Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:27 PM

281 posts, read 629,065 times

Advertisements

I know it's probably too much to ask, but has anyone found a good philly-style cheesesteak in town? Maybe down by the university?

Looking to satisfy an odd craving today....

-Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 02:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandyman View Post
I know it's probably too much to ask, but has anyone found a good philly-style cheesesteak in town? Maybe down by the university?

Looking to satisfy an odd craving today....

-Z
Good luck with that. It's hard to find a decent cheesesteak in any city outside of Philly, even in the East. I can imagine a pretty tasty NM alternative involving shaved bison steak, onions and chili con queso on a sub roll.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:56 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Lived in the PHL/NJ area for 6 years, love me a good steak. I think Pat's has an edge over Geno's but the best are at a place called Pudge's in Norristown.

I have a couple of recommendations.

First, they will not use the same kind of peppers or bread ( with one exception, or so they claim ), you have to remember that Italian frying peppers/cubanelles/whatever you want to call them are not readily available here. You can buy them at the Corrales Growers Market but I am unaware of any place making cheesesteaks that use the correct peppers. In my mind, green bells are not a substitute, but a lot of people like them.

In the PHL area, the best steaks are made on rolls baked by the Amoroso bakery. Petitto's in Rio Rancho claims to use Amoroso bread, but it does not taste as I remember. Perhaps they are not as fresh, perhaps they are frozen/thawed. The meat and cheese they use is not close enough to the original in my mind to make the bread elevate the sandwich to anything other than slightly above average.

In my mind good steak starts with the meat. It must be rib eye and it must be thinly sliced when frozen and then cooked with onions on a hot grill. Cheese is added at the end and the gloopy insides go into a bun and are served smoking hot.

I only have found 2 contenders.

First is DG's Deli, 1418 MLK DG's Deli

makes a good cheesesteak and is open only for lunch ( closes at 3 )

Tickles and Snooks Wings and Things 6219 Montgomery ( at San Pedro and behind Ho Ho Chinese )

Tickles & Snooks Wings 'n Things - Home

makes a better cheesesteak and is open for lunch and dinner. Because they also do amazing wings, they can make my Buffalo Beef Cheesesteak which is a basic cheesesteak without peppers, topped with blue cheese and some XHot Wing Sauce.

Plus they do fries.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM

50 posts, read 148,656 times
Wings and Things on Montgomery makes excellent cheesesteaks! They also have unbelievable wings.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
I was just back in Philadelphia over the weekend and had one (well, a steak sandwich since I can't really do cheese), but it wasn't too good. Maybe getting it in the suburbs was a mistake, but there wasn't time to do anything else (and we are talking about very near suburbs). Maybe the restaurant could have used more of an Italian presence in the kitchen.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM

39 posts, read 106,038 times
tickles has great food.. I had a kobe burger last time... the meat was wonderful =)

Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
So excited to try Tickles and Snooks... My husband is ecstatic that they have frog legs.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
They got a great review in the Journal last Friday....3 stars.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 AM

51 posts, read 115,585 times
I know there's nothing like a South Philly cheesesteak, but Lenny's doesn't have a bad one. Just ask them to put provolone on it instead of the American cheese.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Lived in the PHL/NJ area for 6 years, love me a good steak. I think Pat's has an edge over Geno's but the best are at a place called Pudge's in Norristown.
Pat's & Geno's? I never liked either of them when I lived there. My favorites were Gaettanos and Mama's in Bala Cynynd.

I agree with you that it is very difficult to find a cheesesteak of quality outside of Philly. Even Northern NJ/NYC couldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque