Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,096 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, I remember the Florida drivers well. To top it off, Florida is a no-fault state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,330 times
You're right Yukon, it all depends on where you've been driving before. I lived in Phoenix and New York City, and Albuquerque is a piece of cake to drive in. When people say it is bad here, I have a good laugh. Only occasionally have I had tie ups in town, mostly the roads are easy enough to drive on, most parts of the city are easily reached. And road rage is minimal. In some recent polling, Miami, New York, and Phoenix were the worst for road rage, ABQ was nowhere in sight.

But going into the future ABQ is going to have to keep up with the growing population and I don't see many clear signs of forward thinking. We will need more road widening on the freeways and more freeways if we want to avoid congestion. And hopefully an expanded RailRunner train service may lighten things up a bit....

Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 21,453 times
just know this, wal mart isn't the only place in ABQ to shop...jessica alba pointed that out when she was here filming "The Eye"..., but she was wrong. We do have malls. Cottonwood on the west side and Coronado on the East side will offer the basic mall stores...while the new ABQ Uptown offers some more pricey shops.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 PM

429 posts, read 1,476,589 times
Boston, we visited ABQ in May (and will be moving there in August) from Seattle and hit downtown on a weeknight around 5 pm. Traffic was NOTHING compared to what we experience here. Although I think the drivers are a bit crazier.

However, I'm sure I'll acclimate in time and complain about the horrible traffic eventually. LOL

Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 PM

362 posts, read 1,718,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
You guys need to drive in South Florida. Down there, if the car in front of you has their left turn signal on, there's a 50/50 chance they'll go left...they're just as likely to go to the right. If they have the right turn signal on, they usually aren't going anywhere - it's a senior citizen who forgot to turn it off 12 exits back. Then there are the snowbirds, who realize that their exit/street/turn is RIGHT THERE so they cut over 6 lanes of traffic going 65 mph because they just HAVE TO EXIT RIGHT NOW! Torpedoes be damned! When all they have to do is get off at the next exit, cross over, and go back down to their exit. Or the really senior seniors (who shouldn't be driving at all), who hit the gas when they meant to hit the brake and plow through medians, pillars at tollbooths, and packs of bikers on bike trails.

After 6 years of that, I LOVE driving in ABQ.
OMG!!!! Y- I was driving in TPA today and the dude totally came to a complete stop in the right hand lane. Didn't turn. Just stopped and parked in the middle of the street. I couldn't believe it. Really. He was talking to the guy next to him about something or another and pointing out the window to some big trucks parked across the fence. Insane.

Also, I give you props for the Wally-world comment. I truly laughed out loud when I read that. I thought the exact same thing when I braved a supercenter trip on a Sat. I learned that if I just needed a few things, I went to the non-grocery one at Academy & Wyoming or just go to TJ's (which I also avoided on weekends), but if I had to do a big trip, I got there at the crack of dawn, midnight, or after work. I'm not sure who were more dangerous there, people pushing buggies or the traffic in the parking lot.

To the OP, I also agree with the "its all relative" sentiment regarding traffic. I thought traffic in ABQ is much better than Dallas / Fort Worth traffic and Baton Rouge Traffic. However, after being in NM for a year, I found I eventually became annoyed with a 30 min commute that I initially thought was heaven compared to what I dealt with in the DFW metroplex (60+ min each way).

Old 07-09-2008, 09:20 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,709,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky2k View Post
just know this, wal mart isn't the only place in ABQ to shop...jessica alba pointed that out when she was here filming "The Eye"...
I believe this story erroneously always gets credited to Albuquerque. Perhaps even Alba - for whatever it would be worth - accidently noted her comments were directed to Albuquerque. However, she was truly in ALAMOGORDO for those particular experiences when filming her moving - and ALAMO was the town that she was referring to, not ABQ.

Surely ABQ isn't SoCal (thank God), but I am certain even ol' Alba could've found in ABQ itself more shopping opps than the W-M.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,609,664 times
I finally had my first "rush hour" driving experience here in ABQ. I left downtown yesterday at 5:10, made it home (Menaul & Tramway) by 5:45. Came up Menaul and caught almost all the lights, so it took me 35 minutes to make a 15 mile trip. I don't think that was bad at all.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,232 times
Traffic on weekdays from 6am to 9am on west and east bound I-40 is horrible! and in the afternoons 4pm-6pm but mostly going west bound because of new housing.

However I-40 west and east have 4-6 lanes at times so there is no small interstates in albuquerque just mostly smaller lanes on 1-25, everyone thinks there is but there not.

Traffic on 4th and 12th street is getting really bad and sometimes central but not to too often otherwise except for construction delays its fine.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Paseo del norte has also become a problem which is why they will be created a freeway system all along paseo del norte this starts next year.

http://http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p243/BRANDONAC2010/2106469760_363a2616da_o.jpg (broken link)
http://http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p243/BRANDONAC2010/2077798251_935e2f2efc_o.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-10-2008, 01:11 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque