Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmaschiles
.... for some people it costs a good deal of money.
I'm not judging you, FWIW.

I agree that you totally have the right to fight it. That's a very
American thing to do, I just wouldn't think it would be worth it.

What do you think this ticket is likely to cost you?

You wrote " for some people," but I don't really understand.
Why would your case be different than for "other people?"

In any case, I hope you get vindication if you are going to pursue it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 01:30 PM

366 posts, read 868,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christmaschiles View Post
As for being treated like everyone else... I don't think any person should be spyed on by a hidden van

If they can't have a camera on a van photographing cars on a public street, that means I or any business can't have a security camera that sees the street. It means you can't record a news article with the camera facing the street as cars drive by. It means you can't take a picture of a landmark or a flower or your buddy if there are cars in the background.

I'm sorry you don't like the fact that people can see you and takes pictures of you in public without your knowledge or permission, but that is a freedom we all have and that I am thankful for and you aren't going to get anything dismissed by claiming otherwise, leave that part out of your argument.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times
I believe the cameras take photos of license plates.

Perhaps your best source for information would be a lawyer. None of us are lawyers and therefore are not qualified to give legal advice.

As for the CosmicScorpio, it appears to me that you are dishing out the same judgmental reactions that you are accusing the posters of doing.

Red light cameras do work IF people would obey a red light, which they don't. I've seen more people run a red light here in one day than I ever saw in a year back east. Red is supposed to mean STOP, not keeping on going. In fact, we got flipped off one day for not running a red light. Some people do not think a red light applies to them.

DO NOT say that no one cares that Karma's daughter is disabled, because I care. Karma is teaching her to stand up for herself and not be totally dependent on her mother, as there will come a day (hopefully many years from now) that her mother will not be there for her.

As for the Moderators, they can take care of problems themselves.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christmaschiles View Post
My fiance was given a photo enforced ticket for speeding. However, we feel the ticket is a violation of her civil rights because there was no sign posted on the street where the so called violation occurred. My question is... does a sign declaring photo enforced speeding need to be posted within 300 feet of the ticket location? The ticket was recorded by a van. They claim the picture proves guilt (laughs). Anyways... I am wondering if any person could help with information about new mexico law regarding photo enforcement. Thanks for any help in advance
If it were true that it was a violation of your civil rights there would have been a class action lawsuit in every state that allows the cameras and possibly a national class action lawsuit a long time ago. My wife is an attorney and has been for over 25 years but only practices in Arizona.

If you want to try and beat the ticket and hire an attorney I can almost guarantee you it will cost you more to fight it than it would to pay it.

In Paradise Valley, AZ they have speed cameras set up in fake cacti without any signs posted at all. Usually it is up to each city as to what the law is regarding posting of warnings. Most warnings are just to slow you down.

Just another opinion as I do not practice law.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,231 times
Not to be pedantic (my mother used to call me that a lot, along with facetious) but I think the OP's fiance was speeding and not running a red light!

I can see the argument against red light camera's, people see them at the last minute and slam on their brakes causing fender benders, I don't like the speed camera's either as they have caught me on more than one continent.

I'm not sure why there is a law requiring them to notify you that they are going to record you breaking the law, but there is and if it does apply to mobile units too then your fiance should be free and clear since the law is the law after all.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM

366 posts, read 868,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicScorpio View Post
a break from your emotional, judgemental reactions to read the links posted by the asker.
Ummm kettle meet pot?

This thread isn't about whether the red light cameras are good or bad or whether Moderator cut: a company is corrupt. It isn't even about red light cameras (which I believe don't even check for speeding any more).

The real question here is, "Do the mobile speed detections vans need to have warnings posted notifying you of their presence?"

It sounds like it should, but it would be nice to find a source that specifically states that one way or the other.

That said I and others jumped on the civil rights violation because it is clearly not and it was the second question the poster asked:

So photographing people without their knowledge is not a violation of their civil rights?

The answer is no, photographing someone is public is not a violation of their civil rights, whether they know about it or not. Apparently people who value their right to photography in public areas must be creeps in the shadow?

There does seem to be some emotional judgmental reactions occurring in this topic....

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-05-2011 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Excuse me, but I am AlisonL, always have been, always will be. I am NOT Karma. If you will read back through other posts, you will realize that I live in Rio Rancho, Karma lives in ABQ. She has young children. I am older than she is and I have grandchildren.
But, whatever you think is right. LOL

Old 01-05-2011, 04:14 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicScorpio View Post
Thanks for those tidbits Karma..I mean..Alison. However if you have read the original post it doesn't have any thing to do with red light cams. I also posted a link which if you still think red light cams make things safer, you failed to READ IT. Aweful funny that Karma's profile said her name was Alison about ten minutes ago..now it says no name at all. It's not okay to teach a little handicapped girl it's okay to stand up for herself if if other people can't stand up for themselves as well. Even if it is in the face of the law. Any parent who would use their own handicapped child in a discussion simply to get a leg up is a pathetic, selfish parent. You aren't fooling anyone but yourself.
I can assure you that my profile NEVER said my name was Alison, or anything else. I have never disclosed my name on this forum. Profile updates are viewable and mine does not show any recent changes, does it?

Alison lives in RR and I live on the West Side. She is from Maine and I am from California. We are two completely different people and usually have completely different views on things.

I am not dignifying your insulting remarks about my relationship with my children, my husband, or who paid for my house or what I do for a living with a response other than you obviously have no clue as to how I lead my life.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Karma,
He must not have read our profile info too well. But I guess being they are a new poster...well, you know how they are.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Karma,
He must not have read our profile info too well. But I guess being they are a new poster...well, you know how they are.
Maybe there were too many big words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque