Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 06:48 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times

Advertisements

The Albuquerque MSA is barely larger than the Omaha-Council Bluffs MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:37 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
The Albuquerque MSA is barely larger than the Omaha-Council Bluffs MSA.
Barley? Hun. we are going to be hitting 900k, We passed Omaha four years ago and left them in the dust... we are the second fastest grwoing city in America. Till this day.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:47 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
I am sorry, but where are the sources???

Old 11-23-2009, 05:53 PM

2008 Census figures:

Albuquerque-Rio Rancho Metropolitan: 845,913
Omaha-Council Bluffs Metropolitan: 837,925

2000 Figures

Albuquerque-Rio Rancho Metropolitan: 729,649
Omaha-Council Bluffs Metropolitan: 767,041

Albuquerque's Change% +15.93%
Omaha's Change% +9.24%

Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,579 times
^I think he's referring to a source to your claim that ABQ is the "second fastest growing city in America." That's a pretty bald claim, especially since no city in the country is growing that fast, and building permits are down to less than 30 per month (signifying ABQ is barely growing right now, if at all). At any rate, no one really knows how fast ABQ or any other city is growing until the 2010 census is released.

Karmathecat mentioned that metropolitan ABQ is barely larger than metro Omaha - it looks like she's correct given the information you posted. It's not as though the faster growth rate is anything to brag about - Omaha's rate is a healthy but more sustainable.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
We don't care about sweet sixteens buddy... we have those all the time in Albuquerque already. About every 5 years.

Its called the PIT! Something Omaha will never have! that's our arena.

I'm proud of Omaha. They needed and deserved it.
Haven't had a regional here in many years and will never have one again at the Pit because of seating requirements. A new arena if it were big enough could host a regional, although most now are in domed stadiums.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 PM

132 posts, read 291,189 times
Bradly, your condescending remarks are embarrassing. Albuquerque is NOT the second fastest growing anything right now. Not sure where you get your information sometimes.

As a ABQ native, I'm proud of the Pit and all but it's nowhere near as flexible as the Qwest Center. The Omaha-CB metro, plus Lincoln has more people and money than us. The Quest Center is now attracting events to the city such as the NCAA tourny which hasn't touched our city in several years and threatened to leave for good if we didn't turn the concrete hole into something resembling modern. What we're getting is an updated two-trick pony (basketball and rodeo(?)) for $60 million.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanabq View Post
Bradly, your condescending remarks are embarrassing. Albuquerque is NOT the second fastest growing anything right now. Not sure where you get your information sometimes.

As a ABQ native, I'm proud of the Pit and all but it's nowhere near as flexible as the Qwest Center. The Omaha-CB metro, plus Lincoln has more people and money than us. The Quest Center is now attracting events to the city such as the NCAA tourny which hasn't touched our city in several years and threatened to leave for good if we didn't turn the concrete hole into something resembling modern. What we're getting is an updated two-trick pony (basketball and rodeo(?)) for $60 million.

well if you throw in Lincoln to Omaha's metro then you have to throw in Santa Fe into ours, ABQ's metro is a little bigger than Omaha's currently but Omaha seems to be more modernized and has more money, I think they have a brighter future than ABQ and Omaha knows how to run a city, its more of a healthy enviroment, I heard last year that Juarez was building this huge soccer arena, how can Juarez pull it off and not ABQ?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
^I think he's referring to a source to your claim that ABQ is the "second fastest growing city in America." That's a pretty bald claim, especially since no city in the country is growing that fast, and building permits are down to less than 30 per month (signifying ABQ is barely growing right now, if at all). At any rate, no one really knows how fast ABQ or any other city is growing until the 2010 census is released.

Karmathecat mentioned that metropolitan ABQ is barely larger than metro Omaha - it looks like she's correct given the information you posted. It's not as though the faster growth rate is anything to brag about - Omaha's rate is a healthy but more sustainable.
Your just a joke. Maybe you just need to study you're stuff bud. Serious. As if you have a clue. I work in planning you don't. I went to school for 6 years in this you did not. I'd rather go with what I have to say. Infact I was so right, I had one of the highest paying jobs in the city government in Las Vegas...

Yes we know permits are down. Our growth in percentage, is the second highest in the NATION. Believe me if I could share the docs with you I would, i'd give you every last fact. Your the one with the bald claim, whom would believe you?

Leave it to someone far more educated than you in this subject... don't make yourself the fool.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanabq View Post

Here are the FACTS.

Albuquerque Metro 853,775 as of july 2008 2000-2007 14.3% change
Omaha Metro 839,927 as of july 2008 2000-2007 7.9% change

Estimated population 2020
Albuquerque Metro 1,088,913 48.82% change
Omaha Metro 969,241 26.02% change

Average Income
Albuquerque $44,404
Omaha $44,726

Income per Capita
Albuquerque $24,239
Omaha $24,252

So bottom line Albuquerque IS larger, and growing faster than Omaha.
As for money.......Omaha doesn't have more $$$ like you are saying.

The PIT .....WILL host the NCAA regionals again in 2012 or 2013 not sure which year, however it was mentioned about 4 months ago.
The main difference between the Qwest Arena and the PIT is the PIT is a basketball only Arena, and the Qwest Center is a multi-purpose Arena. Which is more viable for different attractions.

Here are some links.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

http://proximityone.com/metros.htm

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque