Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
For quick and dirty, you can take raw tortillas, brush (or just use your hands) each side with a little oil, and microwave VERY briefly (15-30 sec) to cook them a tiny bit.

Then fill, roll, sauce and top.....and bake a few minutes. They are not as good as frying, but it's fast and doesn't taste quite as raw.
I used that technique the other night for tacos but baked them in the regular oven. I would have thought they'd turn kind of gummy in the microwave like flour tortillas do but I'll give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I used that technique the other night for tacos but baked them in the regular oven. I would have thought they'd turn kind of gummy in the microwave like flour tortillas do but I'll give it a try.
If you aren't careful, they CAN turn gummy and tough in the MW. Doing the same thing in a regular oven does work better, but it's obviously not fast.

I follow the quick MWing with baking in the regular oven, not in the MW.

As for tacos......I often use commercial corn shells, as there are some decent ones out there now. Mission is OK, along with Tia Maria (I think that's it) and one other whose name I can't remember.

If I want soft corn tacos, I use my countertop grill that closes and cooks both sides at once. I grill well-seasoned chicken or fish, then grill the oiled tortillas for a minute or so and fill.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
As for tacos......I often use commercial corn shells, as there are some decent ones out there now. Mission is OK, along with Tia Maria (I think that's it) and one other whose name I can't remember.
Unless you're in Santa Fe or ABQ you probably don't have access to Trader Joe's but they've got some now that aren't too bad. My only complaint is I have to handle them with kid gloves or they crack in half at the fold. They do give you that nice crunch like a tortilla chip.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Man -- you guys have got me wanting some good homemade enchiladas!!!

We are going to lunch today at Maria's here in Santa Fe, and I will have to get enchiladas since you two have got my mouth watering for some.

(I use green sauce for my enchiladas. I have a quick and easy recipe if anyone likes green on their enchiladas.)

Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Sure! I'm always up for another good enchilada sauce!

I like green, tomatillo and sour cream sauces the best. Enjoy your lunch. I have quit eating out here for the most part. Just totally lousy. I'm headed for Texas next week, and looking forward to some good Tex-Mex/Mexican food for a change!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
(I use green sauce for my enchiladas. I have a quick and easy recipe if anyone likes green on their enchiladas.)
I use green too. Unfortunately we don't have much choice in canned enchilada sauces here in Northern VA so it's Las Palmas or nothing. If you've got a recipe for homemade, I'll give it a try.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I use green too. Unfortunately we don't have much choice in canned enchilada sauces here in Northern VA so it's Las Palmas or nothing. If you've got a recipe for homemade, I'll give it a try.
Can you get frozen Bueno Foods green chile? They have a good recipe on the side of the carton.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Can you get frozen Bueno Foods green chile? They have a good recipe on the side of the carton.
I'll have to check at some of our local latin food stores. The challenge here is that our Hispanic population is mainly Central American and not Mexican and the Anglos are from such exotic locales as the Philadelphia suburbs so it's hit or miss on Southwestern/Mexican food products. The cans of Mexican products I buy usually have thick coats of dust on them as nobody else buys much of it. I live in constant fear that once something's gone I'll never find it again. The moon has better Mexican food supplies than Northern Virginia.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 AM

The moon has better Mexican food supplies than Northern Virginia.

LOL!! Check your local Walmart. Granted, very different part of the country, but they might be able to get it for you if they don't stock it. Most Walmarts in TX-NM carry both frozen red and green. They might do the same in other parts of the country, maybe?

And, no, no Trader Joe's here in Alamo. Only grocery stores are Walmart and Lowe's...and the last really caters to those who like Mexican food. I can get corn and flour tortillas made on the premises, several kinds of dried chile, fresh poblanos, jals, green chile, habaneros, etc.

Given what passes for Mexican food here, I'd die if I couldn't get what I need to make it at home.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
The best pre-made taco shells that I've found so far are the Great Value store brand at Walmart. In all the times I've bought them (dozens of times over the last two years) I've never encountered a shell that was broken. I use store-bought taco shells only when I make tacos with ground beef and a taco seasoning. When I make chicken or shredded beef tacos I always just fry regular corn tortillas with the filling inside to make the tacos. Tacos made this way are especially good because the exposed shreds of the chicken and beef get a little crispy, adding another bit of flavor. My mom makes tacos this way with a ground beef and potato filling. They are incredible, but I've never tried making them myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque