Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Rich, if you continue west on Southern. Where does that lead to? My cousin took me for a spin in his 4x4, about a mile west of the paved section. The road just kept leading out to the sunset. Was sort of weird and eerie driving on a road to no where. I was also surprised to see a few nice homes out that way.
Southern ends in Rio Rancho, then you are in the Rio Puerco Basin...

This is just west of the end of southern: 080420 Rio Puerco - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/poncho_nm/sets/72157604649904849/detail/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:37 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

This is just west of the end of southern: 080420 Rio Puerco - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/poncho_nm/sets/72157604649904849/detail/ - broken link)
wow. how far out were these pictures taken from?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
wow. how far out were these pictures taken from?
Less than a mile from the end of Southern Boulevard...

Rich

Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
I love driving around out there. I think everyone should take a drive out there at least once. Just be alert to cattle.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

This is just west of the end of southern: 080420 Rio Puerco - a set on Flickr (080420 Rio Puerco - a set on Flickr - broken link)
Current link:
080420 Rio Puerco - a set on Flickr

ADDED: The photos are not really Rio Rancho, it is part of the "Rio Puerco" area, that is what you see when you wander to the end of Southern Boulevard in Rio Rancho.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-26-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 AM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
The same development company that set up Rio Communities and attempted Rio Del Oro also were involved initially with the big Rio Rancho land sale. I think they were Horizon Development. Most of the bare scrub land seems to be marketed on the E-auction site and elsewhere and geared towards those who do not live around here. It never ceases to amaze me how many of these vacant lots go to forclosure and are listed for sale due to back taxes once the "lucky new owners" realize what they bought. Or maybe they get here and try to find their 1/4 acre out in the desert and realize they really don't want to camp or live there.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
The same development company that set up Rio Communities and attempted Rio Del Oro also were involved initially with the big Rio Rancho land sale. I think they were Horizon Development. Most of the bare scrub land seems to be marketed on the E-auction site and elsewhere and geared towards those who do not live around here. It never ceases to amaze me how many of these vacant lots go to forclosure and are listed for sale due to back taxes once the "lucky new owners" realize what they bought. Or maybe they get here and try to find their 1/4 acre out in the desert and realize they really don't want to camp or live there.
Shades of Rio Grande Estates in Valencia County..

My cousin in Nevada emailed me over the summer all excited that he'd bought 2 acres in Rio Grande Estates for $200 off ebay - I sent him pix of what he'd purchased and laughed.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
AMREP Southwest, Inc. is the principal developer of the city of Rio Rancho. Not related at all to Rio Communities, Rio Del Oro or Horizon Development. As of the 2010 census, Rio Rancho had a population of 87,521 with over 18,000 households. Rio Rancho is the third largest city in New Mexico.

REFERENCES:
AMREP Southwest, Inc. | Developing the Future of Rio Rancho
Amrep Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rio Rancho, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 10,617 times
Default Rio Rancho mystery vacant street grid

I heard on the radio once that it had to do with the way roads were funded in New Mexico. Local governments for a while could get new streets built by the state at no charge to them. Some communities like Rio Rancho went wild with it and built for decades into the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque