U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2007, 06:00 PM
 
Location: New York
371 posts, read 1,332,440 times
Reputation: 243

Advertisements

Does anyone know any reason the information technology sector seems to be slowing down on the hiring? Is there any information to the contrary or is anyone privy as to when this may change? We read that Albuquerque was the next "Sun City." Husband really needs a job. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2007, 06:57 PM
_yb
 
Location: Central New Mexico
1,135 posts, read 3,452,565 times
Reputation: 697
Layoffs:

Cardinal health:>100
Intel:>1000
Sandia Labs>900

There are others laying off. But this is all I can remember at this time.
They have been having job fairs for eclipse aviation. One of my freinds went to it and he said there was about 400 people their. Lots of folks from intel. He said a bunch of folks at intel were asking the eclipse hr people how they were going to make it leaving a 30+ dollar an hour job to a 12.50 dollar an hour job. He declined to progress with the job due to the amount of hoops he had to jump trough and the out of pocket expense.


I wish you all the best with the search and I will keep my eyes peeled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2007, 10:03 PM
 
Location: New York
371 posts, read 1,332,440 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Layoffs:

Cardinal health:>100
Intel:>1000
Sandia Labs>900

There are others laying off. But this is all I can remember at this time.
They have been having job fairs for eclipse aviation. One of my freinds went to it and he said there was about 400 people their. Lots of folks from intel. He said a bunch of folks at intel were asking the eclipse hr people how they were going to make it leaving a 30+ dollar an hour job to a 12.50 dollar an hour job. He declined to progress with the job due to the amount of hoops he had to jump trough and the out of pocket expense.


I wish you all the best with the search and I will keep my eyes peeled.
OMG! YB - I had no idea! I knew Intel layed off, but we had no clue about the others. Do we have any idea as to why? Is this not a business friendly area because we were led to believe differently? Maybe its the whole country?? I am really scared now, but I definitely appreciate the fact you will keep your eyes peeled for us. Do you have any suggestions on what he might do in order to get his foot in the door? It seems so many of the jobs want that security clearance (obviously considering where we are), but he can't get it unless hired and they're choosing those who already have it. We are more than a little frustrated. Thanks again for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 PM
_yb
 
Location: Central New Mexico
1,135 posts, read 3,452,565 times
Reputation: 697
Actually NM is very business friendly. The state has been giving companys welfare checks and other tax breaks to relocate here. Keep your heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2007, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Abu Al-Qurq
2,805 posts, read 4,414,923 times
Reputation: 1639
You take one look at the unemployment rate, and those layoffs mean very little. It's an employee's market right now, and as an employer, I don't like it. Finding and retaining quality talent at a price my business model will allow has been very difficult.

Many Sandia employees will tell you that at least that many workers need to leave (company is full of gold bricks). Unfortunately, those are probably not going to be the ones laid off. The bright side is that private companies can't fill clearanced positions fast enough.

Heard a rumor that Philips, who jettisoned a good number of workers when they closed their plant here a few years back, had moved the operation to China, and have now decided to move the operation back due to poor worker quality (though not necessarily back to here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2007, 09:59 PM
 
Location: New York
371 posts, read 1,332,440 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
You take one look at the unemployment rate, and those layoffs mean very little. It's an employee's market right now, and as an employer, I don't like it. Finding and retaining quality talent at a price my business model will allow has been very difficult.

Many Sandia employees will tell you that at least that many workers need to leave (company is full of gold bricks). Unfortunately, those are probably not going to be the ones laid off. The bright side is that private companies can't fill clearanced positions fast enough.

Heard a rumor that Philips, who jettisoned a good number of workers when they closed their plant here a few years back, had moved the operation to China, and have now decided to move the operation back due to poor worker quality (though not necessarily back to here).


Hi Zoldberg - I just have a quick couple of questions/comments. Is your business in the technology field and if not, what field is it? My husband is looking for a Windows Network Admin job and they were very plentiful when we were out here in April this year. Since we've moved here we have seen very little except those that are looking for people with the existing security clearances. Placement firms he's consulted with have said that businesses have stopped all hiring recently waiting for the new quarter and a "look see" attitude. We know things will eventually pick up, but we just don't know when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Abu Al-Qurq
2,805 posts, read 4,414,923 times
Reputation: 1639
Hello Home,

I own a manufacturing business, and we don't use windows-based networks (way too small to need a full- or part-time admin in any case).

That clearance sure does open a bunch of doors. I personally would like to see the government change its approach to clearances. If I qualify for a position, except I don't have a clearance, and the positions aren't getting filled due to lack of clearanced candidates, individuals should be able to "buy" that clearance much like one would buy a passport. Even at $2000, the clearance would pay for itself in months for the job-seeker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 03:17 PM
 
Location: New York
371 posts, read 1,332,440 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Hello Home,

I own a manufacturing business, and we don't use windows-based networks (way too small to need a full- or part-time admin in any case).

That clearance sure does open a bunch of doors. I personally would like to see the government change its approach to clearances. If I qualify for a position, except I don't have a clearance, and the positions aren't getting filled due to lack of clearanced candidates, individuals should be able to "buy" that clearance much like one would buy a passport. Even at $2000, the clearance would pay for itself in months for the job-seeker.
I like the idea of being able to obtain the clearance ourself. That is a huge obstacle right now and puts a lot of candidates ahead of my husband unfortunately. Thanks for your reply Zoidberg. I really appreciate you taking the time. We'll keep looking. Haven't given up yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM
LLD
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
654 posts, read 2,167,512 times
Reputation: 177
Sandia is laying off 900? I hadn't heard that and it doesn't quite make sense either. One of the things predicted for Sandia is that in another 10-15 years there is going to be this huge shortage when a ton of people retire. I could see spot layoffs because of funding changes etc..... but 900? Wow... I'll have to email my colleague at Sandia and ask what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
 
Location: New York
371 posts, read 1,332,440 times
Reputation: 243
KOB.com - Memo warns of massive layoffs at*Sandia Labs

LLD - Here's a link to the info on Sandia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top