Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times

Advertisements

Getting back to the situation at hand, attached is a map of New Mexico median income by zip code, however, it is symbolized at the national level, meaning, most of our zip codes fall in the bottom 20% quintile. Albuquerque, in detail, contains four of the wealthiest zips, including the 87122 zip, which was the only zip code whose median income value was north of 100k in the state. Los Alamos is in 2nd place at $87544, the drop from here is precipitous, as Corrales is number 3 at $69369 and Sandia Park 4th at $67420, etc. 4 of the highest 13 zip codes belong to Albuquerque, per this data. The state median (the middle value of all data), per this dataset, is $31249. In contrast, the national median in this dataset is $39340, or more than 8k a year higher. So, suggested in another way, we are very poor, I think the 6th poorest state for median income.

Leaning On Moving To Albuquerque-nm-zip-codes.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Getting back to the situation at hand, attached is a map of New Mexico median income by zip code, however, it is symbolized at the national level, meaning, most of our zip codes fall in the bottom 20% quintile. Albuquerque, in detail, contains four of the wealthiest zips, including the 87122 zip, which was the only zip code whose median income value was north of 100k in the state. Los Alamos is in 2nd place at $87544, the drop from here is precipitous, as Corrales is number 3 at $69369 and Sandia Park 4th at $67420, etc. 4 of the highest 13 zip codes belong to Albuquerque, per this data. The state median (the middle value of all data), per this dataset, is $31249. In contrast, the national median in this dataset is $39340, or more than 8k a year higher. So, suggested in another way, we are very poor, I think the 6th poorest state for median income.

Attachment 72434

I hate to even look at that map, ouch

Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
As many of you know my wife and I are looking at retiring to New Mexico. The impoverished condition is similar to North Woods New England. This works to our advantage as my pension is just about as proportionately lower and the cost of living. I currently spend around $2,000 to 2,500 a month on the mortgage, taxes, electric service and associated costs. This does not go very far in southern New Hampshire. It will be a strain to live on 2/3 of my current income without a drop in expenses. Hence, the move to NM. Not that the climate, clean air, dark skies, open space and good food have anything to do with our interest in the place.

I suggest to the OP that he do a proper business plan before moving. The plan should include working for established services before starting his independent business.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,846 times
You say you are from Texas, which part? If you are wanting to know where Albuquerque lies in comparison to Texas, well it really depends on where in Texas? For example I'm from North Houstron, Woodlands area to be exact and that area is greatly richer than the majority of Albuquerque. If you are wanting to compare Albuquerque to the downtown or South Houston areas then I think that would be more accurate of what Albuquerque looks like on the poverty scale. Albuquerque also views fitness as more of a priority than most Texans do. I've actually read that New Mexico is one of the most "fit" states in the US but I don't have the proof to back that statement up.

You said that there isn't really anyone in this area in your line of work. I think you are mistaken. I don't think that Albuquerque would be such an active city if it didn't have it's fair share of trainers and I don't think my OB would have given me 3 pages of prenatal certified massage therapists if the city was lacking in people who were massage certified.

That said, Albuquerque is a VERY poor city compared to most major cities in Texas. I don't care to live in Albuquerque and can't wait till the end of next year when my husbands job transfers him back to Texas. You better have something amazing to offer the people of Albuquerque if they are going to shell out (what seems implied to be large amounts of money) for something they can probably get cheaper right down the street from them.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyWero View Post
You better have something amazing to offer the people of Albuquerque if they are going to shell out (what seems implied to be large amounts of money) for something they can probably get cheaper right down the street from them.
Yes a very rich culture and a plethora of outdoor activities. People such as yourself need to stop comparing Albuquerque to other major cities. Yes, Albuquerque has it drawback, but what major city doesn't? If Albuquerque isn't your cup of tea, you have 49 other states to choose from. Not sure what source your citing for rent comparison, but it would be nice to attach it with some data before you go making an baseless comment.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 PM

17 posts, read 32,463 times
The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness

No evidence? Do you even live here!?

It might be the huge mountain with unlimited foot trails just twenty minutes away, that ABQ is one of the most bike friendly cities in America, that many professional athletes reside here when training, one of the biggest UFC gyms is located here, the infinite amount of parks!?

I believe a couple years ago ABQ was ranked as the fittest city in America, but this year they were ranked third. The texas cities are terrible for fitness, so many fat people it blows my mind. I love dallas and will eventually go back though because the job opportunities are second to none.

Also, comparing ABQ to the woodlands or houston? how silly, cities are a world apart demographic wise and economically.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,138 times
I don't care for Houston or Texas in General. The thing about Texas is so many people are coming there from every corner of the U.S. that everyone is competing for the money and jobs. You've got independents popping up EVERYWHERE. The only exception is San Antonio, which is still huge, but everyone isn't flocking there like Dallas and Houston. Its growing, but not at the pace of Houston aka Jupiter and Dallas aka Saturn LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque