U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-24-2010, 09:58 AM

116 posts, read 198,943 times
Default Moving to ABQ, any places that are IN THE Mountains with views?

Wondering if out near Tijeras or that general area, are there any rental homes or rental apartments in the $1,200 to $1,400 month range for a small 3 bedroom likely to have a nice view?

Can't find much apartments in that area, so now might start looking for a small rental home.

What are the names of the places that I should look, are some of the mountain areas actually still apart of the official ABQ city limits?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-24-2010, 11:02 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,846,756 times
I don't know of any apartments out there.

I would look at Cedar Crest, North I-40, Tijeras, San Antonito, Sandia Park and Carnuel. None are part of Albuquerque.

Unread 09-24-2010, 04:11 PM

1,746 posts, read 1,747,198 times
A "view" is a tricky thing. It is a misconception that you have to live IN the mountains to have a nice view of the mountains. You might live in the mountains and have a crummy view. You might live in ABQ or Rio Rancho and have an excellent view. I would think where you will be working should influence where you live more than whether there is a view. You will have plenty of views just living in the area and being out and about. If you pan to stay home by the window most of the time then you should look for ads that explicitly state the rental has views.

Unread 09-25-2010, 12:19 AM

5,552 posts, read 8,335,144 times
The Pinnacle At High Desert apartments - 6000 Cortaderia St NE
are in the foothills. Many of the units have good city lights views
and many have good mountain views - some have both.

There are also probably houses or condos for rent in the foothills
that have decent views ( by people convinced that if they wait
real estate prices will come back. )

Unread 09-25-2010, 02:24 PM

722 posts, read 1,016,085 times
Stuck...it may help if you know what you want to see in your view. The area Mortimer pegged...in my opinion, is one of the very best locations to get good mountain and city views. One of the aspects of the city my wife and I were fascinated about when we first moved here was the ability to look down on all the city lights at night from the eastern edge of the city. That's one of the reasons we bought a house east of Tramway Boulevard. But...you can also get good city views from the west side, as well as good mountain views...just not the close-up mountain views Mort was referring to.

Unread 09-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the ideas. For the view, well I guess I like forested mountains (that I dont expect to find), but I was thinking maybe between the desert and forest with a view down a hill or mountain would be good (doesnt have to be overlooking ABQ).

I'm also still looking at Salt Lake City (cold and higher cost of living), Colo Springs (colder), Denver (colder and higher COL), but ABQ is # 1 on the list due to weather and lower cost of living.

I could afford more than $1,400 month, but I don't want to waste too much money since I don't have kids I don't need a big place. So $1,400 is absolute limit unless there was some place I fell in love with, then maybe I'd raise it to $1,550 (unlikely). Shooting for $1,250 month.

I will be staying in a motel and then if I decide ABQ is not for me, I will go look in SLC or Colo Springs (already been to both places, so I have an idea what these are like).

SLC and Colo Springs have a bit better scenery but are colder, and SLC has a lot higher cost of living, so it's unlikely.

I can live anywhere (even remote) as long as I can get a good Internet connection. I have an Internet business and work remotely.

Unread 09-26-2010, 10:34 AM

722 posts, read 1,016,085 times
Since it appears you don't need to be concerned about commuting, perhaps you should look for a rental home in the Tijeras-Cedar Crest-Sandia Park area. You might be able to get a more "woodsy" location there with a decent view of the Sandia or Manzano Mountains...and possibly views of the Sangres to the north. I think there may be a couple of houses for rent there now for under $1500 or so.

Unread 09-26-2010, 11:07 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,747,198 times
One thing to keep in mind is if you live in the mountains near Albuquerque, some of those locations will be more similar in weather to Denver or Salt Lake City than Albuquerque. They do not have the milder winters that we have in ABQ.

comparative mean temps:

ABQ-- Jan. 34, Jul. 78
Sandia Park (East Mountains)-- Jan. 30, Jul. 70
Denver-- Jan. 30, Jul. 74
SLC-- Jan. 28, Jul. 78
Col. Springs-- Jan. 28, Jul. 71

So winter in Sandia Park temperature-wise is more like Denver than ABQ. And average January precipitation is less in Denver than Sandia Park (Denver 0.5 in., Sandia Park 1.3 in., ABQ 0.4 in.). Some will say these differences are minor but they do make a difference in the length of seasons, snowfall, and heating/cooling bills.

Unread 09-26-2010, 12:20 PM

895 posts, read 1,010,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is if you live in the mountains near Albuquerque, some of those locations will be more similar in weather to Denver or Salt Lake City than Albuquerque. They do not have the milder winters that we have in ABQ.

comparative mean temps:

ABQ-- Jan. 34, Jul. 78
Sandia Park (East Mountains)-- Jan. 30, Jul. 70
Denver-- Jan. 30, Jul. 74
SLC-- Jan. 28, Jul. 78
Col. Springs-- Jan. 28, Jul. 71

So winter in Sandia Park temperature-wise is more like Denver than ABQ. And average January precipitation is less in Denver than Sandia Park (Denver 0.5 in., Sandia Park 1.3 in., ABQ 0.4 in.). Some will say these differences are minor but they do make a difference in the length of seasons, snowfall, and heating/cooling bills.
I thought the same thing when I read the post. Yes, Alb. is a few degrees warmer than Colo. Springs but if you live in the mountains you will have those same cold temps. The west side of the Sandias that face Albuquerque are rocky. That's your warmest slope. The east side of the mountains where you'll get the woodsy views are going to have cooler temps more similar to Colorado.

Also, Denver and Albuquerque are both a mile high depending on where you are in the city. The valley is lower but the west mesa and the heights & foothills areas are higher. ABQ is 4900 ft, but higher in certain areas. Denver is 5280 ft so only 400 feet difference.

Unread 09-27-2010, 12:47 AM

Right, but Sandia Park is probably a bit higher than where I would live since it is 7,100 feet in elevation.

I checked the average temps for cedar crest and Tijeras area, definitely a little colder at night, but I don't mind as long as I am getting the scenery (a trade off). Plus it's still a bit drier than Colo Springs or Denver until you get above a certain elevation, so not as much snow even at 6000 or 6500 feet, and since it's farther south than Colorado the sun tends to do better at melting the snow due to more daylight.

If I lived in the hills of Colo Springs for scenery (6500+ ft), those places are really miserable in the winter, same with Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque