusional view of FLorida as always sunny...the heat and humidity was oppressive when we visited. Though I'm not sure if Saratoga winters or Florida summers are better? I guess I need to continue my soul search. Thank you again
Saratoga has relatively little crime when compared to FL, where crime is much higher. I would imagine that is the reason for many of the gated communities.

It's a trade off with Saratoga winters and FL summers. The advantage of winter here is you are able to get out and do things, especially with children. Where in FL the heat and humidity are so oppressive. We have snowbird friends and they had to stay in FL for the past two summers and they said they would die if they had to do it again. Outdoor activities were so limited, even though they have a 40+ foot boat.

Since you have young children, you might need to focus on what FL has to offer them , especially in the educational arena. Good luck.

Last edited by Ellwood; 07-27-2010 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Florida
5 posts, read 9,779 times
Reputation: 13
Every.Single.Word. that homewardbound and AndreaII said about FL is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!! Do not ruin your happiness and quality of life by moving to this hot, sticky, overrun, bug-infested hellhole of a place.

I'm a FL native: born and raised in crime-infested Fort Pierce (southeast coast) and I've been living in Orlando for 13 years. I did live in Rhode Island but had to come back to hell--I mean FL--due to money issues. I've been trying to get back to the northeast ever since.

Most people like FL because it's cheaper and they don't have to shovel snow. Well, you get what you pay for, and here in Orlando you take your life in your hands everywhere you go...and did I mention that 4 cities in FL were ranked in the Top 10 Worst Cities for Pedestrians? And the bugs...OMG I literally cannot step outside my house without at least 20 mosquitoes biting me. As soon as it rains, cockroaches scurry around and find their way into your house, no matter how nice it is. Fireants, biting flies, poisonous snakes, yep, everything is here and all over the place. In Fort Pierce I once found a pile of baby pygmy rattlesnakes in my foyer. Lovely. The gators are the least of your worries

I have many friends from the New England area and the Albany area who moved to FL and moved right back to where they came from. I could list the reasons why FL is hell, but seriously, homeward bound already did and I'd take that as gospel! lol

Ironically enough, I'm on this thread because I'm researching the Rochester vs. Albany area to move my little family to this year. I've got a toddler and I vowed never to raise him here in the 'south'...I want him to have 4 SEASONS, safe schools and a better quality of life. I'd seriously not move here if you value a good quality of life. The Disney World image is a very misleading facade created to boost tourism. It's not representative of any sort of reality.

Sorry for being so negative, but I'm trying to provide you with some honest, 'in the trenches' sort of advice. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Saratoga Springs and Copake Lake.
263 posts, read 522,919 times
Reputation: 173
Homeward Bound hit it on the head, jeez Florida? should give it to Castro.
Heat, Humidity, old people driving all over the place (sorry guys) . You dont like winter, Winter KILLS insects, I like that blank cold blanket that cleans everything. Anyhow, that me, I live in Toga also, take up Winter sports, buy a snowmobile, ice fish with kids, its a blast, see you at Chowder fest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM
 
7 posts, read 14,811 times
Reputation: 11
Yes I have read all the postings some are very honest and helpful but for what ever reason some tend to be nothing but negative and worthless. Having said that I am asking for honest, intelligent and from the heart responses. I am 56 single and looking at a couple of areas-Sarasota or Inverness or Naples. Tell me what to expect. Also my kids and grandkids are looking into Clearwater, they have school age children. What is most important to us is safety, schools, activities for young and old (me). Anything about the senior singles scene always perks my interest. Other town suggestion is also welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM
 
5,714 posts, read 12,848,978 times
Reputation: 9015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckchats View Post
Yes I have read all the postings some are very honest and helpful but for what ever reason some tend to be nothing but negative and worthless. Having said that I am asking for honest, intelligent and from the heart responses. I am 56 single and looking at a couple of areas-Sarasota or Inverness or Naples. Tell me what to expect. Also my kids and grandkids are looking into Clearwater, they have school age children. What is most important to us is safety, schools, activities for young and old (me). Anything about the senior singles scene always perks my interest. Other town suggestion is also welcome.
We reside in Saratoga NY and travel to FL in the winter months, spending limited time in Naples, and most of our time in the Keys. From a personal standpoint, I find Naples extremely crowded with people and traffic. It is very upscale and an expensive area. We have been to Clearwater and although I have no insight into schools, etc. I like it better than Naples. Suggest you post on the FLORIDA FORUM for the information you are seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top