Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 AM

177 posts, read 406,484 times

Advertisements

This can be debated round and round.

Saying there are a lot of people who want a bigger arena isn't enough to get the powers that be to build it bigger. You have to have proof and market studies that show that.

They just did a $700,000 study, and it said 12,500 is the right capacity. My disagreeing is irrelevent. That is what the study said.

Now, if someone wants to go to the city council and ask why the capacity isn't, say, 16,000, they may have an answer. And my guess would be they would say, "The study said 12,500 is the optimal capacity for an arena in Albuquerque at this time, given the market size and economic situation here."

Then what are we going to say? "But we want it to be bigger 'cause the one in Omaha is bigger."

That's not a viable argument.

But maybe a coalition of concerned citizens can ban together and form a group to challenge the study, then convince the mayor and city council to build bigger. I am not being facetious, I think it will take more than just posting here about it.

I am ok with the arena plans. I am ok with a bigger arena.

I am just not getting emotionally invested in either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Well I guess the real question is:

Who the he!? authorized a $700,000 study?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Well I guess the real question is:

Who the he!? authorized a $700,000 study?
THAT is the question of the day!

What's weird is that a couple of years ago a 10,000 seat arena was going to be built at 1st and Central, and Mayor Marty pulled the plug on that when it was realized public money would be needed to construct it. Now, here we are, three years later, and a new study says 12,500.

If we wait two more years, maybe another study will say 15,000!!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
lol!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Fargo,North Dakota(pop.90,000) has a good looking 18,500 seat arena, its used for their university football team,concerts,musicals,and trade shows, it has also hosted concerts like the Rolling Stones,Aerosmith and ACDC will be there in January but not in ABQ. Bon Jovi also played to more than 24,000 in there, could we draw that much?

Anyways it would be cool to have something,I guess 12,500 is better than nothing.

[SIZE=4]FARGODOME[/SIZE]

Last edited by desert sun; 11-03-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Fargo,North Dakota(pop.90,000) has a good looking 18,500 seat arena, its used for their university football team,concerts,musicals,and trade shows, it has also hosted concerts like the Rolling Stones,Aerosmith and ACDC will be there in January but not in ABQ. Bon Jovi also played to more than 24,000 in there, could we draw that much?

Anyways it would be cool to have something,I guess 12,500 is better than nothing.

[SIZE=4]FARGODOME[/SIZE]

Well UNM has a 38,000 seat football stadium. If the university allowed more bands to play there, we could land some really big shows to the football stadium.

I would have to agree with Rob on this, I think that if the market could sustain a bigger center they would do so the first time, afterall that would mean more money for the developers anyway. I have no doubt we could sell 18-20,000 tickets for certain shows, but I am not sure about doing it on a consistent basis.

My arguement would be that the developers and those consulting need to look at the bigger picture. If it were a big show, or sporting event, you have to factor in the entire state's population as well as that of El Paso, Lubbock, Amarillo, and parts of Souther Colorado, and Eastern Arizona. For many of these folks this would be the closest event center, which would push the population in which it can draw from well over the 2,000,000 mark.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Rob, only parts of the study have yet to come out. And the study has only shown that a hotel would be viable with a said arena of that size. Also, I think you might have confused that Albuquerque could support that size arena with that would be the optimal size.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Rob, only parts of the study have yet to come out. And the study has only shown that a hotel would be viable with a said arena of that size. Also, I think you might have confused that Albuquerque could support that size arena with that would be the optimal size.
Are there any studies that show Albuquerque can support a larger arena?

My only reason for asking is that the mayor, city council, and those who fund such things are going to want demographic data for our city to support a larger arena.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martinez View Post
This arena is never gonna happen, I guarantee you all.
Sweet. Who in their right mind would want to live downtown with a giant Arena across the street. Those things belong in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I have noticed recently that a couple of concerts and a comedy show is being held at the convention center downtown, I wonder why all of a sudden they are putting concerts there.
I saw Nirvana play the convention center in 1993.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM

361 posts, read 1,092,580 times
"Sweet. Who in their right mind would want to live downtown with a giant Arena across the street. Those things belong in the middle of nowhere."

I live in Chicago about a block from Wrigley Field and I can tell you that there is a pretty big market for people who want to live near a ball park or stadium - believe me. And there are businesses all over this area that greatly benefit from the stadium being here. This neighborhood is a very densly populated neighborhood too.

I think you all may be slightly underestimating the advantages of having a stadium in a major core of the city.

Some people like being in the middle of a place where things actually happen. For those that don't - let them stay in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque