U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 PM

149 posts, read 183,718 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am thinking of moving to Albuquerque from Lubbock. I have a job opportunity but my real reason for leaving Texas is that I have an ailing aunt who is weak and wheel chair bound. This is the reason I joined City-Data.

In our local news if there's murder, it seems to be in Albuquerque and in the South Valley. Not a rub but I'm just curious to know if the South Valley is a bad area.

While I sit on this job offer and ponder it, I was wondering what rents were like on single family homes in the Northeast Heights. Is that correct or is it just the Heights?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 PM

2,805 posts, read 4,414,923 times
Check out craigslist for a widespread sample.

There is such a thing as the SE heights, though it's a comparably small area. "the heights" usually implies NE heights but can connote both areas.

The S valley (depending on how it is defined) is physically not much smaller than Lubbock. It has nice spots and not-so-nice spots. Tends to be far more rural than one would think, this close to a major city.

Murders tend to be reserved here for domestic violence or are drug-related. There doesn't seem to be as much gang activity as in years past. Stay out of those three and it won't seem any different than Lubbock in terms of safety.

SFH's tend to be more expensive to buy E of the river than W of the river. As far as rents, there doesn't appear to be as large a difference.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 AM

631 posts, read 564,769 times
Murders in Albuquerque are talked about on the news in Lubbock on a regular basis?? That's bizarre.

The South Valley is not a bad area. It certainly has that reputation on these forums, but I've found most of those who give it that label are incredibly ingnorant as to the nuances and even basic facts about our entire area, yet alone the South Valley specifically.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,564,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68
I am thinking of moving to Albuquerque from Lubbock.
I have a job opportunity ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
... [ ... crime advice ... ] ...
Usually, Zoidberg gives this advice:

Move close to where you will be working.

Therefore, I have taken it upon myself to say it for him because I always agree with him.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Murders in Albuquerque are talked about on the news in Lubbock on a regular basis?? That's bizarre.

The South Valley is not a bad area. It certainly has that reputation on these forums, but I've found most of those who give it that label are incredibly ingnorant as to the nuances and even basic facts about our entire area, yet alone the South Valley specifically.
I'm sorry, I exaggerated. Let me clear things up. We get news of murders in Dallas, Houston, El Paso, Phoenix and yes, Albuquerque.

For its size, Lubbock is a pretty quiet city more like a big town. Years ago, I was watching channel 28 (the ABC affiliate) and they reported on three homicides in Albuquerque on the same day and to tell the truth the news didn't report on the locations in Albuquerque. After the report, the news crew switched to a live cam at a highschool tailgating party before the game started. How bizarre is that? Only in West Texas.....

So, I apologize for my ignorance, I know nothing of Albuquerque, this is true, except for the Zia Rifle and Pistol club, 5 guys burgers, Carmax and Sportsman's warehouse. I also apologize if I've offended you which is further from anything I had hoped to do.

I plan to rectify that with a visit this weekend to look at neighborhoods and rentals.

Lastly, I appreciate all the feedback provided me thus far. It's been very helpful especially from Zoidberg and mortimer.

Thanks again

Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM

Well headed to ABQ tomorrow and planning on looking at some places. I'll post my findings on Monday or Tuesday and if you're interested post some feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque