Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
That is probably my 2nd biggest beef with the swamps - while Albuquerque (and these other cities) are part of a desert and thus can justify using swamps, let's not forget that 2.5 (most of July, August, and early September) of the five summer months here (May thru September) are part of the monsoon season. Thus, humidities commonly get into the 30s at least, and even though the drier parts - mid-May through early July - are usually physically hotter, the swamps falter in July and August and thus make indoor areas relatively warm.
At the moment the temp here (Long Island, NY) is 75 with 75% humidity. We would love our humidity to be in the 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:01 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
At the moment the temp here (Long Island, NY) is 75 with 75% humidity. We would love our humidity to be in the 30's.
No, I hear you 100% there Norm, 30% humidity is still great. The problem with it though is that once the humidities get in the 30% range or so...swamp coolers start not working. They just blow warm air and do not cool. This is why you won't find swamp coolers in any other locations in the U.S. than in the Southwest...they wouldn't work anywhere else because of the higher humidity levels.

(Frankly, when I am outdoors here, I actually kind of prefer 30% humidity because it doesn't keep skin/lips, etc., quite as dry. It is just indoors that swamp needs it to be as dry as possible to cool as best as possible).

Old 07-19-2007, 02:39 PM

271 posts, read 1,175,114 times
I have both in my house and I would agree with what most say about the
swamp cooler except on the somewhat rare humid days. It is then almost not
affective at all except as a blower of moist air. Also I have used swamps for
years in AZ and in New Mexico and I will never go away for a day or two and leave the swamp on but I will leave the air conditioner on with it's nice thermostat. They both have their pros and cons but most of my neighbors and friends have switched to refrigerated air for some of the reasons I mentioned. Also the swamp does take a little more maintenance like cleaning and occasionally replacing the float assembly. I like both of them but I would give the edge to the refrigerated air. If you have a smaller house
I notice that a lot of people just use the window unit refrigerated air so
they can do zone cooling. When my swamp wears out that is what I will
do. They are very resonable at home depot/lowes. Also I do almost no
maintenance on my refer. air units. If they break in 5 or 6 years I just go
buy a new one. No more central air on a smaller house for me either. To
expenisive to maintain if it goes out.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Refrigerated air units run up the electric bill a lot more. I think swamp coolers work fairly well even here in Ft Worth, where it is more humid than anywhere in NM. I'd give the nod to a swamp cooler in NM.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 PM

271 posts, read 1,175,114 times
Wow I would think it would be much to humid for swamps in Ft. Worth.
I've never lived there but I had to do some consulting work a few years
ago in Dallas for about one week and I about died from the humidity.
Maybe that was unusual for that part of the country but I remember it
was around 100 degrees. I'm sure glad the hotel had refrigerated air.

I difinitely not saying swamps are all bad at all. Mine is buzzing away right now but I have a nice new window unit refrigerated air in my bedroom.
I just like the automatic features on it. Thermostat and timer. I guess you
could set that up with a swamp but the window unit actually costs less than
the swamp I purchased new two years ago. And with the engery saver
button pushed in the cost is about the same for each of the units.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:26 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Do you all think there'd be a market in NM for a refrigerated air unit that costs $5k, puts out 2 tons peak of cooling, works only during the day, and costs zero to run?

Old 07-21-2007, 07:52 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,212 times
I have refrigerated air and it was a no brainer for me. I also think it helps the resale value of a house. That said, my mom has a swamp cooler and it's worked fine but I think the maitenance is a hassle -- and getting things turned on/off etc for the seasons. She has a portable window unit she just moves around to do zone cooling and she likes that. Her bills are less than mine but her house is smaller too. I don't think my electric bill has been adversely high whatsoever. There are plenty of regular AC units these days that are highly energy efficient.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:19 PM

22,918 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Mark - I have to say that although I have often disagreed with your posts / takes here about New Mexico, I was absolutely dying of laughter at your post here - spot on! Really funny stuff and I really couldn't agree more.

There was a Jim Belshaw column in the Albuquerque Journal about 2 months or so that he entitled "Ask Dr. Swamp Cooler" that was a pricelessly hilarious column to read for any New Mexican from Central or Southern NM who has dealt with scorching hot summers and swamps...it was just hilarious and a recommended read.

One point he alluded to New Mexicans taking great pride in that first blast of air from the swamp for the season right after starting it up, enjoying every minute of blowing a winter worth of dead spiders through the house, etc., it was really hilarious.
When I was a kid, my friends and I used to have a great game in the living room. My grandmother had her swamp cooler in the main den window. We'd crank it up full blast. One would stand in front of the air with a bubble wand. The other would station himself in the middle of the room with a dishtowel. The game was to see how many bubbles you could wipe out before they hit the ground.

Great training for future Jedi.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 38,397 times
I look forward to getting back to the SW and the low humidity. Being in South Mississippi 4 years with temps and humidityin the 80s,90s and 100s weeks at a time I can hardly move at the end of the day. Swamp coolers will also keep your furniture from drying out and that's important for fabric or wood. Swamps are good for the environment and with water shortages and expensive electricity its the way to go. Get a window unit for the most frequently occupied space and you will be glad you did. Movin Joe

Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
According to PNM's web site, swamp coolers use more water than refrigerated air, even bearing in mind the water used in the electricity generation to run them.

Also not factored in, the cost of transporting and purifying the water used in the swamp cooler.

That said, swamp cooler is still less bad for the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque