Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:10 PM

253 posts, read 1,305,941 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned a section of Albuquerque with great shops, upscale sort of place. I think he said it was "Northeast" Alb? Does this sound right? Can anyone describe the area in terms of housing costs, accessibility to things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 07:29 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,766 times
Here is a link to Abquptown:

ABQ Uptown - Shopping in Albuquerque - Upscale Retail and Residences ©2006 HBC Land LP (broken link)

I think there are plans to put some reidential stuff in that development.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:08 PM

150 posts, read 792,067 times
Default Uptown vs. Upscale

The other member is correct about the "Uptown" area, which is really being developed commercially at present. It "roughly speaking," lies between Menaul Blvd. and I-40, on either side of Louisiana Blvd. This area is also midway between the two major, but older shopping malls, Winrock & Coronado. With the exception of luxury-type apartments, and condos though...the housing in the surrounding areas is older...mostly 50's and 60's.

The most "Upscale" residential areas for homes inside the Albuquerque city limits, would include the Tanoan area (gated) NE of Academy/Eubank; and the Sandia Heights (w/"natural landscaping"), east of Tramway Blvd. up into the foothills of the Sandia Mountains. North of Spain or Academy off Tramway especially. In the Rio Grande Valley, the mini-community of Los Ranchos de Albuquerque is also an area of very nice homes.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:30 PM

Wow. Great information. Thanks so much for your help, both of you!

Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 PM

One other thought - I have to move to NM in 6 weeks, and am thinking of renting an apt until I figure out where to buy. Are there any upscale apt complexes that would be good for a 40-yr old single female? Rent up to 1400/mo? I like to be near the action, i.e., great restaurants, shops, health clubs, etc. thanks again.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:21 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Many upscale apartment areas, but would probably recommend the numerous tall apt. buildings in Uptown to be near what you described. I believe the Landmark is one.

Uptown's epicenter is Louisiana Blvd. & Indian School Rd. NE. Pretty much all apartments within walking distance of there are quite upscale. Google maps should help you from there.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:45 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Uptown's epicenter is Louisiana Blvd. & Indian School Rd. NE. Pretty much all apartments within walking distance of there are quite upscale.
While I would have to agree with the Landmark apartments meeting the description of "upscale", I would be very careful with other properties in the area. Particularly any containing the name "Warren". These are the properties I tend to think of when I picture apartments in the immediate Uptown area. Absolute crap-hole apartments featuring weekly rents and plenty of questionable characters.

Also to follow-up on nm_photojournalist's post: for future home consideration, North Albuquerque Acres (roughly bordered by I-25, Paseo del Norte, and the Sandia Indian reservation) would also be considered among the most upscale areas for homes. And within Los Ranchos de Albuquerque (North Valley), you may want to check out Tinnin Farms or any of the properties along Chavez Road.

Chap

Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
mmckenna queried:

> Are there any upscale apt complexes that would be good
> for a 40-yr old single female? Rent up to 1400/mo?

Where are you going to be working? Downtown looks like
it has some places like that. Being able to park your car
all week has a lot of appeal if you work in that area.

There is also a nice tall apartment tower on 14th SW
a block off Central. I've been in one of those and it
was pretty nice when I was there in about 1995.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 36,203 times
No one ever mentions this but I would wish they had when I moved here. Be careful on where you live because of the water quality . Abq has one of the worse arsenic problems in the US. The only safe areas are : Sandia Heights Arsenic level: 0, Near the university( this includes parts of downtown) Level: 2 and Near abq uptown and Winrock with level 3. Federal regulation says at least below 10. Real number is below 4 you will notice that most places in abq are over 14 or higher: check: ABCWUA - Water Quality - 2005 Water Quality Report Download
Also beware of crime rates near downtown depending on where you live.
If you live in sandia heights bare in mind that public transportation is non existent. On the other hand most of the trendy spots are moving closer to this area ( lots of development in paseo del norte and you are close to wyoming and eubank ). Best place to live in the area is primrose but there are no apartments or houses for rent there. REnt on sandia heights for a 3 bdr house is about 1400 maybe this will work for you. CHeck HotPads.com - Search for Apartments for Rent, Rental Houses, Homes, Sublets, and Roommates
Additionally the trendy section of uptown is about 3 or 4 blocks long and then its over. I do not know where you are moving from but abq is pretty patchy in terms of trendiness compared to other cities (ie. really trendy block and very low key one next to each other). I think that is part of abq's charm.
Hope this helps you

Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 PM

96 posts, read 410,212 times
I found this very useful website where they rank Apartments in Abq (and other cities).

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...buquerque.html

You can see places rates from the 80% range down to the 20% range.

If nothing else, it has links to lots of places to check out if you are out of town and researching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque