U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 AM

52 posts, read 410,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
The lovely "grass" here in Florida is St Augustine, or a variant of the same. You have to constantly water it, treat it with chemicals and then pray that Chinch Bugs and the like don't destroy large patches of it.

Nice comments on the fire ants, too...........VERY TRUE! If you don't watch where you stand for more then a few seconds, you could have a very rude surprise in your shoes and pant legs.

As far as lawns in NY, I remember living in South Kortright (Delaware County) as a kid. We never did anything to the lawn, other than mow it in the spring, summer and fall. That lawn was pleasant to walk on, or even lay down on (and I was never swarmed by bugs while doing so).

Florida has it's charms, but they are overshadowed by crowds, heavy traffic and oppressive heat from late April through October. Having lived in both places, I agree with some of the other posters on this thread.......Florida is a nice place to VISIT, but NY is and will always be a better place to LIVE.

I WILL move back home to NY someday, hopefully soon.

Mike
I empathize with you Mike in FL. When trapped living in FL, it helps to retain a sense of humor about it. This too shall pass! I spent a decade there before I was finally able to escape. Being from NY originally, it made being in FL even worse. Like other posters have said, sure NY has plenty of issues too, but for geographic beauty, a rich history, four real seasons, access to cultural activities, and a lawn that you don't have to do anything to and it still is soft and green, it can't be beat. Where there's a will there's a way; I'll send an S.O.S. to the universe that you too find your way back to NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:01 AM

512 posts, read 1,843,499 times
Can't agree more with these latest posts...I have a friend (native Floridian) that I met years ago in the service. He's proud of being a native of that state...and that's fine. I, too, am just as proud (and defensive...just look at some of my posts) of upstate NY. I guess Florida has it's merits. ....can't really explain it...just like where I live..and proud of it.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,175 times
Smile South Florida vs. Saratoga Springs

I have been living in South Florida for the past 10 years relocating from Europe - hahaha sunshine state ok . Just in the summer don't plan anything after 2 pm - you will face terrantial downpours almost daily ! Grass? you mean these green weeds out back ? Yikes you dont want to step on it without shoes . Summer time ? yeah prepare yourself to be locked up inside from July to September - the scorching heat and humditiy will knock you out. Oh and then don't forge the friendly people - ever seen the statistics that we have the worst road rage here - I can attest to it . If you feel like spending 1 1/2 hours each way to commute - welcome to Florida . And before you come down here - make sure that you are proficient in Spanish ! You may not be understood in many areas without it .
As for me - I am flying up to Saratoga springs twice a month , and our summer vacation is spend there as well . The kids love it there too .
Honestly - if you get too much of the winter , book a short break to a sunny place and be glad you have a great place to go back to .
I can't wait to leave Florida and move to Saratoga Springs !

Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,245,677 times
Why would you ever want to leave Saratoga, most beautiful place in North America.

Florida is a hole, largely filled with transient failures from various places.

Moderator cut: image copyright

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-16-2007 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 07:05 AM

24,322 posts, read 39,774,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkersmom View Post
Well, to Takemehome and Raven and Bear. Thanks. I have been contemplating relocating my family to Florida because I am so unhappy with the school system where we are in Westchester.
When I read this, I thought "They are disappointed in the schools in Westchester and are thinking of moving to Florida???", but I guess that you live in Yonkers and there are issues there. Stay in New York if schools are important to you. Florida schools are mostly run on a county level, meaning they are enormous and teachers are not held accountable. From my family's experience, even the systems that are considered the best are not any better than the ones up north that are considered to be just good. Jay

Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM

9 posts, read 43,016 times
Hi JayCT, We'll be staying in New York some where. Yonkers public schools are very dissapointing, the neighborhoods are changing, according to the local news there are too many gangs, etc. I haven't had any safety issues nor do I feel unsafe at this point but the schools can be frightening. It depends what school the BOE sticks you in. It's not your choice it's the choice of the Board of Ed. I Don't like that. It's just a mess. Private schools are too expensive. They have gotton ridiculous in tuition. Florida was very impressive, but reading all the negative stuff on here, I'm afraid to move there. The schools here are too rough for my taste. But we are looking around in other areas of NY. NY is pretty big so I'm sure we'll find something..

Old 07-17-2007, 07:00 AM

Yonkersmom - Don't get me wrong, there are school systems in Florida that are good. My cousin has struggled to find one that she felt was good enough. She compares everything to the education we had in Connecticut and says they all fall short of what we recieved. She ended up in St. John's County which is top rated for Florida but she noted that because the system is so big there is a lack of accountability and a lot of poor decisions. She also felt that the schools themselves were too large in general but did note that the facilities were excellent. School buildings though do not make aneducation. Anyway, good luck with your decision on moving. Maybe consider Connecticut. Jay

Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM

JayCT, We are looking in CT too. Any good places? I know the education is better in NY, but its getting rough here. We are staying North but we don't know where yet. I've been reading the threads listed under Florida and most of them are very negative. What a turn off. But all the negative comments I have read made me appreciate where we are and see that it is not as bad as I think it is. I'm actually glad because I think moving to FL would have been a huge mistake.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkersmom View Post
JayCT, We are looking in CT too. Any good places? I know the education is better in NY, but its getting rough here. We are staying North but we don't know where yet. I've been reading the threads listed under Florida and most of them are very negative. What a turn off. But all the negative comments I have read made me appreciate where we are and see that it is not as bad as I think it is. I'm actually glad because I think moving to FL would have been a huge mistake.
Fortunately you realized this before moving. A lot of people think things are so much cheaper down south and that because there is no snow, everything is wonderful (basically the old "Grass is greener on the other side). When they get there they realize that things really aren't as cheap as you think and you get a LOT less there.

Anyway, I will suggest the Hartford area to you. Housing costs are much cheaper than the New York City area and there are great schools in most towns. Plus you are about 2-hours to New York or Boston. Another option would be the Danbury area. A little more expensive but very nice and accessible to the city, Westchester and Fairfield County. Check out the Connecticut Boards for more information. Jay

Old 07-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Thanks Jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or