Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:44 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmagyar View Post
Does any one know of any out of state chain restaurants coming to Albuquerque? We could really use a Chipotle and a Panera here. Last I checked neither of these chains are coming to town. It's a shame because at least Panera would clean house here.

Also, does any one know what's being built in front of Lowes on Paseo del Norte by I25?

When I visited ABQ this past year I actually looked for Panera Bread. Most people told me they never heard of it or it wasn't in ABQ. I thought it strange there wasn't at least one in the area. I later sent Panera an email about why a Metro the size of ABQ didn't have restaurants.

I actually heard from them and thier reponse. The economy as it is right now isn't conducive to opening new stores in the ABQ market. When the economy improves Panera is always looking for new markets to enter and may consider ABQ. Thank you for your interest in Panera Bread.

So maybe some day you will see Panera they are a nice restaurant. There must be 5 of them in and around Portland now. As for Chipotle we must have 20 and your welcome to all of them. I have no idea what people see in that restaurant vs others. To each their own I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
And why must every burrito drown in chili.

For the same reason southern Italian dishes are smothered in tomato sauce, French dishes in Bechamel, why the Dutch eat cheese, and the Germans eat sausage and drink beer.

Because that is the traditional, regional style.

Oh, and it is chile, not chili.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM

277 posts, read 682,116 times
It seems like there will always be a market for cheap fast-food (like Taco Bell or McD's) because it will always cater to a certain crowd... for a Chipotle or Panera, I'm not so sure. Panera, I could kind of see, but Chipotle in particular in this area... to spend upwards of $5 on a burrito, I'd rather get the "real" thing, or as close to it as possible. Kind of the same reason if I went to Italy, I'd maybe pay a dollar (or euro) or two for a quick slice of pizza, but if I want a little nicer Italian restaurant, I'd pick a more authentic one in Italy over Olive Garden for the $10-15.

Of course, that is just me all new and excited about my new digs. I normally happen to really enjoy places like Pizza Hut, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, etc...

Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 PM

581 posts, read 1,171,955 times
There's nothing "not real" about a chipotle burrito. Its a different style. They use quality ingredients, probably better than most places.

Just because you live in New Mexico doesn't mean you cant eat another style of burrito.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:22 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
There's nothing "not real" about a chipotle burrito. Its a different style. They use quality ingredients, probably better than most places.

Just because you live in New Mexico doesn't mean you cant eat another style of burrito.
Chipotle burritos are really good. I do have a hard time imagining them doing well here though. It's hard to imagine a Chipotles here the same way it's hard to imagine a bunch of Tex Mex restaurants here. I ate at Chipotles all the time when I lived in Austin, but here, I would take a smothered New Mexican style burrito any day over Chipotles. It's just a matter of personal preference...

Old 08-24-2010, 07:47 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
We could really use a Chipotle and a Panera here.
Read this: The 20 Worst Foods in America: Men's Health.com

Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Read this: Breakfast Burrito Backlash « Eat Well, Live Well, Be Well

Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
That's cool that they specifically talked about New Mexican breakfast burritos! Yeah, it's not the thing to go for if you're aiming to eat healthy. But the alternative they offered....gag! I limit my smothered burrito intake to one per week, but I gotta have it!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
chile is actually very healthy for ya, my grandma is in great health and she eats the stuff all the time, chile gives you longevity.

and Im not a fan of the smothered burrito, Ive never even had one before but I have tried other people's when they order it, I just dont like to eat a burrito with a fork and a soggy tortilla.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
If Pizzeria Uno can open up in New York City, Chipotle can find a place in Albuquerque.

I rarely patronize chains but I'll take a Bay Area style burrito where I can get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque