U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: New Mexico USA
17,444 posts, read 18,525,729 times
Reputation: 20073

Advertisements

Those Candy Corn's go back to the 1880s. I am not that old, but I remember always hating them... My wife loves them....


Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: ABQ, NM
374 posts, read 361,755 times
Reputation: 130
Zoo Boo — City of Albuquerque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 12:08 PM
 
432 posts, read 652,550 times
Reputation: 285
Go to the rich neighborhoods, they hand out money, not candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,643 posts, read 2,110,872 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
A very good choice and a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
910 posts, read 1,221,776 times
Reputation: 594
Interesting fact: No one has ever been poisoned on Halloween from trick-or-treating -- NEVER. So all of this hullabaloo about going to get the candy xrayed or checked out is nonsense.

If you like to take your kids out for trick-or-treating but don't want them eating all of that candy, you can send it to me! Actually there's a local dentist who accepts the candy and pays the kids so much per pound for the candy. Then he donates the candy to the troops overseas.

I say don't go to the rich neighborhoods if you have little kids. The houses are spread too far apart so there's lots of walking. Also, you get more porch lights off in those areas. Find a neighborhood where you see lots of kids out playing in the daytime and where the homes are closer together. You'll get way more bang for your buck on Halloween!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM
 
Location: ABQ, NM
374 posts, read 361,755 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
Interesting fact: No one has ever been poisoned on Halloween from trick-or-treating -- NEVER. So all of this hullabaloo about going to get the candy xrayed or checked out is nonsense.
There is one case that I know of where a kid ate poisoned Halloween candy, but it was specifically meant for the kid and it was his dad who poisoned the candy. As far as I know, nobody has given out poisoned candy as a random gesture, but I still think parents should be careful. Doesn't hurt anyone or anything to get the candy checked just in case...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
 
1 posts, read 677 times
Reputation: 12
Sorry you feel this way, but I have two small children and we live in a small development in the East Mountains. We really don't have houses close together and find it easier to visit homes that have short walking distances in between, that is why we go into Albuquerque. Please tell me where you live and I will make sure that we do not visit you area. Why does it matter if the kids are from your area or not, once you run out of candy you are done then you won't have to bother with kids at all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
In your own neighborhood, not mine. If there aren't a lot of houses where you live, take them to an organized event.

I'm not spending $$ to treat kids who don't live in our development. Every year, vans full of those from other neighborhoods park and solicit from us.

Bah humbug, or the Halloween equivalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
910 posts, read 1,221,776 times
Reputation: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
There is one case that I know of where a kid ate poisoned Halloween candy, but it was specifically meant for the kid and it was his dad who poisoned the candy. As far as I know, nobody has given out poisoned candy as a random gesture, but I still think parents should be careful. Doesn't hurt anyone or anything to get the candy checked just in case...
X-ray machines don't detect poison -- only things like sharp metal objects. I did read that someone got a razor blade in their candy bag in Santa Fe this year. I don't know if there was more behind the story or not. Albuquerque has never had a case yet. Not to say it can't happen, but really a child is hundreds of times more likely to get hit by a car while trick-or-treating than he/she is to getting poisoned candy.

On a side note, my daughter (yes she's a teen, yes she dressed up) went trick-or-treating in the country club area with friends. I think they thought they'd get some good loot. She came back with the worst loot in her entire life. Her bag had hardly any candy in it after 2 hours. She said there were so many kids that people were only giving out cheap candy and only one piece each.

My son went trick-or-treating in our area and got probably 8 times more candy than his sister. So far my theory is correct -- stay away from the rich neighborhoods where the kids do more walking and get less candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 PM
 
Location: ABQ, NM
374 posts, read 361,755 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
X-ray machines don't detect poison -- only things like sharp metal objects. I did read that someone got a razor blade in their candy bag in Santa Fe this year. I don't know if there was more behind the story or not. Albuquerque has never had a case yet. Not to say it can't happen, but really a child is hundreds of times more likely to get hit by a car while trick-or-treating than he/she is to getting poisoned candy.

On a side note, my daughter (yes she's a teen, yes she dressed up) went trick-or-treating in the country club area with friends. I think they thought they'd get some good loot. She came back with the worst loot in her entire life. Her bag had hardly any candy in it after 2 hours. She said there were so many kids that people were only giving out cheap candy and only one piece each.

My son went trick-or-treating in our area and got probably 8 times more candy than his sister. So far my theory is correct -- stay away from the rich neighborhoods where the kids do more walking and get less candy.
Only sharp metal items? Not dull ones? Apparently, I missed the part were I suggested that X-ray machines could detect poisons, and did not say I agreed with getting the candy checked without mentioning X-rays. Oh, wait....I guess I missed that part because it doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 05:56 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
910 posts, read 1,221,776 times
Reputation: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
There is one case that I know of where a kid ate poisoned Halloween candy, but it was specifically meant for the kid and it was his dad who poisoned the candy. As far as I know, nobody has given out poisoned candy as a random gesture, but I still think parents should be careful. Doesn't hurt anyone or anything to get the candy checked just in case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
Only sharp metal items? Not dull ones? Apparently, I missed the part were I suggested that X-ray machines could detect poisons, and did not say I agreed with getting the candy checked without mentioning X-rays. Oh, wait....I guess I missed that part because it doesn't exist.
Wow, no need to be contrary stanrice. Your post was in reference to poison so that's what I responded to. When kids take their candy bags to have them checked (police station or a hospital?? I'm not sure), they are checking for sharp metal objects (think razor blade) that might be slid inside of a candy bar or something similar. The candy is xrayed. A new razor or a dull one -- doesn't matter. I'm saying this is a waste of time. How does one check candy for poison, anyway?

There was no need for the sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top