U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 AM

343 posts, read 396,274 times

Advertisements

I have a tentative job in ABQ, looking at Cedar Ridge or Sandia Crest. Manager at job tells me that sometimes I-40 is actually closed during snowstorms and he is worried about me being able to get in, but locals out there say it is rare and they will let you through if you live there. I have a 4WD and know how to use it.

I'll be hitting I-40 at off hours, like 4AM or mid-afternoon or late evening, assume that there won't be congestion issues at that time, right?

I love the air up there.

If it sounds dicey I'll be looking at the east side of Tramway, but it's so tightly built there that I'm not sure I'll be very happy. That was an area suggested as safe by the same manager.

Also, if anyone knows of rental resources for the areas I'm looking in I'd be interested to hear about it. I've been burning lots of fossil fuels looking, but I don't know anyone or anything here.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 03:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,564,273 times
For rentals, go to Rent.com and enter your desired zip codes. They have a wealth of listings. Two coworkers commute from the East Hills and haven't complained, but it isn't for those who prefer a short commute with mild traffic.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 PM

361 posts, read 946,189 times
When you say the "East Hills"? Do you mean the East Mountains? If so, It does get a little bad getting through the canyon in the winter, but I would venture a guess that that only happens about twice a year.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks for thoughts, I did hear that the pass is closed sometimes, but locals are telling me that they will let you on 66 if you live there and need to get home.

I'd love to find a warmer place that still has the quiet and isolation, but having driven around Cedar Crest seems to be the closest. I'll be commuting at odd hours, never during the rush, so the weather is the only concern.

Went out to Corrales yesterday, nice and warm, but even a country house was in a development, and the traffic during off-hours was still busy.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,564,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
When you say the "East Hills"? Do you mean the East Mountains? If so, It does get a little bad getting through the canyon in the winter, but I would venture a guess that that only happens about twice a year.
Yeah, I had to wonder if he was talking about the Heights and that area, too. I figured I-40 meant coming around the mountain from that junction with NM-14 or near it.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Hey, I'm not hip to the geographic lingo yet, only been here for four days. Wanted to thank the posters here for the info they've shared over the years, I learned a lot in a hurry here. Look forward to meeting some of you once my feet are planted.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 AM

20 posts, read 61,216 times
Question Thoughts on East Mountains - Tijeras, Cedar Crest, Edgewood

Quote:
Edgewood is a town in Santa Fe County, New Mexico, United States. It is part of the Santa Fe, New Mexico Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Tijeras is a village in Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States. It is part of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Cedar Crest is a census-designated place (CDP) in Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States. It is part of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area.

I'm just continuing my research on areas in ABQ before a possible move this summer. Thanks to all the great posts I've read here on C-D, I have a pretty good handle on metro Albuquerque neighborhoods, traffic, "vibe", restaurants, shopping, etc. but I'm still a bit hazy on the East Mountains.

To help narrow things down, we are looking to live 20-30 minutes from KAFB in a quieter neighborhood with a housing price range of $275k to $350k. We don't have any kids, so I'm not super worried about school districts. I like the idea of having more acreage in the East Mountain area, but I'm concerned about a few things:
1. What's the well-water quality like?
2. How bad do the feeder roads get in the winter?
3. Are most homes on unpaved roads?
4. Is there easily accessible shopping or do I have to plan on going into ABQ for groceries?
5. What are emergency services like (fire, police, emt)?
6. Can you name any neighborhoods in the Tijeras, Cedar Crest or Edgewood area that are currently being developed or have been completed in the last 5 years or so?
Thanks in advance for any insights you might have!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-05-2013 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM

3,556 posts, read 8,822,267 times
1. What's the well-water quality like?

It's fine. Although you may be on municipal water depending on location.

2. How bad do the feeder roads get in the winter?

Some get very bad, most are kept in good condition. If you live on a dirt road and it rains/snows... mud happens.
3. Are most homes on unpaved roads?

The main arteries are mostly paved, most home roads are not paved.

4. Is there easily accessible shopping or do I have to plan on going into ABQ for groceries?

Smith's, Walgreens, John Brooks (it it still there?) and China-Mart are out there.

5. What are emergency services like (fire, police, emt)?

Fine. There's going to be a longer wait than living in ABQ.

6. Can you name any neighborhoods in the Tijeras, Cedar Crest or Edgewood area that are currently being developed or have been completed in the last 5 years or so?

I can't, but I'm sure there are a few.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,577,341 times
I actually just moved back to TN from Edgewood, so I guess i'm qualified to answer :0)

As far as water, we were on municipal, as is much of Edgewood due to problems with wells going dry in certain areas. We did have well water in Stanley, right outside Moriarty to the north and it was okay for bathing, killed dishwashers and washing machines and left a film on the coffee.

Other than a few main roads, most are dirt and while maintained, are still usually pretty rough. In the winter, they are only plowed if the neighborhood has made arrangements While I understand this winter was worse than usual, it started snowing the week of Halloween and we averaged at least one snow a week from then until we left on Valentine's day. I believe they've had a few more snows since we left. There was only one day in a 30 day span of school days preceding our leaving that I didn't have to use four wheel drive to get the kids to school and that was the Friday before Valentine's Day.

For shopping, there is Family Dollar, Dollar General, Smiths (Kroger), WalMart and in Moriarty, Alco.

Never used emergency services, so I can't comment there. Nor can I comment on recently developed neighborhoods. We lived in a neighborhood in the Square H road area- nice houses with decent prices as well. As far as acreage, our house was 213,000 and came with 2.5 acres, for reference.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,165,797 times
East Mountains will be more than a 30 minute drive to the base.

Try Four Hills, right on the edge of town, one road in, one road out so no through traffic. Close to the hiking and riding trails, very very peaceful and homes in your price range.

Less than 2 miles to two big name grocery stores and I-40.

Minimal crime, we have a private security company owned and operated by current Police Detective and patrols by ex & current police, law enforcement and military, response times minutes (I've called twice, once of a snake and once when I thought I had a prowler but it turned out to be them putting my trash cans away for me) both times they arrived around 2 minutes after my call. All for $50 month.

My favorite neighborhood in this area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque