U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2010, 08:15 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,024,682 times
For soccer we have

AUFC Home
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM

1,795 posts, read 2,010,941 times
Interesting, the comparison between Santa Fe and Eugene. Would not have occurred to me. I was just in Eugene and saw nothing that reminded me of Santa Fe even remotely.

Eugene: large university, small government presence, overwhelmingly white population, no tourism to speak of, excellent public transport system.

Santa Fe: no university, big government town, dominant Hispanic and Native American influence and presence, VERY tourist-oriented, sub-par public transport.

Eugene has more of a no-frills, unpretentious, frumpy feeling to it, reminiscent more of Albuquerque than Santa Fe (and I mean that in a good way).

Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 AM

359 posts, read 472,758 times
My niece, who is 3 1/2, is visiting me right now and we have taken her to a couple things that she really liked: the botanical gardens (they have a great children's fantasy garden and a train that also takes you to the zoo and aquarium) and up the tram to the top of Sandia peak (walk around the top when you get up there).

As for where to live, based on the fact that you have young children and your income level, I would recommend looking east of Louisiana and north of Paseo del Norte.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM

678 posts, read 1,378,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Interesting, the comparison between Santa Fe and Eugene. Would not have occurred to me. I was just in Eugene and saw nothing that reminded me of Santa Fe even remotely.

Eugene: large university, small government presence, overwhelmingly white population, no tourism to speak of, excellent public transport system.

Santa Fe: no university, big government town, dominant Hispanic and Native American influence and presence, VERY tourist-oriented, sub-par public transport.

Eugene has more of a no-frills, unpretentious, frumpy feeling to it, reminiscent more of Albuquerque than Santa Fe (and I mean that in a good way).
Thanks for the comparison. Like I said, I know nothing of Santa Fe except that it *seems* that the same people who frequent the hip college towns like Eugene, Boulder, Madison, Flagstaff, etc. also mention Santa Fe in the same breath. But from what I've now read, it sounds like Santa Fe is really more of a retirement mecca than young hipster mecca. Either way, I'm not sure it's really the ideal place to find dense concentrations of like-minded young families with kids. Just doesn't sound like the sort of place where the community priority is schools, playgrounds, pools, youth leagues, etc.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:34 PM

678 posts, read 1,378,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
For soccer we have

AUFC Home
Great thanks. I was also surprised to learn that my daughter's Texas soccer club is also opening an affiliate in Albuquerque

Sting Soccer

So sounds like lots of opportunities.

Last edited by texasdiver; 06-17-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,024,682 times
Your daughter will probably be happy about that if you decide to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque