Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM

5 posts, read 15,000 times

Advertisements

Looking into Saratoga Springs as a possible retirement area and we know that they get a lot snow which is ok by us, but are there frequent power outages and how quickly ae they usually taken care of?

How do emergancy generators work as far as restoring heat? I have asthma and cannot be withoug heat for hours. Just asking before we take
the plunge!

Also, on a different note, my friend who has been a frequest visitor to SS says there are not property taxes! Has she been missinformed all of these years?

Thank for all answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Snow is cleared quickly from the roads. Last year we had very little snow.

We have an automatic full house generator. Within 40 seconds of a power outage, the generator kicks on. Power outages vary depending upon where you live in the county/weather, etc. Last year power went out about four times.

Yes, we have taxes. County and school tax. Seniors (65 years old) get a reduction when they are 65 on the school tax. There is a $20K exemption for pensions, $40K couple.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:33 PM

50 posts, read 149,995 times
Every winter is pretty different here. Some years its mainly cold, others it is wet snow, others you get a couple blizzards. It's not really the snow that brings the power down--it's the ice. Last year (I beleive) we got a major ice storm that resulted in major power outages for a week+. So it is all the luck of the draw for the winter--power outages like the one mentioned are not the norm.

But really, it is a wonderful town and the snow is cleared in a good fashion. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnickles85 View Post
Every winter is pretty different here. Some years its mainly cold, others it is wet snow, others you get a couple blizzards. It's not really the snow that brings the power down--it's the ice. Last year (I beleive) we got a major ice storm that resulted in major power outages for a week+. So it is all the luck of the draw for the winter--power outages like the one mentioned are not the norm.

But really, it is a wonderful town and the snow is cleared in a good fashion. Good luck!
The major ice storm was two years ago and many without power for a week, which is why it is imperative you have a generator.

It IS a wonderful town and the people are great.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:15 AM

93,320 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What's interesting is that I found out that the Albany area only gets 4 more inches of snow on average than the Denver area in terms of snow(64 in. vs. 60 in.) So, compared to other parts of Upstate NY, it's not that bad at all. This is a great website showing this over a long period of years too: Snowfall - Average Total In Inches

Old 05-16-2010, 11:23 AM

63 posts, read 152,047 times
I live near Albany, my sister is up in SS. She always seems to have more snow & power outages than I do, but definitely liveable. She does keep a kerosene heater and candles on hand just in case, but I don't think they get much use. Roads are cleared very quickly - hey, it's the northeast, and they're prepared for snow!

Gosh, I can't imagine retiring to a snowy place, but hey, if you like snow, enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area