Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:37 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times

Advertisements

In the ABQ 2002 Master Plan, it says that in the future, a new additional terminal will be built, and will be connected by an automated people mover system.

With the reduced capacity that the Albuquerque Sunport gets today, I wonder if this terminal will ever be built. Many airlines have reduced mainline service into ABQ (Delta and Southwest being the main exceptions), going mostly to regional jets. I don't really see the point in such a terminal if airlines continue to reduce capacity into ABQ.

The experimental services to Puerto Vallarta (Frontier/Lynx) and Chihuahua (AeroMexico Connect) have both failed as well. Also, ABQ has lacked a nonstop flight to the NYC area ever since Continental discontinued their service to EWR. I would like to see Delta try an ABQ-JFK flight that is timed properly for international connections though (unlike Continental's ABQ-EWR flight which was timed only for origin and destination traffic).

While the population of the Albuquerque MSA continues to grow, airlines continue to reduce capacity into ABQ. Maybe if the population continues to grow in 2020 it will reverse the airlines' decisions to reduce capacity into the market.

So, does anyone think the new terminal will ever be built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 03:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,341 times
The way Master Plans work is that they state what the plan is, if there is ever a necessity, in this case, a new terminal.

I think of course a new terminal will eventually be built, there is no way this terminal can last into the 22nd century

Population has little to do with Airlines' choices, it is all demand based. As soon as there is demand (either from population or tourism) to increase the number of flights far passed the gate capacity of the Sunport terminal, then you will see it built. I don't see this being an issue in the next decade. Look at Austin Bergstrom Intl, about the exact same gate capacity as ABQ, yet more flights, demand, and population. Looking at any current projections of population, I would say a new terminal will not be built in the near future. I could see major renovations and expansions where possible if needed (ie baggage claim, gate seating, etc.).

Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
The way Master Plans work is that they state what the plan is, if there is ever a necessity, in this case, a new terminal.

I think of course a new terminal will eventually be built, there is no way this terminal can last into the 22nd century

Population has little to do with Airlines' choices, it is all demand based. As soon as there is demand (either from population or tourism) to increase the number of flights far passed the gate capacity of the Sunport terminal, then you will see it built. I don't see this being an issue in the next decade. Look at Austin Bergstrom Intl, about the exact same gate capacity as ABQ, yet more flights, demand, and population. Looking at any current projections of population, I would say a new terminal will not be built in the near future. I could see major renovations and expansions where possible if needed (ie baggage claim, gate seating, etc.).
Well, of course, Atlanta isn't the most populated metro in America, however, Hartsfield-Jackson is the world's busiest airport thanks to Delta's mega-hub there. Most of ATL's traffic is not origin/destination traffic, but connecting traffic.

While Southwest kind of operates a mini focus city at ABQ, most of ABQ's traffic is origin/destination traffic, not connecting traffic.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,250 times
I don't think that a new terminal will be built in the next decade. The travel volume is low, ABQ is not a hub or travel destination for the entire state. No easy ground transportation to get to the southern part of the state. Cabs don't accept credit cards. No large body jets fly into Sunport.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,929 times
I don't see any need to expand the airport. We fly in and out once or twice a year and it works just fine for us. As for transportaition to the southern part of the state we just RENT A CAR!!! We travel from Albuquerque to Ruidoso a couple of times a year and just rent a car. Seems pretty easy to me.

Last edited by JDTH; 12-26-2010 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: not quite sure

Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I don't see any need to expand the airport. We fly in and out once or twice a year and it works just fine for us. As for transportaition to the southern part of the state we just RENT A CAR!!! We travel from Albuquerque to Ruidoso a couple of times a year and just rent a car. Seems pretty easy to me.
Possibly, although ELP (El Paso) is another option. I know that is the airport most Las Crucens use. Still, Roswell has regional jet service to DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth) on American Eagle.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,929 times
We use the El Paso airport about 2 or 3 times per year also. Much shorter drive to Ruidoso. We are spending our first Christmas in Ruidoso and are loving it. We will by driving back to El Paso on Tuesday and flying back to Tempe.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM

28 posts, read 46,154 times
Where to start... I have no idea, but I will tell you, I've emailed the Sunport and they told me the consturction will start when demand is high enough, and like abqsunport says, population is nothing, here are some true routes:

Vancouver: POP-2 million, they are just STARTING a non-stop flight to Dulles, and ABQ (500K) has had it for a long time

Salt Lake City: Pop-2.3 million, they don't even have a Dulles flight, and US Airways only flies to PHX (Considering SLC has overseas flights)

Newark: POP-A bit :P, They don't have a UAL flight to LAX

those are just a few, and I am a strong supporter of SWA's expanding and international service of ABQ, I mean, SWA has a plane (New Mexico One) Only for Albuquerque! I mean SWA doesn't go anywhere in NM does it?

So I think it will be built soon, but not the "near" soon...

And also, go here: Albuquerque International Sunport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and look at our service, compare it to El Paso, Omaha, Amarillo, Tuscon and other cities, we have quite a bit more, and like I started in another thread, routes we need are:

ABQ-JFK, PHL, MILwuakee, and SOMEWHERE in Mexico..

And if you read on wiki, (and its true, I checked) UAL, Delta and... Delta :P use 757s now, UAL to Denver in November, Delta to Atlanta in Marchish and Delta to MSP in May... Phew

Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,221 times
With all due respect, it's pretty clear you don't know a lot about the airline industry. Routes are not added based on population, but on demand and with a hub and spoke system, demand based on actually routes traveled.

EWR-LAX has long been served by CO, and with the merger comes the UA service.

SLC feeds into DEN and is the primary hub used by UA for the West Coast. UA Express ( SkyWest ) also has SLC-ORD service and SLC-SFO service and the CO merger adds more flights for UA out of SLC. Adding a SLC-IAD would do what exactly?

PHL is barely a hub, JFK has no open slots, MIL (? WHY ? )

Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
With all due respect, it's pretty clear you don't know a lot about the airline industry. Routes are not added based on population, but on demand and with a hub and spoke system, demand based on actually routes traveled.
Still, I bet it'll get built before the I-40 Manzano Truck Bypass Tunnel Andros was so eager about..

The one that was to be funded by toll fees on Paseo del Norte..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque