Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 28,768 times

Advertisements

I recently escaped from stream's call center in rio rancho(terrible place to work) and got back to working with my hands. Unfortunately my back is trashed now and it seems like I'll probably end up working a cushy job again like at a call center.

I've heard good things about verizon's call center. Does anyone have any reliable information regarding pay, bonuses, benefits, working conditions?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
I have no experience with Verizon's call center, but there are a variety of call centers in the Albuquerque and Rio Rancho area, my daughter has been working call centers for 10 years in the area.

I hope you check around.

Rich

Old 11-03-2010, 12:46 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,759 times
It's a call center. It's seniority based scheduling ( meaning: plan to work weekends ) with above minimum-wage starting pay ( 10-12 bucks an hour ) mediocre vacation ( 2 weeks, probably ) health coverage with a fairly high paycheck deduction and repetitive work.

On the plus side, there's free training, no outbound calling, and minimal education required. If you are of average or above average intelligence and tend to perform well while doing assigned tasks, you'll advance.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,108 times
One of my relatives has worked there since they opened here. He has been very happy and feels that overall he is treated with fairness - unlike other call centers (he previously worked at the AOL call center and apparently it was a horrible place to work). He has steadily advanced. The one complaint is that ever since he moved into a salaried position he has consistently been expected to work way more than the standard 40 hour work week. He often has to go in on his days off (pretty much every week) for various reasons (meetings, trainings, to complete payroll, etc). Then again, I am suspicious that all the additional time away from home is more a reflection of his marriage than actual work demands .

Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 28,768 times
Thanks for the responses.

marmom, that's true with salary jobs at pretty much any company. They figure that they can work you to death without it costing the company anything extra. Of course, work could also be kind of a "break" from home as well

Old 11-03-2010, 05:57 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
I guess you could say its repetitive work, as many customers call in very upset and call the operators every name in the book.

My daughter used to work there and is starting back there again next week. Maybe its not the glamour job some people think one needs to have, but it pays her bills and keeps her (and many others) out of the welfare system.

She used to work weekends, didn't mind it at all. They pretty much get to choose their shifts they want to work. And, she never had much taken out of her paycheck for deductions.

Good Luck at Verizon. They are very, very picky and hard to get a job with. Their pay scale, work conditions, ect are much like Stream.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 PM

426 posts, read 1,086,972 times
I applied at Verizon and NEVER got called back. Guess I wasn't their cup of tea. It's cool though. I ended up with something more up my alley.

The neighbor across the street worked there for some time. She said it was a nice, clean place to work. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I guess you could say its repetitive work, as many customers call in very upset and call the operators every name in the book.
Repetitive means doing the same thing over and over again. It's call after call from people who have questions about their cell phones. If someone does not like being tethered to a headset and computer all day, it's not the job for them.

ABQ, with a steady supply of HS graduates and GED recipients is, I am sure, a great place to set up a call center. The perceived cost of living is low, although I don't know anyone who could afford to buy a home or support a family while making $10 to 12 an hour.

I went through their interview process when they were opening up the new call center several years ago and it was very easy. Perhaps when you need to fill hundreds of slots, they were less picky than they are now.

If I had to do call center work ( and I'd rather do just about anything else, I do not like being tethered to a desk ) I'd try for HP in RR first. I think the chances of advancing into a higher paid position might be better.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
I am well aware of the definition of repetitive. I did not attend NM schools.

Would you prefer that these people who are making only $10-$12 per hour quit and go on the system? I highly doubt it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 PM

210 posts, read 408,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I am well aware of the definition of repetitive. I did not attend NM schools.

Would you prefer that these people who are making only $10-$12 per hour quit and go on the system? I highly doubt it.
I agree with your posting and want to thank you for sharing. Never thought I would see so much classism on the Albuquerque thread from Karmathecat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque