U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,470,363 times
Default Need Enchilada Preparation Help

After reading the best enchilada thread I had a slightly off topic question so am starting a new one.

My question is, how do you make enchiladas so the tortillas don't turn to mush after they bake in the oven? Am I not frying them long enough before filling them? Is it the brand of store bought corn tortillas I"m using? Please advise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM

8,233 posts, read 11,562,261 times
The brand could make a difference. I've noticed that some tend to tear more easily than others.

Try a brand that is a little thicker, and you should have better luck.

Fry them just to the point before they start to firm up, if you are making ROLLED enchiladas.

If you are making stacked, you can fry them a little longer so they are a little more crisp.

I put mine (rolled) on individual heatproof plates for each person after they are filled....top with sauce and cheese, and bake only long enough for them to be hot throughout.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 10-10-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 03:24 PM

3,766 posts, read 3,989,129 times
Sometimes I forego frying them in oil, just soften the tortilla into a pot of hot chile rojo sauce & then roll. It works that way too without all the oil.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Yeah I know it's more NM to do them flat but I can't break the rolled habit. Besides what you've suggested so far I'm thinking one problem is I'm putting the sauce on the bottom of the pan and they're getting too soggy. My usual method is to fry the tortillas lightly in oil, dip them in sauce, place them in a pan that has sauce on the bottom, fill them, roll them, and then put more of the sauce and shredded cheese on top before baking them about 20 minutes. Tell me where I'm going wrong with this process.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:32 PM

That is the standard recipe, for sure. I'm used to the rolled also, and make them that way more often than not. I've done them exactly the way you described.

I no longer dip mine in sauce just because they can get too soggy. I also favor the individual dry plate thing for the same reason...sauce is placed on top of the lightly fried (and drained, patting off the extra oil with paper towel) filled/rolled enchiladas, spreading it just to cover. Top with cheese after saucing.

375-400 oven for about 5-10 min.

My favorite enchiladas are tomatillo, and they always break/tear/get soggy because of the high water content. Red and green chile sauce are not as much of a problem when done on individual plates.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM

736 posts, read 912,378 times
Here's a recipe, but you'll need a truck and forklift.
The Whole Enchilada Fiesta 2010

Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I no longer dip mine in sauce just because they can get too soggy. I also favor the individual dry plate thing for the same reason...sauce is placed on top of the lightly fried (and drained, patting off the extra oil with paper towel) filled/rolled enchiladas, spreading it just to cover. Top with cheese after saucing.

375-400 oven for about 5-10 min..
Funny, before reading your response I did exactly what you suggest here and they turned out great. Seems the key is keeping the tortilllas dry and just baking them a short time. I also put a couple of spoonfuls of the green enchilada sauce in with the filling (cottage cheese, chicken, cilantro, and red onion) and added a smaller amount than usual on top with the shredded queso blanco. They held together much better.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Here's a recipe, but you'll need a truck and forklift.
The Whole Enchilada Fiesta 2010
Plus a bulldozer if you want to do them rolled. Thanks for the link Jim. Was fun reading. I'm gonna make a point to get there in the future to see it done. Must be awesome to be one of the "14 men".

Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 PM

616 posts, read 501,281 times
The best corn tortillas are the Bueno brand by far, IMO. Every other brand that I've tried has had a problem with breaking and also with having a sour taste to them. La Mexicana used to have the best corn tortillas until they went out of business a few years ago. They've recently re-opened, but either my tastes have changed or they aren't as good as they used to be. I know one thing for sure, their tortillas are thicker and now have that problem with breaking.

About not frying your corn tortillas when making enchiladas: I had never heard or thought of that until last year when I caught a cooking show produced by the New Mexico Department of Agriculture on Encantada TV which showcased classic recipes using our New Mexico green chile.

One of the recipes they featured was for green chile chicken enchiladas. I thought it was strange at first that the cooks didn't fry the tortillas. I became curious as to what the end result would be, and also intrigued by the possibility of eliminating all that oil that one traditionally uses when making enchiladas, so I went ahead and tried making them that way.

I must say that I initially was dissapointed, as you can really taste the raw corn flavor when you don't fry the tortillas. It's not that it's bad, but it's not good either. However, when warming up the leftovers I found that the raw corn taste eventually goes away and that the overall taste becomes better. Ever since then I've gotten used to making my enchiladas both ways, in separate pans, and saving the ones made with the unfried tortillas for a different day.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:03 PM

For quick and dirty, you can take raw tortillas, brush (or just use your hands) each side with a little oil, and microwave VERY briefly (15-30 sec) to cook them a tiny bit.

Then fill, roll, sauce and top.....and bake a few minutes. They are not as good as frying, but it's fast and doesn't taste quite as raw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque