U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 11,254 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm thinking about relocating to Albuquerque from Southern Utah, looking for a City in the Southwest to live in!

I have read many many posts on ABQ but still have a few questions:

Can anyone point me in the direction of some safe affordable urban neighborhoods to rent in (for a single person)?

Any points of interest not to be missed on a weekend trip?

I'm very outdoorsy, sporty, love cooking, want to build a new network of friends in a new city.

Any other Cities you would recommend?

I'm also thinking about Boise ID, but I see the state runs the liquor stores and that's a big turnoff for me.

Thanks!
HB222
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,447,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB222
Hi!
Hi.

Quote:
I'm thinking about relocating
... have a few questions:
Can anyone point me in the direction of ...
I'm going to point you in the direction of the [Search] function.

Your questions have been answered at length and I would
not want you to miss out on the bountiful information there.

People who have already answered your question are not likely
to respond with new typing of old content. Even if they were,
it might take days for you to get information that you could get
-- right away -- just by clicking on a [Search] result.

After that, you can respond to an old post and get certain
out-of-state forum members all riled up because you revived
an "old thread." I really enjoy that.

Do stuff like: I see that visiting 'Point A' is a nice thing to do.
Is driving up 'road B' a good way to go?
People like to respond
to that rather than "tell me everything" ( again ) posts.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 AM

2,804 posts, read 4,349,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB222 View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of some safe affordable urban neighborhoods to rent in (for a single person)?
Define safe, define affordable, define urban. There's downtown, uptown, etc.; use objective criteria like $600/mo., 1 bdrm, etc. Is urban 10 story bldgs on avg., 4? 2? All of Albuquerque is safe by most standards, though some areas are safer than others.

Quote:
Any points of interest not to be missed on a weekend trip?
Yes! But, a weekend trip isn't enough time to see the not-to-be-missed locations and activities. Recommend looking through earlier posts and prioritizing what sounds best to you.

Once you visit, you'll see what is and isn't your cup of tea. This forum will only get you so far in that regard.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 PM

I have searched many posts, read many "are you happy in abq" posts. Didn't want to be too specific about myself. . .

I'm not a student so I don't necessarily need to be close to UNM. I've seen Bricklight district recommended, Central/Wellesley, Central & 8th, Girard & University, Silver/Garfield/Yale/Carlisle, Lomas & Girard, the 87111 & 87112 zip codes. . . I'm looking forward to visiting and deciding if this is a good fit, just wanted to be pointed to some good neighborhoods to maximize my visit.

Safe as in i do not want my car vandalized parked on the street. have lived just fine in Milwaukee, Minneapolis. . .and now in Cedar City (very safe!)

I guess I'll keep searching tho.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:23 PM

365 posts, read 517,865 times
ABQ is not very urban. And what passes for urban is not very safe (as far as property goes anyway). I live downtown, which is as urban as ABQ gets. I regularly see broken glass from cars being broken into. One morning I came out and every single car had their windows broken. I park in a garage, so I'm safe. But I would not want to park outside around here.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,447,458 times
Quote:
I have searched many posts, ... Safe as in i do not
want my car vandalized parked on the street.
You should look for words like "safe" "neighborhood" "moving to" and stuff like that within the [Albuquerque] forum.

||||| There are nice apartments with garages.
||||| There are homes for rent with them also.
|||||
||||| .... park in the street? .... ew.

Zoidberg is right ( again ). You also need to define what you need, where you are going to work, etc.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Well after having spent a week in Albuquerque searching for an apartment I can see why no one would want to park on the street. The hotel I stayed at on I-25 & San Antonio had 5 cars broken into overnight - mine was vandalized too and I didn't have anything in it to steal. Thankfully my jeep wasn't stolen.

I had a very tough time generating enough apartments to look at. I used craigslist, abq journal, weekly alibi, and literally drove up and down the streets looking for Rent signs - Old Town, Downtown, Nob Hill, Uptown, NE Heights, stuff just north of I-40, los Ranchos. . . Hyder park, cherry hills. Craiglist gave me the most options - though I had to sift through all the big complex adds - i definitely do not want to live in a big apartment complex on a noisy blvd. The Apartment Store had one option for me that I already found on Craigslist anyway. This was a very hard week. My timing may have been bad but I did find a place with a garage.

Are there any other ways to find apartments for rent (besides craigslist)?
Are there any gas stations with 87 gas (not 86 and 88)?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,397,941 times
Sorry to hear that your visit here was not as fruitful as you'd hoped. Are you still considering a move here?

It would be extremely helpful if you could be a bit more specific about your housing criteria (e.g. what is your budget? are you looking for a house specifically or is an apartment okay? are you limiting your search to specific areas of the city?).

There are some very nice, smallish apartment complexes with garages that are not in busy areas. Examples: Tierra Antigua and Broadstone High Desert. However these are not in the areas you have mentioned. But if you were willing to consider Cherry Hills, then these might be options. They are closer to the foothills. You might try a google search something along the lines of "university of nm rentals." There are many web sites and property managers specifically geared toward that area. Another place to look is dailylobo.com, which is UNM's newspaper. They usually have rentals listed in the classifieds.

I don't know about where to find 87 gas, but from my weak memory I only recall seeing 86 or 88.

Good luck to you .

Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,116,361 times
I'm sorry I hadn't read this post earlier. In my experience some of the best places found by family and friends were those which were stumbled upon when driving around. A lot of property owners do not advertise much, they merely put a for rent or for lease sign outside the property with their phone number on it, some of these same property owners are old school and only advertise in the Albuquerque Journal which can be found online. ABQJournal.com

A general idea of what is affordable to you would help too.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Criteria: small apartment duplex/4plex with no carpet, no pets, no intrusive landlord or contained gated community. Updated kitchen with nice appliances and cabinets, secured parking. Not looking to rent a house. Safe, 600-800 (including utilities).

I am flexible and I know what I don't like. I had to increase my price range once I got to ABQ because the places I was being shown were in the 600's and they were dumps next to some sketchy 711's. I'm pretty sure Broadstone Heights/ High Desert is out of my price range and I don't want to live in a little community. But I can look into those two suggestions - Tierra Antigua & Broadstone High Desert.

I found a nice place on High & Lead SE. I really like it and I hope I am not a target for crime. It's a gated condo rental (but not a gated community) with a garage. I'd even be hesitant to let a friend park their car in the open parking lot overnight. And there will be construction going on there for a while. I also found a nice place on Tramway and Candelaria but it seems too far from downtown/ central. . .and it's a ground level apt with "offstreet" parking.

I am used to renting in Minneapolis - had a great apartment with hardwood floors in South Minneapolis. Just a 12 unit building with a cool landlord. I never worried about parking my car on the street. Even on 25th & Nicollet didn't ever worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque