Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 PM

91 posts, read 141,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
First off, yes, zoidberg likes to....

Moderator cut: No need to quote an entire paragraph unless you really need to

....influence folks.
Yawn.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-15-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,041,293 times
That was such an amazing response to a well thought out post.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,034,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevationnation View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
.... argue .... argue ... argue ...
Wow, you love to argue. ... .
Yes he does, but more importantly, he knows how to use his editor.

He wields it like a finely-honed sword.

This, above all, is his strongest, er, .... strength.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 PM

91 posts, read 141,663 times
NMHacker, I try. I feel asleep reading all of it. I can't help it.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
NMHacker, I try. I feel asleep reading all of it. I can't help it.
I tried that excuse in college, but it didn't work.

Later on, I grew up.

The truth is that rwjoyak simply made points that you were incapable of
answering intelligently and had you tried, your head might have exploded.

Last edited by mortimer; 10-16-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 03:04 PM

295 posts, read 589,866 times
Quote:
People only see building an arena and money. What they don't see is the increase in construction jobs, increase in jobs at the facility for the events it holds, the increase in retail sales near the site, etc. People seem to think this is ABQ of 1950. We are out of land, and given that we grew almost 100,000 people in the last census in the city alone we have to build up. Uptown is full. No other areas will allow a build up. There are a few pockets here and there and Mesa Del Sol. After that? Even a city planner said they will have no choice but to build up downtown. So with that said, yes an arena is a good investment if done correctly.
Are you kidding me. Albuquerque will remain a suburban city, till we are both gone. And probably after our bones become dust. The city will expand out west even further, this will happen slowly, but it will be the direction Albuquerque takes. Westland owns all the land up to the indian reservations. Room is what we have, Albuquerque won't become that 'urban' place I want it to be, in my lifetime anyway...

Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
Albuquerque won't become that 'urban' place I want it to be, ...
I wonder why people who want an urban place don't just move to one?

Maybe it is because the cons outweigh the pros.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM

295 posts, read 589,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I wonder why people who want an urban place don't just move to one?

Maybe it is because the cons outweigh the pros.
I like Suburbs, thats why I live on the NW. Do I wish Albuquerque was a little more urban? yes, but I will settle for what I got.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,093,731 times
I *might* vote for an arena in some form, or some type of civic development, but I am not convinced. I keep swinging from "anti" arena to "pro" arena. I see both sides. But I doubt simply constructing an arena downtown will turn Downtown ABQ into Montréal or DC or Boston or somewhere distinctly "urban." Personally, I'd like more housing and retail and things of that sort, maybe a less schwanky and larger-scale version of Nob Hill? It all seems silly to discuss when from what I understand this is no longer on the table (at least for now) and wasn't it very unpopular with our city (something like 70% contra the project)?

I've 'heard' there may be a new grocery store locating to the area though that remains to be seen. These smaller developments I sense will do more direct good to the area than a full-scale arena. We'll see what happens but I wouldn't hold my breath for such a thing. I'd love to be somewhere more urban, but that's why I'm hoping to work in Montréal after my degree is in hand, for now I am perfectly happy and content with ABQ, though I certainly welcome new developments and ideas. One thing that bothers me about the arena debate is that those that fight most vociferously for the project seem to think it will be the rebirth of downtown and all its maladies will cease to exist with its construction without also paying attention to the need for an actual base of people down there, improvements to safety, more 'amenities...' If we paid for an arena, how much money would that cost in total and would that large sum detract from improving the rest of the city as a whole? Would we have less development and improvement elsewhere? I get excited when I see medians being landscaped or the freeway being beautified, would we lose these nice things if we chose an arena instead? In effect I suppose there's more ways to approach improving downtown than just a giant arena (some of which in our fair country are actually eye-sores) and the way that such a chunk of change would effect us needs to be evaluated more thoroughly. That's my current 2¢ on my ever-changing view on the matter.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 AM

177 posts, read 405,108 times
Well, here we are, June 2013 and Albuquerque is nowhere near getting a new arena.

Omaha has the 17,500 seat CenturyLink Center, and down the road, they are getting ready to open a new 15,500 seat arena in Lincoln, NE.

Let's see: Albuquerque has the 11,000 horse barn Tingley Coliseum, built in the mid 50s. The once mighty 18,000 seat Pit is now a 15,000 seat 47 year old gym (not an arena in the modern sense), and Las Cruces has the dated 12,500 seat Pan American Center.

Wichita, KS has a new 15,000 seat arena, Fresno, CA has a 15,500 seat state of the art arena.

Tulsa, OK has the fairly new 18,000 seat BOK Center.

Des Moines, IA has a 15,000 state of the art arena.

I guess Albuquerque belongs to a pretty "elite" group of cities who are "too smart" to fall for that old trick of building a nice arena for citizens to enjoy sports, concerts, and other large scale entertainment, and to help attract major business to the area and compete with those cities listed above.

If our goal it to be El Paso, we are getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque