U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM

8,627 posts, read 11,852,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Y-A-A-A-A-W-N.................

Looks like she woke up from whatever cave she dwells in.
If she hates it so much there, I can't imagine why she stays.

I guess some people just like to bash/putdown.

Gets OLD.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,471 times
Unhappy Response regarding Spirit84 message about Alb

I just want to comment on the message posted by Spirit84. I will be relocating to Alb. by mid-Aug. and (btw thanks to those 3 peopel who answered my previous post - Mortimer, Mandis' Mom and Allooo66). Before I decided to move, I visited Alb. at least 3 times in the past 3 years, for at least a couple of days, and I have to agree with his view on public transportation:

it has horrible transportation services,no tourist can come and enjoy a nice vacation...you gotto have your own car!

I don't know what experience he had but my experiences were really bad. To begin with once you get on the bus ALL bus driver's expect you to know the 1. bus rate, 2. all about transfers and of course 3. were exactly you are going - you CAN NOT ask them questions about a location because they "don't know". All the times I visited I had to use the buses and I basically had to deal with really bad attitudes from bus driver's. Bus driver's were really rude when I asked them simple questions and I just had this feeling, like Spirit84 said, they are not used to tourists; they just expected me to know things.

And also yes most of the people that I meet NEVER smiled.

plus the people aren't friendly.

I KNOW that there are friendly people out there; it just seems I had to meet all the 'unfriendly' ones. I was really happy when I found someone who was nice; I met four people who were able to talk to me and at least offer some 'tourist' info - and two worked at the hotel where I stayed.

STILL I have high hopes and like I said before a lot of reasons to relocate; I find there is so much to do and see. Then there is also Santa Fe, so close by that offers so much to do too.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,094,837 times
I would agree that friendly city bus drivers are a rare commodity, but I think that's pretty true anywhere. Some are downright rude, but others are really friendly. I was on an ABQ city bus one time when the driver had the whole bus singing songs (a group of school kids had just gotten on). It really made my day.

Albuquerque is definitely not tourist-oriented, except around Old Town and during Balloon Fiesta. Most bus drivers are not used to dealing with tourists.

Maybe your driver was having a bad day. Happens to the best of us. Sometimes I have a bad day. Sometimes I have a really bad day. And occasionally a really, really, REALLY bad day. Maybe you do, too.

I'm sure you will meet lots more friendly folks after you move here. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,399,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Y-A-A-A-A-W-N.................

Looks like she woke up from whatever cave she dwells in.

It's the rain. Runs down in the cave and well, ya ever heard the phrase 'if it rained hard she'd drown'?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
ya ever heard the phrase 'if it rained hard she'd drown'?
Nope, but it sure fits...

Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,270,641 times
[SIZE=3]Definitely time for her to leave ASAP! Please do so and don't ever look back! ABQ is just fine and dandy.[/SIZE]

Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 AM

437 posts, read 598,611 times
Using public transportation is good for SOME people who live in ABQ. If you live in the west side and work in the east side, or go to UNM, or conduct business downtown (jury duty), transportation WORKS GREAT for you. If you live in a newer South West community, and start work at 9 am on the west side, forget it. Of course, that's just one example, but I'm sure there are a lot of other examples like this.

As for being a tourist without a car.... Can't comment there. I've traveled all over quite a considerable portion of the United States. If I'm not making my way from State A to State B on a train or bus, I drive. I would NEVER, EVER depend on public transportation 100% in a strange city. I'm a female and don't like the prospect of "roughing" it, or "thumbing" it if I need to get moving.

Sure, in Dallas I used the DART a couple of times. I really liked it too. But I was there for a week and when I arrived, I RENTED a car. If I didn't have the money to rent a car, I would have taken my own. If I couldn't afford to take a car at all, I wouldn't have gone. But that's just me. My belief is that, if you travel without a car to unfamiliar places, sooner or later you're going to learn an unwanted lesson.

Oh yeah, as for rude people, I've met all kinds here. I must say, I think a good number of people here don't know how to park their vehicle. They park all over or on top of the lines. They park all crooked in a space. And, most terribly, you got these jerks who think the disabled "loading zone" next to a disabled parking space is like, their personal parking spot for their half ton. Never mind the fact they look like wannabe cage fighters and do not have the least bit of trouble walking around. It's a lost cause. They're stupid.

Good luck. Really.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM

731 posts, read 1,042,178 times
I've never taken a trip without either driving and taking my own car or renting one. Thinking you can rely on public transportation on a vacation is ridiculous. You want to go where you want to go and do what you want to do without trying to figure out bus schedules, etc. I use public transportation when I get there if I can, but still have to have a vehicle.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,442,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
Using public transportation is good for SOME people who live in ABQ. If you live in the west side and work in the east side, or go to UNM, or conduct business downtown (jury duty), transportation WORKS GREAT for you. If you live in a newer South West community, and start work at 9 am on the west side, forget it. Of course, that's just one example, but I'm sure there are a lot of other examples like this.

As for being a tourist without a car.... Can't comment there. I've traveled all over quite a considerable portion of the United States. If I'm not making my way from State A to State B on a train or bus, I drive. I would NEVER, EVER depend on public transportation 100% in a strange city. I'm a female and don't like the prospect of "roughing" it, or "thumbing" it if I need to get moving.

Sure, in Dallas I used the DART a couple of times. I really liked it too. But I was there for a week and when I arrived, I RENTED a car. If I didn't have the money to rent a car, I would have taken my own. If I couldn't afford to take a car at all, I wouldn't have gone. But that's just me. My belief is that, if you travel without a car to unfamiliar places, sooner or later you're going to learn an unwanted lesson.

Oh yeah, as for rude people, I've met all kinds here. I must say, I think a good number of people here don't know how to park their vehicle. They park all over or on top of the lines. They park all crooked in a space. And, most terribly, you got these jerks who think the disabled "loading zone" next to a disabled parking space is like, their personal parking spot for their half ton. Never mind the fact they look like wannabe cage fighters and do not have the least bit of trouble walking around. It's a lost cause. They're stupid.

Good luck. Really.
I know, whats up with the wannabe cage fighter look, thats all I saw in ABQ was those Tap Out fighter shirts,and faux hawks, everyone thinks they are a fighter. I havent seen that yet in another city, but ABQ has a bad case of it.

I have only once gone to a city without a car, I flew into Denver, took a bus to my downtown hotel, the hotel offered a shuttle to anywhere in downtown, they would drop me off and pick me up when I was ready, downtown Denver has alot to keep you busy. I went to the Mint, the 16th st mall, took the lightrail to the Buckhorn Exchange and attended a Denver Nuiggets game that night. I missed my bus that next day and had to take a taxi to the airport, and that was expensive.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM
JBM

533 posts, read 549,584 times
ABQ IS is a good town. Transit isn't the best, but it works. I use the bus quite a bit and it gets from A to B pretty well. It's not made for tourists, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque