Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,808 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and 3 kids are considering move to Albuquerque. We currently live in Northern California and looking to move somewhere less stressful - enjoy life more with the kids. We had considered Phoenix/Scottsdale (I grew up there) but now it is too expensive. Had a friend suggest Albuquerque. Rio Rancho looks like a nice area but I was wondering about the southwest area of Albuquerque? Any community developments in that area? How about the schools in Albuquerque? Any info is greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 PM

82 posts, read 393,132 times
Personally I would advoid the southwest part of Abq anywhere south of Montano. That is certainly one of the toughest parts to live in this city and the schools are horrendous. APS rather send money to the NE schools then the SW ones who need it the most. There are people on here who will say it is misconceptions but I have seen it first hand. Definately a part of town you do not want to be in after dark.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
Southwest Albuquerque comprises way too much area to make a blanket judgement. In terms of the city with addresses ending in SW, the areas close to downtown are actually quite nice, and getting nicer. Much of the SW that is east of the river is improving.

Older westside communities like Barelas, Arenal, and Atrisco are all also improving, though they were often considered bad parts of town in the past.

If you go further out on the west side, though, the majority of the neighborhoods get pretty bad. They also tend to be the most affordable housing in town. Net effect: lots more kids than in older, richer parts of town.

Does APS apportion funds evenly? Depends on your perspective. New school construction/expansion is disproportionately out there, and that's a huge chunk of the budget. A much higher percentage of the kids are ESL, and these kids require more time in the classroom (more teachers per student).

With a rapid shift in demand so far west of the existing infrastructure, and no end in sight with the developments going up out that way (and lower tax revenues coming from that area) APS is going to stay stretched for a while.

Some people will pick other neighborhoods based on the school situation, while others will pick these and complain about it. APS doesn't deserve quite all of the blame it gets.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 PM

150 posts, read 792,024 times
Nix the SW part of Albuquerque for the needs you describe. Especially safety w/kids. (Yes SW residents, I know there are a few exceptions.)
Rio Rancho is the fastest growing community in New Mexico, and just replaced Roswell (not counting aliens) as the 4th largest city.
It has a new high school, and only recently separated from the Albuquerque Public School system. They have their own law enforcement (although they like to run speed traps...but it's one of the safest cities by statistics in the SW...even the U.S.!). Ditto city government, fire, EMS, etc. A brand new hospital (the only one on the West Side), and stores are everywhere, albeit mostly of the stripmall variety, so your daily needs are easily acquired.
Cottonwood Mall (the biggest in the Albuquerque area) is about 5 miles SE on Coors Blvd.
Just south of Rio Rancho, Albuquerque's NW side is also growing quickly, just south and west of Cottonwood. One of these areas is Ventana Ranch, with moderately priced homes. Stay north of Paseo Del Norte Blvd, and you'll be OK. If you'd prefer being a little closer "in" the city, the far Northeast Heights will be the best for kids, neighborhoods, and schools. Get an Albuquerque map, and stay east of Wyoming Blvd., and north of Menaul Blvd., and you'll find pretty nice, and diverse offerings from the 1970's to the present. You'll enjoy the "native growth" Open Space Parks for hiking, bicycling, and picnicing, and the cool pines behind the Sandia mountains are appreciated in summer, and there is skiing, snowboarding ,and sledding back there in winter. Only 30-50 minutes drive from the city. 50 is RR. This is a very "outdoor" oriented community. :-) I hope you love it as much as I do after 23 years. Not too cold winters...not too hot summers. Lots of sunshine. New Mexico is unlike anywhere else in the U.S. though...and can be a bit of a "culture shock." Be open minded, and appreciate it's uniqueness. You'll blend right in.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmderosa2k View Post
Personally I would advoid the southwest part of Abq anywhere south of Montano. That is certainly one of the toughest parts to live in this city and the schools are horrendous.
What schools are not horrendous except the NE hieghts....I guess the toughest part of town is debatable but over here in the Southeast area is not a cup of tea either. I see the SW has more new housing like south Unser and south 98th streets than over here which only has South Eubank for new housing. Stay off the Zuni/Central/Trumbull area and also Kathryn between San Mateo/San Pedro and you should be fine.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:46 PM

82 posts, read 393,132 times
Harry you are right. I think the whole part of town south of Central ave has problems that the city gov't turns thier eyes away from. Yeah I see new housing going up in the Coors and Central areas but I still would not move out there.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:43 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,875 times
Default S. of Central

Actually, there are at several very nice (and expensive) neighborhoods S. of Central...for example:

the neighborhood just E. of the old Lovelace Hosp. ($$$)
Ridgecrest ($$$$)
Four Hills($$$$)
the old Country Club area, W. of downtown, ($$$$$)

Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmderosa2k View Post
Harry you are right. I think the whole part of town south of Central ave has problems that the city gov't turns thier eyes away from. Yeah I see new housing going up in the Coors and Central areas but I still would not move out there.
Your right about the city gov....When i see state of the art beautiful medean landscaping on the Northwest areas and yet Central has little or cruddy landscapping thats a shame. Especially Central between Wyoming and Louisiana blvds is just Crappy over in that whole area. Its sad our city repesenative Heinrich cares about Nob Hill but has done nothing for east Central. Glad he's not running for city commish again.......

Old 08-11-2007, 10:46 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,272 times
How old are your children? The three high schools up in the NE heights, La Cueva, Sandia and El Dorado are all pretty good. Lots of good elementary & middle schools to pick from too.

I'm not as familiar with the west side schools though. They are building new schools up in Rio Rancho/Ventana, but with high growth comes congestion - I would consider that if you're looking for low stress.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,808 times
Thanks to all of you for the information. I have a good idea where to begin to concentrate our search for home and school. My husband and I are heading out in September to look around and explore. We are very excited and have heard wonderful things about Albuquerque. Thanks again for all the help!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque