U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 PM

25 posts, read 26,870 times
Default corruption in albuquerque

I'm interested in here what people say about city and state government corruption. I have been lerking trying to learn about Albuquerque. We are in the process of making a decision on making a move to Abq or not. I have visited several times now and feel comforatble with what area to live. The crime seems to be sensationalized. I understand there is crime but I gather that as long as I'm not planning on belonging to a gang or hanging out where they hang out the crime can be avoided. One topic that comes up in disgrutled posts is that your name needs to end in a certain letters to get a job. And they hire people with no exsperience for certan positions if you have the right last name. Does this kind of activity happen and is it out in the open. I don't want to live in a corrupt city. I love current events and don't want to live in a place I'm constantly upset over someone on trial or being accused of protecting low life criminals. Or someone bilking the system. I'd like to hear your comments
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,762,708 times
Justified or not? I'll wait until others weigh in on this thread.

I can say that New Mexico (the state) has a long-standing reputation of being at the top of the list of most corrupt in the country - just below LA. While nepotism has long been endemic, it's the "good ole boy" cliques that have been more of a problem, IMO. Especially in local community govt. Bill Richardson's administration has had its share of nefarious individuals in both elected and appointed positions.

Last edited by jaxart; 06-21-2010 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM

8,564 posts, read 11,810,376 times
When my friends in Texas found out that I was moving to New Mexico, the corruption comment was the one that came up most often.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 PM

2,804 posts, read 4,251,795 times
I'd say on average, Albuquerque is less corrupt than New Mexico in general.

The state and local judiciary do leave a little bit to be desired in terms of funding and competence, but with a few exceptions, it's generally not because of corruption.

Most of the red-handed public officials caught in the act of embezzlement, etc. tend to be from smaller communities where they aren't watched as closely. Albuquerque has gotten the occasional high-profile corruption case (courthouse scandal comes to mind) but in general it tends to be more transparent than the state at large, considering the larger number of govt. officials and departments here.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:12 PM

25 posts, read 26,870 times
jaxart

Your journalist score is interesting I'm suprised that florida and nevada are tied at 22nd are these journalist from respective states. I'm normally not a critic those two state stand out in my mind to be in top 10 anyway.

Cathy
did you move to New Mexico have you become frustrated with the corruption?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM

17,160 posts, read 17,897,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclenut View Post
One topic that comes up in disgrutled posts is that your name needs to end in a certain letters to get a job. And they hire people with no exsperience for certan positions if you have the right last name. Does this kind of activity happen and is it out in the open.
I'm sure it happens, guess what it happens everywhere. Is it bad here? I don't think so. I have seen some places where it is much worse.

But if you want to work some place where being fluent in Spanish is a requirement, then most likely your name may need certain letters in it.

Ricardo Ramon Sanchez

Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 PM

8,564 posts, read 11,810,376 times
Yes, I moved to NM almost 3 years ago.

I guess I'm a little frustrated in that the corruption/cronyism/good ole boy stuff isn't going to change much.

However, having said that, Texas is no saint in the cronyism/good ole boy departments, though I don't think the level of corruption there is as bad as it is in NM.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,764,049 times
Part of the problem is that many of the people directly involved or who are in contact with
those involved do not really see corruption, old-boy-ism or nepotism as reallt being wrong.

"You scratch my back, I scratch yours and we all get along"...

These same people see embezzlement as a crime, but steering over-priced contracts to
friends as being OK. That view is not going to change overnight...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM

4,580 posts, read 9,422,356 times
well it is corrupt, there have been many cases over the past couple of years coming out of the state, but of course those are just the ones that get caught, this stuff has been going on forever in NM, NM is so small and alot of Hispanics got lots of family members, it just goes down the line, hooking people up with jobs, and people do get jobs over those who are more qualified, its the good ol boy system.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM

23 posts, read 5,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclenut View Post
I'm interested in here what people say about city and state government corruption. I have been lerking trying to learn about Albuquerque. We are in the process of making a decision on making a move to Abq or not. I have visited several times now and feel comforatble with what area to live. The crime seems to be sensationalized. I understand there is crime but I gather that as long as I'm not planning on belonging to a gang or hanging out where they hang out the crime can be avoided. One topic that comes up in disgrutled posts is that your name needs to end in a certain letters to get a job. And they hire people with no exsperience for certan positions if you have the right last name. Does this kind of activity happen and is it out in the open. I don't want to live in a corrupt city. I love current events and don't want to live in a place I'm constantly upset over someone on trial or being accused of protecting low life criminals. Or someone bilking the system. I'd like to hear your comments
Yep, yep, yep.

I lived in Delaware (and that area, too, can be a little on the shady side - you know someone you get in), Virginia, Minnesota and New Mexico. By far, New Mexico is the worst. You want some proof about the surname theory - just do an inquiry into the government offices and see whose last names are in the jobs. Same with private industry - just take a look at the last names of those in the paper.

I've seen people get jobs and then the businesses are out tons of money due to embezzlement. Don't believe the last name and family thing? Well, do some research about the goings on with Bernalillo County - Metro Detention Center and the Detox Center. Quite a few family members work together at the Detention Center (was recently reported) and that kid at the Detox Center got the job because his father runs it. He had a record from Florida and at the same time, it was discovered he was supposedly in treatment in California, then had to answer to a judge how he was in both states at the same time. The treatment from Calif was a fabrication, yet he got the job at the detox center - to the tune of about $30,000/year. Hell, the guy probably didn't even graduate from high school. So, he was transferred for the time being to the Parks Department, still working, getting paid, getting a paycheck. I would have liked that check.

I left New Mexico recently since I just couldn't take it anymore - reading the stuff in the paper all the time about corruption, who commits the crimes and the surnames are from one group, trying to get a hamburger from Blakes and also use the bathroom (three hours prior to closing) yet finding out the bathrooms are "closed." So the manager allows me to use it. Closed? Yea, they cleaned them and didn't want to have to do them again before they really closed. I got tired of wanting a cup of coffee from Hastings Cafe or similar places, several hours prior to closing, and being told they don't make it after 7:30 or so. What bull crap. Just no work ethic in the area. Filthy everywhere. Speed bumps in parking lots since the culture is to speed everywhere.

I guess some would say don't read the newspapers, but I, too, like to keep up with current events. Crime is everywhere, but when one group of people are doing most of it and getting the jobs, without being qualified, it's better to live elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque