Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,447 times

Advertisements

My brother and his family (3 boys) are planning on moving to Schenectady for a job at GE.

I have read many threads about the area, Schenectady in particular. Is it really as poor and crime-ridden as some suggest? It has me concerned. I have visited the Albany area many times, but have never been to Schenectady.

My brother has no desire to live in Niskayuna. He claims it is too boring with no culture. They like living in an urban environment. Also, their kids were in private school in Boston, so he has no problem putting the kids in private school. Apparently Schenectady is not known for great schools.

My sil will be working in Albany so they concluded that Saratoga Springs is too far.

Any insight would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 05:34 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,789 times
If they like the urban environment, they might want to consider the Stockade area.

I'm not a big fan of Schenectady. The downtown is blah and the past year it's gotten a bad reputation in regards to the city police and shootings in the bad areas. I worked there for a couple of years and hated it (not at GE though).

GE is bringing in high paying jobs which should improve the area down the road. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in the city as well, especially around Union College. The whole city isn't bad, just pockets of it.

A commute from Saratoga would suck...even to just GE. The Rexford bridge is a terrible bottleneck. If his wife will be working in Albany, they might not want to rule out living there. It has more nice "urban" neighborhoods to check out.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 AM

267 posts, read 971,298 times
I personally really like it. Sch'dy has great areas and not nice areas. Each neighborhood is different. I grew up in the 'burbs, so I am not an inner city kid, but chose to live in this city to have my children live in a more diverse area. I was so sheltered, and felt it once I went away for school. My kids have friends of all types, rich, poor; black, white. We live in a wonderful neighborhood. When we moved in, neighbors brought food, cards and were just simply very welcoming. Over the years we've been included in birthday parties, graduation parties; they've baby sat for our kids, taken them out for ice cream. We go downtown for events like art night, and the holiday parade. The library is great, the parks are nice. We go on dates downtown and take our kids out to eat. My kids go to the public schools and we have no issues. I know kids that are in the middle and high schools as well. They don't have any problems, actually they are all thriving, successful teens. On this board, in the news you really hear the worst of the worst. Not the good or great, which really bugs me. If I didn't live here and know better you'd think that this city was a crumbling, crime ridden mess. There is crime, there is corruption don't get me wrong. This is a city like any other, it has it's problems. Feel free to email me w/questions. If they want to live in Sch'dy , w/kids there are places I'd point them too for a house. I love the stockade, but can't imagine living there w/ little kids. So it depends on their ages. The parking can be difficult. Grocery shopping for a large family to me (I have more than 2 myself) would be a nightmare. Not to mention if kids can't walk and you need to carry them. You might even be able to search the forum, I've described the various neighborhoods in the past. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
If they like the urban environment, they might want to consider the Stockade area.

I'm not a big fan of Schenectady. The downtown is blah and the past year it's gotten a bad reputation in regards to the city police and shootings in the bad areas. I worked there for a couple of years and hated it (not at GE though).

GE is bringing in high paying jobs which should improve the area down the road. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in the city as well, especially around Union College. The whole city isn't bad, just pockets of it.

A commute from Saratoga would suck...even to just GE. The Rexford bridge is a terrible bottleneck. If his wife will be working in Albany, they might not want to rule out living there. It has more nice "urban" neighborhoods to check out.
Amen to not living north of the Mohawk river, given where your jobs will be. I agree...while Niskayuna has excellent schools, it has a rural feel. Check out Guilderland, Latham, Loudonville...especially areas around Siena College. Commuting to Schenectady may be longer, but there will be multiple routes, nothing like the dreaded Rexford bottleneck.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 PM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
What about Rotterdam, Scotia and the older part of Niskayuna?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:51 AM

585 posts, read 2,222,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
I personally really like it. Sch'dy has great areas and not nice areas. Each neighborhood is different. I grew up in the 'burbs, so I am not an inner city kid, but chose to live in this city to have my children live in a more diverse area. I was so sheltered, and felt it once I went away for school. My kids have friends of all types, rich, poor; black, white. We live in a wonderful neighborhood. When we moved in, neighbors brought food, cards and were just simply very welcoming. Over the years we've been included in birthday parties, graduation parties; they've baby sat for our kids, taken them out for ice cream. We go downtown for events like art night, and the holiday parade. The library is great, the parks are nice. We go on dates downtown and take our kids out to eat. My kids go to the public schools and we have no issues. I know kids that are in the middle and high schools as well. They don't have any problems, actually they are all thriving, successful teens. On this board, in the news you really hear the worst of the worst. Not the good or great, which really bugs me. If I didn't live here and know better you'd think that this city was a crumbling, crime ridden mess. There is crime, there is corruption don't get me wrong. This is a city like any other, it has it's problems. Feel free to email me w/questions. If they want to live in Sch'dy , w/kids there are places I'd point them too for a house. I love the stockade, but can't imagine living there w/ little kids. So it depends on their ages. The parking can be difficult. Grocery shopping for a large family to me (I have more than 2 myself) would be a nightmare. Not to mention if kids can't walk and you need to carry them. You might even be able to search the forum, I've described the various neighborhoods in the past. Good luck!
Sorry for the negativity but my bias comes from the fact that when I moved to the Capital region, I moved from Colorado. Denver is a much bigger metro but seems to have a lot less problems.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:36 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Rotterdam, Scotia and the older part of Niskayuna?
The older part of Niskayuna does have some nice homes and a small walkable Union St shopping/restaurant district. Rotterdam schools are not the best. Scotia schools are fine, but the OP would face the same Rexford bridge problem.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:51 AM

264 posts, read 444,083 times
I've lived in Schenectady for 30 years (I'm 30- so.. all my life) so I have pretty good insight I wouldn't worry about them per se, but I DO think they need to pay attention to the areas in which they buy a home. Like most cities, I would think, there are rough areas... and nicer areas. I live in the middle- I'm definitely not in a 'bad' area, but not in "the best" either. I think MY biggest problem with Schenectady is the theft- seriously, it's awful around some of these parts. We've had our car broken into twice. Just on Friday my father parked the car on the curb of their house (Sch'dy) to just run inside to bring a box in before he went somewhere else.. and his blackberry's (2 phones.. one personal and one work) was stolen in the TWO minutes he ran in the house. Really?! Granted, he didn't lock the doors (and should have, we've learned)... but still.. he ran in for 2 minutes. Breaking into cars has been a big deal here for us and many people we know.. I HATE it.

Other than that, I've never been terribly worried about crime. I still feel like I can take my daughter (3.5) out for a walk and to parks.. like I said, you just have to know what areas to avoid. I've never been scared outside- but I wouldn't walk through hamilton hill, either

If they're going to be directly in Sch'dy, I would highly recommend private schools then. *I* went to Schenectady schools (inc. Sch'dy High) but I'm pretty sure it's gone downhill since I have (I graduated 11 years ago)- a report just came out last week that Sch'dy High is (again) on the list of most dangerous NY schools (top 13) and the graduation rate is.... wow. Not even half of HS students graduate- that's insane and unacceptable to me. So, I would def. recommend the private schools.

That said- the area is ok. I wish it were bigger, with more to do.. I tend to like BIG cities, though, and travel a lot. They'll find enough to do. And if all else fails, there's plenty of GREAT things to do within 3 hours.

We're going to be re-locating in a handful of years. While I'm here, always have been, and it's suited me fine... I would rather my daughter grow up elsewhere. We're not leaving yet, she'll be starting school in 2 years and i'm 100% fine with the elementary school she would be in, even the middle school.. I will not put her in Schenectady High. No way, no how.

We just want a change.. with maybe less snow! LOL.. but don't worry about your family coming here, they'll be fine

Old 08-30-2009, 10:26 AM

119 posts, read 285,397 times
Erika and help lovers :-) makes some good points.

As long as your smart about it, you'll be fine. When I moved to
Center Square Albany, I heard that it wasn't too bad. I had my car
broken into, pots stolen of my steps etc. I quickly learnt not to leave
anything valuable insight and it never happened again.

When your in Schenectady, do go and patronize the Proctors
Theatre. It's really quite amazing!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika♥Chris♥Lexi View Post
I've lived in Schenectady for 30 years (I'm 30- so.. all my life) so I have pretty good insight I wouldn't worry about them per se, but I DO think they need to pay attention to the areas in which they buy a home. Like most cities, I would think, there are rough areas... and nicer areas. I live in the middle- I'm definitely not in a 'bad' area, but not in "the best" either. I think MY biggest problem with Schenectady is the theft- seriously, it's awful around some of these parts. We've had our car broken into twice. Just on Friday my father parked the car on the curb of their house (Sch'dy) to just run inside to bring a box in before he went somewhere else.. and his blackberry's (2 phones.. one personal and one work) was stolen in the TWO minutes he ran in the house. Really?! Granted, he didn't lock the doors (and should have, we've learned)... but still.. he ran in for 2 minutes. Breaking into cars has been a big deal here for us and many people we know.. I HATE it.

Other than that, I've never been terribly worried about crime. I still feel like I can take my daughter (3.5) out for a walk and to parks.. like I said, you just have to know what areas to avoid. I've never been scared outside- but I wouldn't walk through hamilton hill, either

If they're going to be directly in Sch'dy, I would highly recommend private schools then. *I* went to Schenectady schools (inc. Sch'dy High) but I'm pretty sure it's gone downhill since I have (I graduated 11 years ago)- a report just came out last week that Sch'dy High is (again) on the list of most dangerous NY schools (top 13) and the graduation rate is.... wow. Not even half of HS students graduate- that's insane and unacceptable to me. So, I would def. recommend the private schools.

That said- the area is ok. I wish it were bigger, with more to do.. I tend to like BIG cities, though, and travel a lot. They'll find enough to do. And if all else fails, there's plenty of GREAT things to do within 3 hours.

We're going to be re-locating in a handful of years. While I'm here, always have been, and it's suited me fine... I would rather my daughter grow up elsewhere. We're not leaving yet, she'll be starting school in 2 years and i'm 100% fine with the elementary school she would be in, even the middle school.. I will not put her in Schenectady High. No way, no how.

We just want a change.. with maybe less snow! LOL.. but don't worry about your family coming here, they'll be fine
Actually, Schenectady High's grad. rate in 2008 was 62%, but that could be better. Source: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0600010025.pdf (page 11)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area