Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,707 times

Advertisements

I call bulls**t on the above post "soucha" and anyone else that says the South is some sort of close-minded area of the country. The South is no more close-minded than NYC or Boston, MA, Albany, NY, Alameda, CA or Olympia, WA or anywhere else in the world. I have lived in every part of the U.S. and I still hear the racial slurs no matter if I am in the SE, NE, W, NW..etc....If you want to get away from racism and close-mindedness good luck as you're not going to find that city. As far as finding open-minded people? You obviously are looking in the wrong places. Some of the most open-minded people I have met are *from* Georgia so that's just *not the truth*. If you are going to Albany, NY to be closer to family or for a good job then that's good enough reason to go. If you are going to get away from so-called "backwards thinking, close-minded" people I see fail written all over your decision. It's just not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM

57 posts, read 162,829 times
i call BS on you! lol.. J/K actually.. there are close minded people everywhere...

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,294 times
Totally agree with the last two posts. When I worked for a little over a year in Schenectady, I heard as many racial slurs there as my 10 years in Colorado. In Schenectady, it was directed towards blacks and Puerto Ricans. In Colorado, it was directed towards Mexicans.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:56 AM

47 posts, read 158,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soucha View Post
Oh, I can very much attest to the closed mindedness in the south. I now live in AL and the people are as nice as can be most of the time but have the mentality from the 1950s! I hear about "the mexicans" much more often than I'd like. And they are VERY stubborn. My husband is from Washington State (were this isn't an issue) and we are tired of the attitude and the heat. I am trying to plan a move to new england late next year. I have a friend in Binghamton- does anyone have any advice or input for a young couple needing some acreage and lots of beautiful hiking?
Oh I feel ya about the Mexican thing. Down here, all latinos are Mexicans. Yesterday we saw this mullet wearing woman with a crop top shirt. On the back of the crop top shirt was a confederate flag that said this: "If this shirt offends you, then you don't know your history."

Well we decided on going back to NYC. Only reason being is because that is where my fiancee's family is. I love upstate New York and was kind of hoping on that area, but NYC isn't so bad, especially in comparison to Rome, GA.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 AM

47 posts, read 158,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x3693 View Post
I call bulls**t on the above post "soucha" and anyone else that says the South is some sort of close-minded area of the country. The South is no more close-minded than NYC or Boston, MA, Albany, NY, Alameda, CA or Olympia, WA or anywhere else in the world. I have lived in every part of the U.S. and I still hear the racial slurs no matter if I am in the SE, NE, W, NW..etc....If you want to get away from racism and close-mindedness good luck as you're not going to find that city. As far as finding open-minded people? You obviously are looking in the wrong places. Some of the most open-minded people I have met are *from* Georgia so that's just *not the truth*. If you are going to Albany, NY to be closer to family or for a good job then that's good enough reason to go. If you are going to get away from so-called "backwards thinking, close-minded" people I see fail written all over your decision. It's just not going to happen.
I call BS on your above statement as well.

I have lived in Louisiana. While racism and intolerence did exist, it was nowhere near this level as in Georgia, same as in NYC. I have heard the N word and dirty Mexican word more times in 3 months than I heard in NYC for three years. Please do not sit here and state that my feelings and experiences are bull**** for you have not walked in my shoes. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,760 times
I'm in Upstate SC right now and looking at Albany-Troy-Schenectady. I've lived in the South for 32 of my 46 years and I think I've finally had about all I can take of the South. LOL.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelfire View Post
I'm in Upstate SC right now and looking at Albany-Troy-Schenectady. I've lived in the South for 32 of my 46 years and I think I've finally had about all I can take of the South. LOL.
Go for it. It's a nice area, with a lot to do. You are also close to many major cities like NYC, Boston, Montreal and Philadelphia.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy the Pooh View Post
I call BS on your above statement as well.

I have lived in Louisiana. While racism and intolerence did exist, it was nowhere near this level as in Georgia, same as in NYC. I have heard the N word and dirty Mexican word more times in 3 months than I heard in NYC for three years. Please do not sit here and state that my feelings and experiences are bull**** for you have not walked in my shoes. Thanks.
It has been especially nasty here in Upstate South Carolina since Obama got elected. Let me give an example. Just a few days after the Nov. election, one of our black structural designers actually ended up resigning and leaving the state (he moved to northern VA) because some whites in his dept. would not quit making nasty ad hominem remarks about Obama. They actually finally "had words" about it one day, and my employer sent the black guy home - ostensibly to "cool off" - but it sent the wrong message IMO. The people making the comments are the ones who should have been sent home without pay. The black guy ended up being the one "punished," and he wasn't even doing anything wrong.

I can't speak to what happens elsewhere, or with what frequency, but this is a regular undercurrent of life here. Our city leaders have tried to put a nice whitewash on the small southern city where I currently live, but I know better.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelfire View Post
It has been especially nasty here in Upstate South Carolina since Obama got elected. Let me give an example. Just a few days after the Nov. election, one of our black structural designers actually ended up resigning and leaving the state (he moved to northern VA) because some whites in his dept. would not quit making nasty ad hominem remarks about Obama. They actually finally "had words" about it one day, and my employer sent the black guy home - ostensibly to "cool off" - but it sent the wrong message IMO. The people making the comments are the ones who should have been sent home without pay. The black guy ended up being the one "punished," and he wasn't even doing anything wrong.

I can't speak to what happens elsewhere, or with what frequency, but this is a regular undercurrent of life here. Our city leaders have tried to put a nice whitewash on the small southern city where I currently live, but I know better.
The fact that Joe Wilson is from South Carolina & belongs to "Sons of the Confederacy" and yelled "you lie" at our president speaks volumes about that state, and not in a good way. Generally speaking (of course there are exceptions on both sides), the South is more "closed-minded" about various cultural issues than other regions.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:36 AM

13 posts, read 35,143 times
I have lived in every southern state except the carolinas and traveled to every state in the continental US except VT. I have a very clear understanding that there is a some negativity everywhere but I am choosing to not be judgmental about another's experiences. I am saying in agreement with "pimpy the Pooh" (my experiences have been extremely similar) that Louisiana (still not like anywhere else- LA is all it's own in lifestyle:-), NY, MOST western and northern states and the people from there have reason to think the south is closed minded. I think the region is and I have lived here my whole life! I have friends and family in FL and LA and have made friends here in AL. Further proof that just like there are some negative people elsewhere, there are some open-minded people in the south... just not many. However I get 'accused' WEEKLY at my job of being a 'northerner' because how could a southerner have no accent and totally different lifestyle values?? Maybe because i value my health and the diversity in the world? I don't talk politics because they don't want to discuss it just want to go off on a tirade. I introduced the idea of recycling and they don't mind throwing things in labeled boxes if I am the one who takes it to the center because there is no pick-up. They don't concern themselves with their water quality or take advantage of the beautiful hiking they have here. Keep in mind too that the further out from bigger cities the more narrow minded the populations get and I blame it on the phrase "That's how we've always done it." ... I hate that phrase and yet I hear it a lot! Good. then let's just all move back into cabins and live like the settlers! No, they don't like that idea. LOL I am sorry to go on about this but I live way out it the country, grew up in the south and I am not that way, so why are 'they'?? I'm really confused. They GENERALLY just enjoy all gossip, fried food, hunting, and football. And gardening... southerners LOVE to garden- lol so that's a good thing! As an update, we will have to postpone our exodus and won't be able to move for another year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area