Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 37,900 times

Advertisements

Hi to All,

Please help! My husband has received a promotion at work & we will be relocating to NM. His office is located in the ABQ area zip is 87110.

We're are trying to figure out the best area to live and the following are of the utmost importance in our consideration:

1.) Top-Rated Schools (Elementary, Middle, High School)
2.) Family Oriented Neighborhood
3.) Commute Time (Prefer to be within 20 mi of the office w/ light-mod traffic)
4.) Looking for a nice area to raise our children
5.) Looking for newer home (Between 1-7 years old)
6.) If anyone has any reccomendations for Hospitals, Pediatricians, Dentists & Orthodontists we'd love to hear about it.
7.) Any reccomendations for Non-Denominational Christian Churches?
8.) Close to shopping

We have heard that the NE Heights area is a good place. We did have a chance to drive out to Rio Rancho while we were in town. We drove around the Cabezon neighborhoods. I think that we're looking for a home with a bit more of a yard and not so cluttered together. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 04:34 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,486 times
There are plenty of areas around ABQ that should fit all or most of your criteria. But before I make a recommendation: what price range are you looking at? If your budget is limited, you may have a harder time finding what you're looking for in the NE Heights.

Chap

Old 06-30-2007, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times
My neighborhood is great, and is near Cottonwood Mall, churches, good schools, lovely views of the Sandia Mountains, and lots of friendly people. You are going to love this climate and the hospitality. Here's a link to my neighborhood. Relocate

It's close to Paseo del Norte and Coors. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Last edited by knollsnews; 06-30-2007 at 11:41 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 03:04 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,875 times
Default 87110

I live in the 87110 zip now, pretty much grew up here too. You are unlikely to find a new house in this zip, the area was pretty much completely built up by the late 60's and early 70's. There are a lot of very nice houses here however, and many of them have been remodeled several times since then. What you will find in the NE heights thats almost totally lacking on the W. side is mature landscaping, tall trees, and any sort of shade. The size of the average lot is also typically much larger on the E. side, and many houses there have usefull backyards. There is a veritable sea of almost identical "McMansions" on barren, postage-stamp size lots throughout the west side and particulary in Rio Rancho. If you want green and trees on the W. side, you're typically out of luck unless you are considering one of the older areas like Paradise Hills or Corralles.

If you want top rated schools, you are in the wrong state and the wrong city. La Cueva is generally acknowledged to be the best high school in the city, and the middle and elementary schools are a patchwork of OK and...not so much. If you have the money and the inclination there are several excellent private schools up to and including the Albuquerque Academy.

Commute-wise, if you want around 20 minutes and you are working in 87110 you can completely rule out the W. side, there are not even close to enough bridges over the Rio Grande and no improvement is in the works. If you commute well off the peak hours, 20 minutes is feasable. Check the archives for numerous threads on this issue.

If you have young kids, there are lots of parks with big trees....again...on the E. side. The W. side parks are few and far between, and tend towards flat expanses of baked grass and play equipments that'll be too hot to touch through most of the summer unless you go early or late. The ABQ BioPark now encompasses the Zoo, the Aquarium, and the Botannical Gardens and there is a yearly family pass for purchase at a fairly good price. I can wholeheartedly recommend all of them, they are a considerable credit to the city. There is also an Explora science discover center and the Natural History museam, both nice facilities but they have their own separate memberships. All five of those facilities are...again...on the E. side, but near the river and Old Town so they are relatively accessable to the W. siders as well. The city also runs Tingley Beach, the local stocked fishing lake and paddleboat pond. It's much better than it used to be, but not up to the standards of the other facilities discussed earlier. There are a number of public pools but little if any shade except for the indoor high school pools and the West Side Pool near W. Mesa High School which has a large indoor kids pool with lots of water features for the little guys and a couple of small water slides for swimmers. It also has an outdoor pool and an olympic sized indoor lap pool, overall a very nice facility (with sometimes frustrating open hours) and just off Coors, south of I-40.

Shopping, all over the place. The malls are infested with gangbangers and wanna-bes and various others of their ilk. There are nice places to shop on both sides of town, and chain restaurants all over the place these days.

PM me for a recommendation on a good pediatrician.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:07 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,496 times
If you are working in the area code 87110 I would not advise you to move to the west of the river. The commute time will be a nightmare and will only get worse as the years pass.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knollsnews View Post
My neighborhood is great, and is near Cottonwood Mall, churches, good schools, lovely views of the Sandia Mountains, and lots of friendly people. You are going to love this climate and the hospitality. Here's a link to my neighborhood. Relocate

It's close to Paseo del Norte and Coors. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Thanks for the info Knollsnews.

What schools are zoned for your area? Would you happen to know if there are any homes in your neighborhood for sale? And the price range?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:30 AM

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
I live in the 87110 zip now, pretty much grew up here too. You are unlikely to find a new house in this zip, the area was pretty much completely built up by the late 60's and early 70's. There are a lot of very nice houses here however, and many of them have been remodeled several times since then. What you will find in the NE heights thats almost totally lacking on the W. side is mature landscaping, tall trees, and any sort of shade. The size of the average lot is also typically much larger on the E. side, and many houses there have usefull backyards. There is a veritable sea of almost identical "McMansions" on barren, postage-stamp size lots throughout the west side and particulary in Rio Rancho. If you want green and trees on the W. side, you're typically out of luck unless you are considering one of the older areas like Paradise Hills or Corralles.

If you want top rated schools, you are in the wrong state and the wrong city. La Cueva is generally acknowledged to be the best high school in the city, and the middle and elementary schools are a patchwork of OK and...not so much. If you have the money and the inclination there are several excellent private schools up to and including the Albuquerque Academy.

Commute-wise, if you want around 20 minutes and you are working in 87110 you can completely rule out the W. side, there are not even close to enough bridges over the Rio Grande and no improvement is in the works. If you commute well off the peak hours, 20 minutes is feasable. Check the archives for numerous threads on this issue.

If you have young kids, there are lots of parks with big trees....again...on the E. side. The W. side parks are few and far between, and tend towards flat expanses of baked grass and play equipments that'll be too hot to touch through most of the summer unless you go early or late. The ABQ BioPark now encompasses the Zoo, the Aquarium, and the Botannical Gardens and there is a yearly family pass for purchase at a fairly good price. I can wholeheartedly recommend all of them, they are a considerable credit to the city. There is also an Explora science discover center and the Natural History museam, both nice facilities but they have their own separate memberships. All five of those facilities are...again...on the E. side, but near the river and Old Town so they are relatively accessable to the W. siders as well. The city also runs Tingley Beach, the local stocked fishing lake and paddleboat pond. It's much better than it used to be, but not up to the standards of the other facilities discussed earlier. There are a number of public pools but little if any shade except for the indoor high school pools and the West Side Pool near W. Mesa High School which has a large indoor kids pool with lots of water features for the little guys and a couple of small water slides for swimmers. It also has an outdoor pool and an olympic sized indoor lap pool, overall a very nice facility (with sometimes frustrating open hours) and just off Coors, south of I-40.

Shopping, all over the place. The malls are infested with gangbangers and wanna-bes and various others of their ilk. There are nice places to shop on both sides of town, and chain restaurants all over the place these days.

PM me for a recommendation on a good pediatrician.
Thanks for the info.

What are your thoughts on the Far NE Heights & Paradise Hills areas? We're looking in the price range of $300 to $550k.

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
There are plenty of areas around ABQ that should fit all or most of your criteria. But before I make a recommendation: what price range are you looking at? If your budget is limited, you may have a harder time finding what you're looking for in the NE Heights.

Chap
Hi Chap!

We looking in the price range of $300 to $550k. What are your thoughts on the Far NE Heights & Paradise Hills areas?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,496 times
I bet you could find a bunch of listings in that price range. Try here:
ABQREALTORS.com - Official site of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Board of REALTORS® (http://www.abqrealtors.com/homefinder/ - broken link)

Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 PM

Chap - We are looking the the 400 to 500K range for housing. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque