Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 PM

277 posts, read 682,331 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily specific to Albuquerque, but kind of...

I have noticed in the time that I have lived here that things are just so much different from back East... I lazily sat at a green light for a while, and no one honked behind me... much less, no one really honks at you in general out here.

No one feels the need to be dressed up in business attire on a daily basis, with all the designer labels.

People are generally happy with smaller-establishment restaurants and shopping.

I find life here much more similar to the Midwest, but comparing this all to back East where I came from, I can't believe how differently people "live", what gets them excited, what bugs them, what you can and can't do without, etc.

What do you think defines the personality of a region? What is it about Albuquerque or New Mexico that "allows" a more laid-back attitude? Is this a good or bad thing (or neither)? Why do people back East "tend" to be more high-strung and go-getter types? Why do you "need" certain things in part of a country and not another?

Just curious what you all think. My mind works in strange ways sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
What is it about Albuquerque or New Mexico that "allows" a more laid-back attitude?
Maybe I'll tell you manana.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Maybe I'll tell you manana.
Lol

As for the OP, these are things my husband and I have talked about at times. We don't have any answers other than we like the more laid back areas of the country. My husband said where he is from, everyone lays on the horn the moment the light turns green . He also really likes that he never ever has to wear a tie to work here, but in the NE he would have to every day. There must be some anthropologist out there who has some answers to the regional differences!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
I have noticed in the time that I have lived here that things are just so much different from back East... I lazily sat at a green light for a while, and no one honked behind me... much less, no one really honks at you in general out here.
Albuquerqueans are passive-aggressive, they may not be honking but they are sitting there, fingering their concealed carrys. ;-)

Quote:
People are generally happy with smaller-establishment restaurants and shopping.
This I must disagree with (or at least I must disagree with generalizing "Back East" in this regard). Although Albuquerque does have a lot of local restaurants and a few local retail places, compared to my area "Back East" there are national chains up the ying yang out here. A lot more than there were 20 years ago.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 PM

326 posts, read 837,812 times
While hiking back down the mountain yesterday a thought came to me. I have been here for almost one month, and very little has gone right, but every time I pack up and hit the trails a sudden tranquility comes over me, a happyness.

The ocean has a captivating and powerful energy. It can go from calm and serene to violent and deadly in a short period of time. The ocean waters are constantly changing (temperature, tides, winds, ect.). Creatures that live in the tidal zone are constantly holding on for dear life as the next noreaster could be the one to drag them out to sea.

On the other hand the mountains have a majesty about them, a peace, calm, and an almost elderly wisdom about them. They radiate an energy full of serenity and relaxation. They are old and although worn down over the thousands of years for our lifetime they will change very little. They stand there as giants harboring a wide arrange of lifeforms.

I have never in my whole life living within walking reach to the ocean felt the tranquility I have while on a mountain.

Boston, a harbor city is a dog eat dog world. Every thing is a fight, a fight to get onto the T in the AM, everyone needs to be somewhere and get something done. If you are not the assertive one you are going to get trampled. They ebb and flow like the ocean tides between friendly and confrentational. Who knows when you are going to get eaten alive? Life can change as quick as the ocean and today might be your last so you need to GO fast and live hard and accomplish everything you can before the figurative "tide" comes and takes you out with it.

Here I see people that are more friendly, they know that unless its doomsday there is almost always going to be a tomarrow (and if you die well then you don't have to worry about it all now do you?). Like the mountain they do not move fast, there is no rush. The mountain (or city) isn't going to eat you alive, you can relax, you can sit back and look around, you can enjoy your life because each day gets closer to your last and unlike the mountain you won't last forever.

My take, as the "crunchy granola energy work girl" is that maybe these cities and the citizens in them take their energy from the natural energies surounding them.

Last edited by DrinkMagaritas; 09-30-2010 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: had to add something.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:58 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Thanks for that answer, DrinkMagaritas! It put a smile on my face-- I'm glad you have tapped into that tranquil mountain energy so soon after arriving here. Mountains also attract storms.... you may not have seen that yet.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:37 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
While hiking back down the mountain yesterday a thought came to me. I have been here for almost one month, and very little has gone right, but every time I pack up and hit the trails a sudden tranquility comes over me, a happyness.

The ocean has a captivating and powerful energy. It can go from calm and serene to violent and deadly in a short period of time. The ocean waters are constantly changing (temperature, tides, winds, ect.). Creatures that live in the tidal zone are constantly holding on for dear life as the next noreaster could be the one to drag them out to sea.

On the other hand the mountains have a majesty about them, a peace, calm, and an almost elderly wisdom about them. They radiate an energy full of serenity and relaxation. They are old and although worn down over the thousands of years for our lifetime they will change very little. They stand there as giants harboring a wide arrange of lifeforms.

I have never in my whole life living within walking reach to the ocean felt the tranquility I have while on a mountain.

Boston, a harbor city is a dog eat dog world. Every thing is a fight, a fight to get onto the T in the AM, everyone needs to be somewhere and get something done. If you are not the assertive one you are going to get trampled. They ebb and flow like the ocean tides between friendly and confrentational. Who knows when you are going to get eaten alive? Life can change as quick as the ocean and today might be your last so you need to GO fast and live hard and accomplish everything you can before the figurative "tide" comes and takes you out with it.

Here I see people that are more friendly, they know that unless its doomsday there is almost always going to be a tomarrow (and if you die well then you don't have to worry about it all now do you?). Like the mountain they do not move fast, there is no rush. The mountain (or city) isn't going to eat you alive, you can relax, you can sit back and look around, you can enjoy your life because each day gets closer to your last and unlike the mountain you won't last forever.

My take, as the "crunchy granola energy work girl" is that maybe these cities and the citizens in them take their energy from the natural energies surounding them.
Love love love your post! Thanks for sharing .

Old 10-02-2010, 02:15 PM

277 posts, read 682,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Although Albuquerque does have a lot of local restaurants and a few local retail places, compared to my area "Back East" there are national chains up the ying yang out here. A lot more than there were 20 years ago.
I think what I meant more was the fact that Albuquerque DOES have all these national chains and not the hoity-toity expensive joints (big-ticket steakhouses, for example). People here seem to be okay, for the most part, with familiar, national stuff as opposed to being uber-particular about their food - does that make sense?

As I read these responses (great mountain/ocean analogy, by the way!), I am wondering if it is more a city/suburb/country thing rather than anything specific to East Coast or Southwest.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:02 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,179 times
Quote:
What do you think defines the personality of a region? What is it about Albuquerque or New Mexico that "allows" a more laid-back attitude? Is this a good or bad thing (or neither)? Why do people back East "tend" to be more high-strung and go-getter types? Why do you "need" certain things in part of a country and not another? Just curious what you all think. My mind works in strange ways sometimes.
IMHO..... it may be that it is not so crowded out here. We have alot of sun and not much humidity (maybe a comfort level). Love sitting out in the cool evenings looking at the stars.

Every region of the US has its own weather patterns, population#s and cultures. I like New Mexico alot though I'm ready to leave Eastern NM.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:06 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
Most Excellent Margaritas...... that feels very right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque