U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-27-2010, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 17,372 times
Question Municipalities with Lower Taxes in Capital Region?

Hi everyone,

I'm a young professional moving to the Capital Region for a new job.

I'm looking to purchase property, mainly because I'm sick of dealing with landlords. I want my own space.

Can anyone recommend any municipalities with lower taxes? (I know proprerty taxes are generally high, but some must be higher than others).

To be honest, I don't really care about the quality of Schools. I have no kids and don't plan on having any soon. I know that good schools increase the value of a home, but I'm interested in buying a home as a place to live, not as an investment.

Thanks a lot!

Matt
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-27-2010, 03:32 PM

26,980 posts, read 30,438,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymax View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a young professional moving to the Capital Region for a new job.

I'm looking to purchase property, mainly because I'm sick of dealing with landlords. I want my own space.

Can anyone recommend any municipalities with lower taxes? (I know proprerty taxes are generally high, but some must be higher than others).

To be honest, I don't really care about the quality of Schools. I have no kids and don't plan on having any soon. I know that good schools increase the value of a home, but I'm interested in buying a home as a place to live, not as an investment.

Thanks a lot!

Matt
Here's a great website: Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/?cnty=monroe - broken link)

Just search under Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Greene, Fulton, Montgomery, Washington and Columbia counties. Where your job is located will help in terms of which counties to look at.

Unread 03-28-2010, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 17,372 times
this is a huge, help, thanks so much!

Unread 03-29-2010, 05:22 AM

264 posts, read 228,798 times
Yeppers, that chart is great!
Believe it or not, the counties here with the highest taxes actually have the less-than-stellar schools (it's backwards, huh?) and some of the lower taxes areas have good schools. I know Colonie has lower taxes, but the houses all cost a bit more (than say... Schenectady... with MUCH higher taxes).. price range really matters, depends on what you're willing to pay

Unread 03-29-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika♥Chris♥Lexi View Post
Believe it or not, the counties here with the highest taxes actually have the less-than-stellar schools (it's backwards, huh?) and some of the lower taxes areas have good schools. I know Colonie has lower taxes, but the houses all cost a bit more (than say... Schenectady... with MUCH higher taxes).. price range really matters, depends on what you're willing to pay
What are the counties with higher taxes and less than stellar schools?

Unread 03-29-2010, 06:38 PM

266 posts, read 511,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika♥Chris♥Lexi View Post
For example when we were looking for homes 7 years ago, we looked in a 25mile radius around the Albany area. Taking the price of the home, and what the mortgage would be monthly, and the city, county, school taxes in account we got the best deal by far in Sch'dy. We were pretty picky on what we wanted. Don't get me wrong the taxes are more, the tax rate is more, but our mortgage payment is so much less that we are saving money living here. Granted in 23 years after we pay off the mortgage we will be paying a lot in taxes to stay here. But we figured we'll worry about that if and when it happens.

I'm sure this is the case a lot of times when you are comparing a city vs. town w/in the same county. The city of Albany vs. Guilderland; Schenectady vs. Niskayuna, etc, etc.

OP, you said you are buying for investment, so I'd think of what home and in what area will resell easily. Certain areas of each city in the area have desirable areas and areas where you can't give away the homes. Center Square in Albany is a nice area, Arbor Hill forget about it. In Schenectady the Stockade and the GE Plots are nice but Hamilton Hill isn't so nice...Good Luck!

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:11 PM

264 posts, read 228,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What are the counties with higher taxes and less than stellar schools?
Schenectady.. one of the highest taxed counties in the capital district, and the school constantly ranked on the bottom of the list.

Unread 03-31-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika?Chris?Lexi View Post
Schenectady.. one of the highest taxed counties in the capital district, and the school constantly ranked on the bottom of the list.
You also have to keep in mind that good school districts like Niskayuna, Guilderland, Scotia-Glenville, Schalmont and Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, among some others, are either mostly or partially in that county too. So, you have to put that into perspective, even with Schenectady City SD being in the county and even that district isn't as bad as some other urban districts in the state in a general sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area