U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 PM

581 posts, read 1,011,614 times

Advertisements

blasphemy! Just got back from seattle and enjoyed a delicious burrito bowl. Chicken, rice, cilantro, black beans, pico de gallo, corn salsa, tomatillo salsa, and cheese. perfect.

Would love one in ABQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 PM

28 posts, read 47,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Wow...for those that don't like smothered burritos...just order the chile on the side!
I've tried. Here's my problem: a lot of the places here with "amazing" burritos have really awful burritos. They layer on the chile so plentifully, that's all you taste, which is the point because it masks an otherwise bland burrito. Frontier, Little Annita's, Sadie's, all guilty of this. All I want is a delicious burrito that doesn't require chile to be "good" (because I'm not a fan), and that's apparently hard to find here.

A co-worker of mine told me to go try Pro's Ranch but we'll see.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:01 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,231,682 times
Try Ruben's Grill on Candelaria..

Here's Gil's review which I think is a bit enthusiastic, but we've eaten there a number of times
and really enjoyed the burritos. However, as you can see from the reader comments, not
everyone is of the same opinion..

As Gil says..

"As a gastronome, it’s easy to point out a restaurant’s blemishes–the glass is half empty approach.
Ruben’s Grill is the type of restaurant you love warts and all. The many things it does well outweigh
the few things about which complaints are usually rendered."

Gil's Thrilling (And Filling) Blog » Ruben’s Grill – Albuquerque, New Mexico

Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks! The pictures on there look very promising. Do you know if they take credit/debit cards?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEABttn View Post
Thanks! The pictures on there look very promising. Do you know if they take credit/debit cards?
I don't know, but if you can't afford to pay cash at a small place like this, you probably
shouldn't be going out at all..

Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I don't know, but if you can't afford to pay cash at a small place like this, you probably
shouldn't be going out at all..
I can afford it, I just don't carry cash. I'm from the cashless generation. Direct deposit from my employer, numbers in my online statement go up, I make the numbers go down by swiping my Visa debit card at places. Someone hands me a $20 and I think "Crap, now I have to go to the bank."

Old 09-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEABttn View Post
I can afford it, I just don't carry cash. I'm from the cashless generation. Direct deposit from my employer, numbers in my online statement go up, I make the numbers go down by swiping my Visa debit card at places. Someone hands me a $20 and I think "Crap, now I have to go to the bank."
The more time you spend in the Southwest, the more you'll find that's a problem.

When you charge a $20 meal, it costs the shop owner at least $1, possibly more and
he may not get access to your payment for at least one billing cycle. More and more
small, family-owned businesses are dropping credit cards and for good reason.

I'd guess that insisting on using credit cards is one reason why you haven't found really
good food; you literally can't afford to eat in the small establishments where the
best food is.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM

281 posts, read 559,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I'd guess that insisting on using credit cards is one reason why you haven't found really good food; you literally can't afford to eat in the small establishments where the best food is.
Is that how you meant to say that? I'd draw a significant distinction between "not having cash" and "not being able to afford."

I don't get out for good food much as a factor of being a single Dad to a toddler, not as a factor of cost, and in all honesty, I find the price of eating out in this city to be wonderfully low compared to the places I'm familiar with.

Food decisions, however, are often spur-of-the-moment, and while i have plenty of cash in the bank, I seldom have cash on me. I'm reasonably fastidious about keeping track of where I spend money, and I've noticed a personal tendency to lose track of where cash goes. (Yes, that's a personal failing...)

There, honestly, isn't a restaurant in this town I "can't afford" to eat at at least twice a month, were I so inclined, but there are several I'd have to skip because the process of finding an ATM, predicting the cost of a meal, and paying ATM fees makes it easier to just fall back on whatever my second choice for dining was... another lovely aspect of this town is that wherever you are, there's another good restaurant 5 minutes down the road.

I do get, however, the damage the credit card companies do to small, low margin businesses. These business have to accept, however, that in many expert's views of the future, we are trending (albeit slowly) towards a cashless society.

-Z

Old 09-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Old 09-29-2010, 03:11 PM

I'll stick with "can't afford". If you're standing on the sidewalk looking in and can't pay
for a meal, you "can't afford" to eat there. If that's by choice, more the fool, you...

And yes, I'm part of the generation who developed the back-office business, telecom and
billing systems that were necessary to start society toward at least the potential of
going "cashless" so I'm far better placed than most to understand that shift.

Doesn't change the OP's position though, does it? He can't eat in many establishments
because he chooses to give them the choice of accommodating him at break-even
or even loss levels, or turning him away and servicing someone who allows them to survive.

I use as little cash as I can reasonably get away with because it's convenient for me,
but I'm also prepared to pay cash when I have to without copping an attitude of
entitlement about the "necessity" of small businesses to compromise their own health
to accommodate me or "experts".

You confuse US practices with universal practices.. good luck insisting on being "cashless"
in small towns or outside tourist meccas in the rest of the world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque